The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this, I’ve been looking for a good solution.

Last trip it was jerry can into a Mr Funnel, as fuel contamination was an issue. Inevitably messy.

This time I was trying a regular jerry can spout (total fail), and a jiggle siphon (still a bit messy but actually not too bad).

I’m stuck with the siphon for now but I’ll put one of these on order.
I found an older video.
The comment section is noteworthy.
View: https://youtu.be/ZCOVCKl_-E8?feature=shared

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:32 AM
Reaction score
Grenadier 1 : Simpson Desert 0

Arrived Mt Dare after a solid two days/one night crossing.

French Line was pretty hard going, temperatures were hot but not brutally so - mid to high 40s with a peak of 51C.

As mentioned elsewhere we would have been closing on GVM, with 80L of auxiliary fuel and 55L of water on board.

We ran the tyres at 16psi front and 18 rear. Pleased to report no punctures/failures.

Didn’t have to break out the shovel or maxtrax.

One particularly talc-y dune took three attempts but everything else the Grenadier marched up and over with minimal fuss.

Reported average speed 20kph, average fuel consumption in very challenging sand was 19.6L/100kms.

Aircon was running full blast (we are safari windows and no tinting) but cabin temperature was no issue.

The overnight stop:
View attachment 7832190
Fancy chairs (y)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW: I've had excellent service from the Scepter (Canadian HDPE plastic MILSPEC) 20L jerry cans. The vented spout is stowed inside the can and forms part of the airtight (= fumeless) cap. When assembled, the spout protrudes deep into the filler , past the internal flap and pours effortlessly. Properly maintained, they don't leak...
The 'squat' version is the best for stability and 'ergonomics'. Repco currently have them on "special"(A$31.20 for NRMA/RACV/RACQ etc members vs A$39 normally). Can also get spare parts... https://www.repco.com.au/4x4-advent...er-fuel-jerry-can-diesel-20l-08837/p/A9555338

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
Fuel transfer: I use the priming siphon for outboard motors (boats). Usually less than $20 and super easy to start the siphon. In my 109 the jerry is on the roof and the tanks beneath the front seats, so quite quick flow.

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Sahara, Dasht e’Lut, Rub al Khali, Gobi… done all of these and they’re as hot while being seemingly even more hostile to life.
I guess this is what I had in mind. 45 feels like 35 versus 45 feels like the surface of the sun.

That said, co-pilot is from Somerset and is not quite so heat acclimated. :)

Didn’t see a single vehicle between Birdsville and Dalhousie Springs.
Sounds like the cooling system is ok then. Reassuring. And the AC appropriately sized.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I reckon you could do that.. but it looks like a bucket load of hassle. Plus you've then got to to deal with all that fuel piping filled with fuel. If you need to put it in the car everything is going to smell.
I'll be using the Leyland bros/ Malcolm Douglas method until I'm too old to lift the can!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll be using the Leyland bros/ Malcolm Douglas method until I'm too old to lift the can!
I fixed the spout before today’s top-up (the seal was incorrectly seated) and then that went fine.
Meh, that‘s now jumped ahead of the siphon for ease of use.

This is what happens doing stuff while fatigued - operator inattentiveness.

Today’s SNAFU was the pin and seal of the fire extinguisher rattling apart over corrugations… leading to accidental discharge.
Rear loadspace now lightly dusted with extinguisher powder as well as red dust.

Also learned the tyre temperature alert threshold is 70C.

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
I fixed the spout before today’s top-up (the seal was incorrectly seated) and then that went fine.
Meh, that‘s now jumped ahead of the siphon for ease of use.

This is what happens doing stuff while fatigued - operator inattentiveness.

Today’s SNAFU was the pin and seal of the fire extinguisher rattling apart over corrugations… leading to accidental discharge.
Rear loadspace now lightly dusted with extinguisher powder as well as red dust.

Also learned the tyre temperature alert threshold is 70C.
I've found the Willow branded Jerry cans are great. You can put them in the back of the car and not worry about them stinking out your sandwiches.

They are a little slower to pour - but all the two opening ones I've tried leak.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've found the Willow branded Jerry cans are great. You can put them in the back of the car and not worry about them stinking out your sandwiches.

They are a little slower to pour - but all the two opening ones I've tried leak.
I’m a bit of a plastic jerry can sceptic. You’ve found these durable?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Mine all have R pins. Because what can go wrong - will!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
so dust ingress due to opening and closing the doors or through the seals / vents @globalgregors ??
I think it’s just a result of the barn doors, and the rear door needing a good solid closure.
Close the right door and the dust is mobilised from the spare wheel, and then channelled by the left door into the loadspace.
Close the left door and allow to settle on all your stuff.

At least I think that’s what’s happening.

Dust accumulation between the inner and outer seals is a bit of an issue, it has fouled the hinge on the left door making it graunchy to open/close.

What it needs is an air blow gun, which I don’t have fitted as yet. Or a spare wheel cover. Or a swing away mount for the spare. I reckon if you keep the dust accumulation on the spare down most of the issue would be alleviated.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think it’s just a result of the barn doors, and the rear door needing a good solid closure.
Close the right door and the dust is mobilised from the spare wheel, and then channelled by the left door into the loadspace.

Dust accumulation between the inner and outer seals is a bit of an issue, it has fouled the hinge on the left door making it graunchy to open/close.

What it needs is an air blow gun, which I don’t have fitted as yet. Or a spare wheel cover. Or a swing away mount for the spare. I reckon if you keep the dust accumulation on the spare down most of the issue would be alleviated.
Exactly the same whole process as I found recently, including the graunchy hinge on small door. Lots of dust from spare. Id been on a track withi a lot of fine dust, but I was surprised by how impossible it would be to control. I also thought of air compressor, but it would need an external outlet, and be able to be powered and started before opening rear doors.
rear doors might need a boot over the greased parts.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Yes I had the same issues out in the red dust. The back gets quite dusty but it closing the doors that does it

Back
Top Bottom