The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier almost killed me (or/and someone else)

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I had a very scary moment with my IG a few days ago.
I decided to write about it, because I feel that Ineos doesn't care about Grenadier owners, whatsoever.
More on that, later. Now, the incident:
It was an early cold morning, driving on a very busy national road (Romania, DN1). I was just hitting the road, so I pressed the driver seat heating button to warm up a bit. After a few seconds and some dings and dangs, the telltale screen was lit like a Christmas tree, with errors on all major systems - steering, gearbox, abs, esc, brakes, hydraulics, engine. I continued to drive, because the car was driving normally and I was being used to the IG's bugs and quirks. While driving, I called the local dealership to investigate, because the last time I drove the IG was back from the dealership after the service interval (software update, fluids and filters) - I thought it has something to do with the software update. The guy there was always very helpful, he sincerely apologized and suggested that I should restart the car to see if it goes away. It didn't go away after the first restart, but something strange was happening - the car would not move when accelerated, and the ESC telltale was flashing like I was on some very slippery surface. I called the technician again, and he advised to take a break for the system to reset, which I just did. After 5-10 minutes, the car started normally, no errors whatsoever. It was very drivable. At least for a while... because now comes the near-death-experience moment... My route required to take a left on this busy national road. Keep in mind that this is a very busy road, with no central barrier, six lanes, and no traffic management in place, and the usual speeds are between 80 to 120 km/h. Turning left usually takes anywhere between one to even 10 minutes if you are unlucky or slow to take off. As I just said, I was waiting patiently at the intersection for a gap in the traffic, the gap came so I pressed the accelerator firmly. The car accelerated normally for a second, then it brake itself and stalled in the middle of the f#cking street. I heard the brakes of the other cars on the opposite lane, hurling towards me at 100km/h. All traffic got halted. I had to restart the car once again, this time it drove normally and I could clear the intersection. Luckily, nobody was hurt... But I've never been so embarrassed in my entire life. I drove the car back to the dealership. While driving, I contacted Ineos International Roadside Assistance, which was not so helpful, with no technicians immediately available on the phone, but at least someone from the tech called me later that day. I told him the story, the car was already at the Ineos dealership for investigations.

Apparently, a rock somehow managed to damage the wheel speed crown on the rear wheel , and the car would spiral into a meltdown.
This is the Ineos official ticket: AA1052865
The guys from the local dealership don't know how to handle this issue (warranty or not), so the car is grounded in the meantime.
Same communication issues from the BMW dealership to Ineos, it seems it's Ineos specific, which is a damn SHAME!
INEOS, get YOUR shit together, mate!

Attachments

• IMG_8175.jpeg
    IMG_8175.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 61356891-7591-4b99-be05-f2e6c703d939.jpeg
    61356891-7591-4b99-be05-f2e6c703d939.jpeg
    311.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 37c09a27-64fe-4484-b83e-abb74bc2871c.mov
    3.3 MB
  • 19deedf0-4059-4c5e-9432-a1870b849acf.jpeg
    19deedf0-4059-4c5e-9432-a1870b849acf.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 83
  • c9bd7496-3f82-4d0f-b07b-fe19e8b964a5.jpeg
    c9bd7496-3f82-4d0f-b07b-fe19e8b964a5.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 81

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
What a nasty experience! Luckily nothing severe happened! I understand that your trust in the car now is severely limited.
This would of course be my first reaction.
Nevertheless I did not understand why you think that Ineos does not care.

Local time
4:24 PM
Reaction score
Roadside assistance do not have technical expertise. The strategy of roadside assistance is not to diagnose your problem over the phone.

In fact Ineos’ roadside assistance is probably contracted out to a company that performs operators service for various road assistance brands

Back
Top Bottom