The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

GavinD

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Loving this trip/blog..... be great if you could upload maybe the map/way that you went when finished.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Grenadier in the Sturt Stony Desert.

Hit Birdsville in time for the P&C’s Melbourne Cup luncheon, which has pretty much closed town for the day.

Minor malfunction with an Off-road Mode error. 10 minutes of lots of bings and bongs but settled down with no impact on forward progress.

Seems to be triggered by inertia so I suspect it’s an ESC fault.

System also decided to repeatedly alarm on TPMS but again settled down after a reset.

IMG_1118.jpeg

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah; temps of around 40 in the shade; what is the car reading as outside temperature?
Look after yourselves, and enjoy the comfortable car!!

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Yeah; temps of around 40 in the shade; what is the car reading as outside temperature?
Look after yourselves, and enjoy the comfortable car!!
I've been out there a few times now in those temps. When the sun is on it's just a furnace.

If the car has a well shaded temp gauge you will see those temps (low 40's). If you are directly in the sun be prepared to be several degrees about the shade temp. I was out there in late September and I saw up to 48 in the sun. It's just insane.

From a car perspective everything that gets hot will be under strain. Also the sand aerates and gets very very soft so everything works that much harder.

I'll be interested to hear how well the car AC performed. In 2018 everyone sat in the car at lunch because it was just too hot outside the car. Having a good awning helps.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've been out there a few times now in those temps. When the sun is on it's just a furnace.

If the car has a well shaded temp gauge you will see those temps (low 40's). If you are directly in the sun be prepared to be several degrees about the shade temp. I was out there in late September and I saw up to 48 in the sun. It's just insane.

From a car perspective everything that gets hot will be under strain. Also the sand aerates and gets very very soft so everything works that much harder.

I'll be interested to hear how well the car AC performed. In 2018 everyone sat in the car at lunch because it was just too hot outside the car. Having a good awning helps.
We’re seeing high 30s at this stage with a peak of 38. Engine, gearbox and transfer box temperatures have remained stable.

Tyre temps have peaked at 59 - I haven’t established the alarm threshold (70?). Tyre pressures 28psi cold rise to 36psi warm. I’ll drop to 20 cold in the desert and will expect more like 28.

AC has coped fine so far, set and forget on 21C.

That said, things break in deserts, often at the most inopportune time. Touch wood.

We appreciate the concern!

EDIT: Confirmed tyre max temp alarms at 70C

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
We’re seeing high 30s at this stage with a peak of 38. Engine, gearbox and transfer box temperatures have remained stable.

Tyre temps have peaked at 59 - I haven’t established the alarm threshold (70?). Tyre pressures 28psi cold rise to 36psi warm. I’ll drop to 20 cold in the desert and will expect more like 28.

AC has coped fine so far, set and forget on 21C.

That said, things break in deserts, often at the most inopportune time. Touch wood.

We appreciate the concern!
Take a photo of Eyre creek for me. The diversion is still in place. There were lots of EMU a month ago.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I was in the Desert Uplands region of central Western QLD a couple of weeks ago and got temps in the 40s for several days highest I saw was 49° C. Engine and driveline temps remained reasonable, aircon kept up. The fan noise outside the car was extreme but ok inside and only once did the jet take off for 10mins after shutdown IMG_5027.jpeg

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Take a photo of Eyre creek for me. The diversion is still in place. There were lots of EMU a month ago.
Is it up and over again? Seems to be a common occurrence.
Last time I crossed the Ayre (diversion) most of rhe track was as greezy as with most of it clay, and there was a definite pucker moment, with the water at the crossing coming well over the bonnet and a high bank to get up on the eastern side.

Although the “desert” looked more like an English cottage garden at the time.

IMG_4759.jpeg

Last edited:

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Grenadier in the Sturt Stony Desert.

Hit Birdsville in time for the P&C’s Melbourne Cup luncheon, which has pretty much closed town for the day.

Minor malfunction with an Off-road Mode error. 10 minutes of lots of bings and bongs but settled down with no impact on forward progress.

Seems to be triggered by inertia so I suspect it’s an ESC fault.

System also decided to repeatedly alarm on TPMS but again settled down after a reset.

View attachment 7832000
no way - you just photoshopped the Grenny onto Mars

Local time
Reaction score
Is it up and over again? Seems to be a common occurrence.
Last time I crossed the Ayre (diversion) most of rhe track was as greezy as with most of it clay, and there was a definite pucker moment, with the water at the crossing coming well over the bonnet and a high bank to get up on the eastern side.

Although the “desert” looked more like an English cottage garden at the time.

View attachment 7832017
If flooded earlier this year.. it's still up. Doesn't look like the main track will be open this year. (the desert closes 1 december)

Back
Top Bottom