The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Front and Rear Differential locks (how to)

Douglas

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi, I am wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction (possibly a training video) on how to use the front and rear diff locks.

Not that I need them right away as I have not even had the vehicle off-road yet (I would just like to know if they are working as they did not at the dealer.

The person in charge of showing me everything on the vehicle (and 2 others) at Knauz Grenadier in Lake Bluff IL at the dealer did not know how to engage them, they tried to tell me while I was there but all we got was grinding they admitted when they were at their training they did not need to use them.

4x4Brick #1561

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I've had mine off road a couple of times and couldn't get the front or rear to engage. I could get the center. Watched the videos, read the manual, no luck. Even went to the dealership on a Sat and they said I needed to come during the week when XXX was there. So hopefully someone knowledgeable will respond to educate us. It's NOT intuitive.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
First thing is to put the transfer case into locked and low range. Then when stationary - and not on a high grip surface - press the rear difflock button.
If that doesn't activate the locker you might have a problem.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
To build on what @Tazzieman stated; press the button for approx 1 second, you'll see the light on the switch begin to flash; this will occur until the vehicle confirms that the diff lock has engaged; not specifically that it has or hasn't yet engaged. This may take quite a few rotations of the wheels and is normal.

Likewise to disengage.

For the front locker, the rear locker must be engaged first, then same process for the front as the rear.

When disengaging; front should be disengaged first, then rear, then center. Disengaging anything downstream will disengage the "upstream" as well. For example, if you have all 3 diffs locked, and you unlock the center, it will force the unlock of the front and rear.

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
First thing is to put the transfer case into locked and low range. Then when stationary - and not on a high grip surface - press the rear difflock button.
If that doesn't activate the locker you might have a problem.

Locking rear/front diffs when stationary is good advice for a first time user. Once you get used to the procedure, it’s OK to engage them when moving very slowly (up to 15km/h with no spinning wheels) as long as you’re in low range with centre diff locked, and on a low traction surface. 🙂

NotHerDecision

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a newbie but did receive some instruction from the dealer and I’ve used them probably 15 times in the past 48 hours.

1. The center diff works in a square pattern only. So high to high locked is just straight to the right and high to low is straight down. You cannot make diagonal moves with the center diff.

In addition, you can lock and unlock the center diff while in motion but you need to move from high to high or low to low.

Once the center diff is locked, you will see this on your tell tale. If you get the grinding noise, turn off the ignition and restart and try it again, it will grind if it is not locked.

2. As mentioned above, once the center diff is locked then you can press the rear lock button. This needs to be pressed and held about 1 second and it will flash until it locks then it will go solid. Typically you will want to drive while this locks.

3. Same as #2 for the front locker.

A couple other things: the hill decent will not work with lockers engaged as it needs to control each wheel and if they are locked it cannot. Also, the off-road mode button requires a press and then a second press to confirm. This is not intuitive since nothing else requires this 2nd press.

I used all of these functions on trails today. I climbed rocks, went through mud, and spent hours on trails with significant grade both acending and descending.

Hope that helps! Go practice

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a newbie but did receive some instruction from the dealer and I’ve used them probably 15 times in the past 48 hours.

1. The center diff works in a square pattern only. So high to high locked is just straight to the right and high to low is straight down. You cannot make diagonal moves with the center diff.

In addition, you can lock and unlock the center diff while in motion but you need to move from high to high or low to low.

Once the center diff is locked, you will see this on your tell tale. If you get the grinding noise, turn off the ignition and restart and try it again, it will grind if it is not locked.

2. As mentioned above, once the center diff is locked then you can press the rear lock button. This needs to be pressed and held about 1 second and it will flash until it locks then it will go solid. Typically you will want to drive while this locks.

A couple other things: the hill decent will not work with lockers engaged as it needs to control each wheel and if they are locked it cannot. Also, the off-road mode button requires a press and then a second press to confirm. This is not intuitive since nothing else requires this 2nd press.

I used all of these functions on trails today. I climbed rocks, went through mud, and spent hours on trails with significant grade both acending and descending.

Great tips. 🙂

For anyone wanting a summary of the Grenadier's off-road functions …

Douglas

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I did lock the center in low and was in off-road (which they told me I needed to be in, in order for this to work). I then tried to lock the rear and it was red flashing with a triangle exclamation point. We tried multiple times allowing the vehicle to roll a little forward as well.

Thanks I will try again

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
I did lock the center in low and was in off-road (which they told me I needed to be in, in order for this to work). I then tried to lock the rear and it was red flashing with a triangle exclamation point. We tried multiple times allowing the vehicle to roll a little forward as well.

Thanks I will try again
to my knowledge (on trails) you don't need to be in off-road mode for your diffs to be locked (or have diffs locked to put on off-road mode). But sometimes the transfer case levers are a little "stiff" so getting your center diff to lock in 4L or 4H can be a little tough at first - it loosens up the more you use it. For mine, I have to jiggle the locking lever a bit to make sure the clip/lip you pull up on clicks all the way down to fully lock into 4L or 4H locked position. so if you hear grinding and it has trouble locking, you may want to try jiggling the handle some before you move out of neutral (in the case of locking 4L)

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Really simply.

1. Select Low range (gearbox in neutral)
2. Centre diff locked
3. Rear locker on (stationary or low speed).
4. Front locker on (stationary or low speed).

You can’t lock the axle diffs in high range or without the centre locker in.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Really simply.

1. Select Low range (gearbox in neutral)
2. Centre diff locked
3. Rear locker on (stationary or low speed). Press once then again to confirm.
4. Front locker on (stationary or low speed). Press once then again to confirm.

You can’t lock the axle diffs in high range or without the centre locker in.
Not quite!. You do NOT press the diff lock switches twice. That's for Off Road mode and Wading mode activation
To engage the diff locks, (assuming you're in low range locked, and are either stopped or moving slowly with no wheel spin), just press the switch for the rear diff once and hold for a full 1 second interval. That's it. Then do the same for the front diff if it's required....

Baron von Teuchter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Oh that’s really weird, I put them on yesterday and I’m SURE I had to press once then again to confirm. Now I’m doubting myself 😂😂😂

I will check tomorrow

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Oh that’s really weird, I put them on yesterday and I’m SURE I had to press once then again to confirm. Now I’m doubting myself 😂😂😂

I will check tomorrow
The light indicator doesn't go off "immediately" so I caught myself pressing the switch an additional time. Also found sometimes need to "move a smidge" forward for the system to "get it" that it's not on anymore.

Back
Top Bottom