The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Driver's side instrument cluster

PAV

Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Firstly, I'd like to extend a well-deserved congratulations to the INEOS Grenadier team for such an amazing accomplishment. Launching a purpose-built and capable vehicle worldwide is no small task.

There's a lot to like about this vehicle - too much to mention here. One thing, however that I find questionable is the omission of an analog-style instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. My understanding is this was moved to the center stack (digital) display to afford the driver maximum visibility, however I believe the engineers missed an opportunity by not at least offering customers an option to mount real gauges behind the steering wheel. IMHO, this could have been done by including an ODB-style multi-pin port on top of the dash (just above the driver's side indicators) as an interface for a custom gauge cluster.

Just a thought.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to test driving a Grenadier when the final production vehicles land here in North America.

-pav

Last edited:

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:24 AM
Reaction score
I thought the display was a bit difficult to see during my driving experience in Bridgeport Tx. Seems like a speedometer and tach would have worked out nicely behind the steering wheel as you mention.

PAV

Local time
Reaction score
I thought the display was a bit difficult to see during my driving experience in Bridgeport Tx. Seems like a speedometer and tach would have worked out nicely behind the steering wheel as you mention.

From what I've seen and read online, the lack of driver-facing instrument gauges was a sore spot for some reviewers.
TBH, I'm not a big fan of center stacked gauges - especially on a single digital display. It reminds me of the "cute" center stack on early Toyota Yaris models, which eventually went away once Toyota "caved-in" and added driver's side gauges on later models.
There's also the concern for a lack of redundancy should the center display ever fail in extreme temperature conditions (just ask some GM SUV owners).
IMHO, adding an ODB port interface to the dash would also provide a market opportunity for aftermarket gauge OEMs.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I must admit, I like the idea of an interface in the dash board. Is there anyone with enough technical expertise who could assess if it would be possible to retrofit that? I guess that would need enogh space under the dashboard and a deviation from the ODB wires…?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
Firstly, I'd like to extend a well-deserved congratulations to the INEOS Grenadier team for such an amazing accomplishment. Launching a purpose-built and capable vehicle worldwide is no small task.

There's a lot to like about this vehicle - too much to mention here. One thing, however that I find questionable is the omission of an analog-style instrument cluster behind the steering wheel. My understanding is this was moved to the center stack (digital) display to afford the driver maximum visibility, however I believe the engineers missed an opportunity by not at least offering customers an option to mount real gauges behind the steering wheel. IMHO, this could have been done by including an ODB-style multi-pin port on top of the dash (just above the driver's side indicators) as an interface for a custom gauge cluster.

Just a thought.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to test driving a Grenadier when the final production vehicles land here in North America.

-pav
wiiyii Car HUD Head Up Display P6, OBD+GPS Smart Gauge, Works Great for Most Cars https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0957S3F3H/?tag=theineosforum-22

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I must admit, I like the idea of an interface in the dash board. Is there anyone with enough technical expertise who could assess if it would be possible to retrofit that? I guess that would need enogh space under the dashboard and a deviation from the ODB wires…?
iKKEGOL 1 Feet/30cm 1x Male and 2X Female J1962 Ports Ultra Low Profile Left or Right Angle OBD2/OBDII Y Splitter Flat Ribbon Cable https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B00U11NQW2/?tag=theineosforum-22

PAV

Local time
Reaction score
wiiyii Car HUD Head Up Display P6, OBD+GPS Smart Gauge, Works Great for Most Cars https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0957S3F3H/?tag=theineosforum-22
Thanks @AnD3rew - precisely to my point! An ODB connector at the top of the dash where a gauge like this can simply snap-on would be ideal.
The better-engineered option would be to include a modular (built-in) bracket so that the gauge cluster can be safely and securely fastened - this would be consistent with the "modular" design approach of the center console panels.

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
For me , the lack of gauges in my field of view is actually a cool feature of the car ☺️
You don't need a tacho, and a slight sideways glance at the speedo takes as long as a slight glance at the "missionary position" speedo of every other car on the road.

PAV

Local time
Reaction score
For me , the lack of gauges in my field of view is actually a cool feature of the car ☺️
You don't need a tacho, and a slight sideways glance at the speedo takes as long as a slight glance at the "missionary position" speedo of every other car on the road.
Understood. Some people can get tired of viewing "missionary" ;).
To each his own, but not having the option to include (an interface for) an instrument cluster behind the wheel is a missed opportunity IMHO.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:24 PM
Reaction score
I'll be adding an AM centered speedo - looking left all the time to see if I'm doing 60 or 64 isn't good. Not when speeding fines in Aus can be anything from 3km over!!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'll be adding an AM centered speedo - looking left all the time to see if I'm doing 60 or 64 isn't good. Not when speeding fines in Aus can be anything from 3km over!!!
Have you driven one?
You don't look left , it's the merest glance.
Must be awful to be driving so close to the edge of a fine all the time. Really stressful.
That and the humungous footwell. OMG!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The trend over the past 15 years has been constantly diverting information/feedback in front of the driver to gauges/screens in a centralised area within the front cockpit.

I suspect this will only continue as part of automotive design development towards driverless vehicles.

I tend to agree with Tazzie - your eyeballs move across occasionally but not really your head.

Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
I had no problem with the lack of gauges during my test drive - it was easy and intuitive to glance at the central screen. However, this was 100% off road and I was just following the car in front - so not an ideal test for getting a feel for it.

(I have some concerns about the long-term reliability of the screen though - especially in 10+ years if replacement units are no longer available. But that's a different problem!)

Michael H.

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Have you driven one?

I agree. Having driven one a couple of times now, I can say that the large digital speed readout in the centre display is actually easier to see than the traditional speedo in my current car (Toyota Fortuner). It’s much higher up than a traditional speedo, it’s within my peripheral vision, and it’s not down in the shadows.

Kb6tho

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
FWIW… I actually found the visibility somewhat better than my 110 in that things were always in my peripheral vision 👍

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
let's get the cars and drive first!
everything else comes afterwards
This is my approach, I have been tempted to buy a whole lot of stuff like lightbars, HUD, USB hubs and a heap more, but I have controlled myself. I will get the car, drive it for a while and see what bothers me and what doesn’t and then decide. I will see if the stock auxiliary lights are enough before putting a light bar on the bullbar and potentially restricting air flow. I will wait to see if the speedo in the centre bothers me before I buy a HUD etc.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
The trend over the past 15 years has been constantly diverting information/feedback in front of the driver to gauges/screens in a centralised area within the front cockpit.

I suspect this will only continue as part of automotive design development towards driverless vehicles.

I tend to agree with Tazzie - your eyeballs move across occasionally but not really your head.
By law it has to be in line of sight of the driver when looking straight ahead.
So I am sure it is super fine.
Besides you will be looking slightly to the centre anyway due to the windscreen wiper and footrest problems

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Have you driven one?
Must be awful to be driving so close to the edge of a fine all the time. Really stressful.
That and the humungous footwell. OMG!
Agree, I now rely more on my Waze GPS speed on car play than on the car speedometer as it reads about 7 kph under the actual GPS speed, so I am Already used to looking there, and on the highway I tend to set cruise control anyway. But time will tell

Back
Top Bottom