The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Double cab / pickup gets a name ~ Quartermaster

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
If the payload is around 750KG and the tub weighs over 250kg then they should definitely sell a chassis cab version. This would give them the 1000kg payload. This is what the other manufacturers do, eg a ford transit double cab is sold as a chassis cab rather than a tipper because it wouldnt have the 1000kg payload if the tipper was mounted on registration.

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier isn't an SUV and the Quartermaster isn't a truck so not surprised if it doesn't work
The Grenadier certainly is a SUV. Ineos can market it as a 4x4 but with all the fancy bells and whistles it’s well beyond utilitarian and into SUV territory.

And maybe I’m missing the joke, but the Quartermaster is a pickup truck…

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
The Grenadier certainly is a SUV. Ineos can market it as a 4x4 but with all the fancy bells and whistles it’s well beyond utilitarian and into SUV territory.

SUV's don't have solid axles, SUV's are designed for on road use and part time 4x4. BMW X3/5/6 are an example of an SUV's
Almost all 4X4's have "bells n whistles as you say

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
I would say, in the USA, it is an SUV.

From Wikipedia:

A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a car classification that combines elements of road-going passenger cars with features from off-road vehicles, such as raised ground clearance and four-wheel drive.

There is no commonly agreed-upon definition of an SUV and usage of the term varies between countries. Thus, it is "a loose term that traditionally covers a broad range of vehicles with four-wheel drive."[1] Some definitions claim that an SUV must be built on a light truck chassis; however, broader definitions consider any vehicle with off-road design features to be an SUV. A crossover SUV is often defined as an SUV built with a unibody construction (as with passenger cars); however, the designations are increasingly blurred because of the capabilities of the vehicles, the labelling by marketers, and electrification of new models.[2]

There is no universally accepted definition of the sport utility vehicle.[10] Dictionaries, automotive experts, and journalists use varying wordings and defining characteristics, in addition to regional variations of usage by both the media and the general public. The auto industry also has not settled on one definition of the SUV.[10]

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would say, in the USA, it is an SUV.

From Wikipedia:

A sport utility vehicle (SUV) is a car classification that combines elements of road-going passenger cars with features from off-road vehicles, such as raised ground clearance and four-wheel drive.

There is no commonly agreed-upon definition of an SUV and usage of the term varies between countries. Thus, it is "a loose term that traditionally covers a broad range of vehicles with four-wheel drive."[1] Some definitions claim that an SUV must be built on a light truck chassis; however, broader definitions consider any vehicle with off-road design features to be an SUV. A crossover SUV is often defined as an SUV built with a unibody construction (as with passenger cars); however, the designations are increasingly blurred because of the capabilities of the vehicles, the labelling by marketers, and electrification of new models.[2]

There is no universally accepted definition of the sport utility vehicle.[10] Dictionaries, automotive experts, and journalists use varying wordings and defining characteristics, in addition to regional variations of usage by both the media and the general public. The auto industry also has not settled on one definition of the SUV.[10]
I suppose we are all looking at this form a regional perspective, In AU a "truck" is used to carry goods, an SUV is what your wife drives the kids to soccer on a Saturday, a 4X4 is what we use to go bush in.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score

Owners of 4 x 4 utes or pickups in the US just call them trucks because they want to sound "manly" and tough.
It reminds me of a story of two woman talking and one says "not only did he lie about the size of his yacht but he made me row it too.
These are trucks.

1689437714704.png
1689437539132.png 1689437567374.png1689437624173.png

Attachments

• 1689437570503.png
    1689437570503.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 3

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
Owners of 4 x 4 utes or pickups in the US just call them trucks because they want to sound "manly" and tough.
It reminds me of a story of two woman talking and one says "not only did he lie about the size of his yacht but he made me row it too.
These are trucks.

View attachment 7820125
View attachment 7820121 View attachment 7820122View attachment 7820124
Those would be "Semi-trailer Trucks"! :D

From Wikipedia:

A semi-trailer truck, also known as a semitruck,[1] (or semi,[2] eighteen-wheeler,[3] big rig,[4] or tractor-trailer)[5][6][a] is the combination of a tractor unit and one or more semi-trailers to carry freight.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer_truck#cite_note-12 A semi-trailer attaches to the tractor with a type of hitch called a fifth wheel.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
If the payload is around 750KG and the tub weighs over 250kg then they should definitely sell a chassis cab version. This would give them the 1000kg payload. This is what the other manufacturers do, eg a ford transit double cab is sold as a chassis cab rather than a tipper because it wouldnt have the 1000kg payload if the tipper was mounted on registration.

I like what your thinking as that would be handy - if they have a very heavy bed, taking it off and replacing it with a much lighter deck and canopy can give this thing a major advantage in the segment. I would be incredibly thrilled if Ineos partnered with Norweld or Mits to offer such a setup in the configurator but that may be ambitious!

However if the QM has a 250kg bed, it will be about two to three times the weight of similarly sized trucks I think. According to this, it looks like beds of this size typically weigh 150-250 lbs, not KGs - the 8 foot beds get closer to that KG but I would wager that the QMs bed might max out at about 350lbs generously. It still has benefits in terms of net payload, but 350lbs isn’t far off the weight of a tray and canopy, so the net payload gain might not be as generous as you’ve suggested.

I’m hopeful they made the bed super heavy and robust though so this math works more favourably for payload!

@DaveB Im going to steal that “made me row it” joke, I laughed out loud on that one.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I like what your thinking as that would be handy - if they have a very heavy bed, taking it off and replacing it with a much lighter deck and canopy can give this thing a major advantage in the segment. I would be incredibly thrilled if Ineos partnered with Norweld or Mits to offer such a setup in the configurator but that may be ambitious!

However if the QM has a 250kg bed, it will be about two to three times the weight of similarly sized trucks I think. According to this, it looks like beds of this size typically weigh 150-250 lbs, not KGs - the 8 foot beds get closer to that KG but I would wager that the QMs bed might max out at about 350lbs generously. It still has benefits in terms of net payload, but 350lbs isn’t far off the weight of a tray and canopy, so the net payload gain might not be as generous as you’ve suggested.

I’m hopeful they made the bed super heavy and robust though so this math works more favourably for payload!

@DaveB Im going to steal that “made me row it” joke, I laughed out loud on that one.
Yeah, it might be a stretch to shave another 250kg off the weight. From a UK perspective the weight of the tray or whatever you put on the back doesn’t matter as the car will be registered with the chassis cab payload whatever that may be.. the spare wheel is probably close to 50kg, thats would be another saving. Once its registered with a 1000kg payload all the stuff can be added back on aftermarket.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
Hot take: price and payload aside, it’s just not a good looking truck. But I also don’t like the Gladiator, so what do I know?

Maybe it has something to do with Land Rover pick-ups being so uncommon stateside. The clipped rear of the cab is not something that has been seen here a lot. I've never seen a Defender 130 in person and the QM just doesn't immediately look familiar but is growing on me.

Gladiators somehow look more akin to old Toyota FJ/BJ45 series pickups and seem okay looking. Not sure why as the Glads lack the rounded rear cab corners, capped roofs, and other distinguishing features of the 45.

Local time
Reaction score
Heres the 130 pickup ... it's a bit sad but is all there.
Obviously a different class/era from the Ineos QM

This is an early 300tdi version built in 1994.

130-1.jpg
130-2.jpg

Not mine BTW, I just did a @DCPU and sourced someone elses work ...
Plagerism, the finest form of flattery :)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Heres the 130 pickup ... it's a bit sad but is all there.
Obviously a different class/era from the Ineos QM

This is an early 300tdi version built in 1994.

View attachment 7820145
View attachment 7820147

Not mine BTW, I just did a @DCPU and sourced someone elses work ...
Plagerism, the finest form of flattery :)
In the late eighties we used to use the predecessor to the 130 Defender that was the 127” with the 3500cc V8 petrol engine. I was building power lines at the time and we used to work them real hard and fully loaded. They were a great bit of kit and took a beating. I hope the Quartermaster which I think is 127” will be up to that sort of work. That will be a real test for them and would be great if Ineos can get some out to the utility companies to test out. Often power lines traverse the most remote and rough terrain so would would be a great test of the Grenadiers durability.

Local time
Reaction score
I liked the 'rounded' back to the cab on the old LR pickups, the obvious difference with the QM is that the back of the cab is flat (I see from pictures etc).
This will make it a lot easier to fit againt rear tilts or covers and for the van-back people.
Easier to fit a commercial compartment/hut so hopefully it will be attractive to the utility companies as @Logsplitter said.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Those would be "Semi-trailer Trucks"! :D

From Wikipedia:

A semi-trailer truck, also known as a semitruck,[1] (or semi,[2] eighteen-wheeler,[3] big rig,[4] or tractor-trailer)[5][6][a] is the combination of a tractor unit and one or more semi-trailers to carry freight.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-trailer_truck#cite_note-12 A semi-trailer attaches to the tractor with a type of hitch called a fifth wheel.
Wiki is a heavily weighted American crowd sourced information base. So not always particularly relevant to the rest of the world.

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe it has something to do with Land Rover pick-ups being so uncommon stateside.
You’re probably right. When I think of a classic looking pickup, a 1960/70s Ford F-100 comes to mind.

I’m curious to see how well (or poorly) the QM sells stateside.

Local time
Reaction score
<snip>
I’m curious to see how well (or poorly) the QM sells stateside.

I think it won't do that well. Not because its ugly or crap but because it's not an American pickup.
It's a lightwieght compared to the modern F series.
It has a comparatively small and complex engine along with a lot of other European stuff that you guys see as restrictive or unneccesary.
It's more of a French Pastry than a Full Rack of ribs sizzling on a BBQ.
More fizzy pink wine than a 6 pack of St Arnolds Lawnmower or a bladder full of Budweiser.
And it's really expensive compared to an F-350 XL too

It will appeal to some but not to the Texas/mid-western markets (IMO)
It's new too so that doesn't inspire confidence either, it needsto earn that rugged-n-reliable factor.

I'm speccing one and am close to paying the deposit as I think it fits the European/British psyche, it certainly fits the roads and will pretty much do what I want it to do which includes replacing my existing Toyota Hilux.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just realized something. It’s not the Ineos Quartermaster, but rather the Grenadier QM. Which seems a bit odd TBH - a bit like the odd Land Rover Range Rover conundrum.

Back
Top Bottom