The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Fuel tank auxiliary

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
I love the idea of a bigger fuel tank, having come from a 120 series prado with 180 litres.
I did just watch a YouTube video of a group doing the canning stock route (where you need the big fuel capacity) . Their BD replacement/additional tank (under a troopy, the replacement tank was 180 litres by itself) began to leak then had a major crack, needed to be drained and was no longer usable.
Probably because of the size of it, and rough conditions, but I don't know. Food for thought if I was planning a trip like that. The plastic tanks on the side and roof have redundancy advantages.
Having said that, the track was also very overgrown. You could cop a stick through a tank on the side just as easily.

Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
I love the idea of a bigger fuel tank, having come from a 120 series prado with 180 litres.
I did just watch a YouTube video of a group doing the canning stock route (where you need the big fuel capacity) . Their BD replacement/additional tank (under a troopy, the replacement tank was 180 litres by itself) began to leak then had a major crack, needed to be drained and was no longer usable.
Probably because of the size of it, and rough conditions, but I don't know. Food for thought if I was planning a trip like that. The plastic tanks on the side and roof have redundancy advantages.
Having said that, the track was also very overgrown. You could cop a stick through a tank on the side just as easily.
The BD tank sits above the Ineos Grenadier rear bash plate, so it is well protected and very well made, it is reinforced where it needs to be reinforced, and the welds are excellent.
I have had a few BD tanks in the past, SWB Land Cruiser, SWB Nissan Patrol, Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 manual, and I always fit them my self, this BD Ineos Grenadier tank is superior.
I have done 1,400km on dirt so far with the BD tank fitted and am leaving tomorrow for a week in the Flinders Ranges, the Flinders has some good tracks.
One note is if you transfer fuel from the BD tank to the main tank while driving it confuses the Ineos fuel gauge, but if you fill the tank with the vehicle switched off it is the same as filling from the service station so the fuel gauge works fine.

eddyoz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I just finished installing the Brown Davis tank to my diesel Grenadier a couple of days ago up my driveway, so outside in the middle of winter it took me more than the 6 hours that Brown Davis quote, in fact more like 12 hours.
I don't think I work as fast as I used to, but if I did another one I think it would be 2 to 3 hours quicker, so probably 9 or 10 hours.
There are a couple of things left off the instructions that may help others, one is you have to cut the captive nuts off the rear bash plate support legs and repaint them so that you can attach the support brackets for the new tank.
The instructions don't give you the length to cut off the factory tank entry 38mm filler hose to install the new truck stop friendly filler neck and T junction, the answer is 40 - 45mm so to get to that length I did a 15mm cut, then an attempted fit, then another 15mm and a attempted fit, then 10 mm, and it then fitted, that will save you a bit of time.
The supplied loom wasn't long enough, but I used A firewall grommet as the entry point, ( the instructions want you to go through the floor ) but adding some extra wire is an easy fix.
For the power supply for the fuel pump and fuel gauge I used the front right footwell auxiliary power outlet ( very easy ) as there was no way I was going to use the supplied interruption clamp in to an ignition wire as suggested in the instructions.
I like the idea of being able to transfer fuel in to the main tank while at camp, and without the ignition on.
But overall the tank is very well made, and fits perfectly, and no special tools are required.
If you have access to a hoist the fitting time may be closer to the quoted 6 hours.
The 2 supplied "hose fuel emission 38mm X 60mm length" would be far easier to fit if they were 100 to 120mm in length.
Overall I am happy with the quality of the Brown Davis tank.
I used a V6 ( Buick motor for Americans ) VN Commodore steel fuel filter as they are the biggest inline fuel filters you can get, instead of the small in comparison Brown Davis supplied plastic fuel filter.
Brown Davis must be continually improving.We did not cut off any nuts nor the factory entry filler hose,the loom was long enough when run inside the body picked up ign jumper fuse from fuse box.Agreed had to obtain from local outboard shop a length of 38/40mm fuel filler hose to ease fitment of the supplied aux tank filler pipe,also removed /replaced the obstructive brake hose bracket.Only used the supplied P clamp to secure the larger replacement filler but made up a bracket to secure the ad blue filler to the original mounts.The system works well,if pump is left on ,it will merely circulate between the tanks ,not overflow.no problem using hi flow nozzleGood idea using metal filter Ryco S4413.All in all a straight forward install,the hoist made it easier.Driveway job would have us suffering for days after.
No doubt Brown Davis and LRA will eventually produce a similar tank for petrol models able to utilise the Ad blue tank area.

Attachments

• AdBlue].jpg
    AdBlue].jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Pclamp.jpg
    Pclamp.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
Yep from all reports they are very good. I'll probably end up doing it too, seems a very good option especially if towing a van, which is in our future plans. I'd say (in that particular case) it was more the size of that tank, and prevailing conditions .

Local time
5:12 AM
Reaction score
Brown Davis must be continually improving.We did not cut off any nuts nor the factory entry filler hose,the loom was long enough when run inside the body picked up ign jumper fuse from fuse box.Agreed had to obtain from local outboard shop a length of 38/40mm fuel filler hose to ease fitment of the supplied aux tank filler pipe,also removed /replaced the obstructive brake hose bracket.Only used the supplied P clamp to secure the larger replacement filler but made up a bracket to secure the ad blue filler to the original mounts.The system works well,if pump is left on ,it will merely circulate between the tanks ,not overflow.no problem using hi flow nozzle.All in all a straight forward install,the hoist made it easier.Driveway job would have us suffering for days after.
No doubt Brown Davis and LRA will eventually produce a similar tank for petrol models able to utilise the Ad blue tank area.
That is interesting, they must be constantly improving as you said, I also made a similar bracket with some scrap steel but used it to secure the hi flow filler pipe, I used the original mounting spot for the ad blue if I remember correctly, but that was one of the last jobs after a long day so I may be confused.
Yes I was a bit sore, a hoist would have been nice.

Back
Top Bottom