The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

CBN

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:18 PM
Reaction score
i pulled out the one-way breather vent fitting from atop the rear diff on the weekend. it definitely can only exhaust diff casing air, thread measures: M10x1.0
Seems like most of the off the shelf kits are for 1/8 breathers 😒

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This maybe useful to discussion.

RED WINCH Synthetic Rope: At 12m (40 ft.) of usable rope, this is largely an impracticle length (bit over a few car lengths) in the majority of recoveries, not only for a double line pull or using a snatch block/winch ring. Adding a 30m extension does not assist, you dont winch with that end. The winch rope diameter also determines length with the available space on the winch drum, usually a 12,000lb winch has 10 mm.

RED WINCH PLASMA LOCK : This is really useful (refer YT How to attach a winch rope: (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eokeJokyX9Q
)

Maintaining a synthetic winch rope: It is essential to regularly maintain a synthetic winch rope (unlike steel cable) from dirt especially regular washing and retensioning, depending on use.
Many refrences on the net, (https://ultrawinch.com.au/blogs/how-to/how-to-clean-and-tension-your-synthetic-winch-rope)

Last edited:

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

RED WINCH Synthetic Rope: At 12m (40 ft.) of usable rope, this is largely an impracticle length (a few car lengths) in the majority of recoveries, not only for a double line pull or using a snatch block. (Adding a 30m extension does not assist, you dont winch with that end).

You keep saying this stuff but it’s not entirely true. Adding an extension absolutely does help. You may need to reset with a shorter winch rope if you need to move the vehicle a longer distance but it absolutely helps you to reach your anchor point. Saying it doesn’t assist is just silly. It’s not ideal if you are trying to winch yourself up a mountain, but many recoveries are just popping the vehicle out of a hole. We all would prefer a longer rope, but we don’t have one. It doesn’t render the winch useless.

And yes you can do a double line pull, you may just have to set it up a bit differently.

Attach extension to vehicle take extension through snatch block and connect to winch rope, winch. Easy. If you need to adjust the length of the extension you either choose an anchor point further away, or use an x-lock or similar to shorten.

The Grenadier winch rope is attached with a plasma lock.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:18 AM
Reaction score
You keep saying this stuff but it’s not entirely true. Adding an extension absolutely does help. You may need to reset with a shorter winch rope if you need to move the vehicle a longer distance but it absolutely helps you to reach your anchor point. Saying it doesn’t assist is just silly. It’s not ideal if you are trying to winch yourself up a mountain, but many recoveries are just popping the vehicle out of a hole. We all would prefer a longer rope, but we don’t have one. It doesn’t render the winch useless.

And yes you can do a double line pull, you may just have to set it up a bit differently.

Attach extension to vehicle take extension through snatch block and connect to winch rope, winch. Easy. If you need to adjust the length of the extension you either choose an anchor point further away, or use an x-lock or similar to shorten.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

For those engaging in purchasing accoutrements for a winch accessory kit for the factory-option RED winch, make sure your pulley is able to hold the rope size (11mm from memory); most of what you'll find in the US for a 10,000-12,000 pound winch will be designed to operate with 9mm (3/8") rope.

As @AnD3rew mentioned, if your winch extension is too long, the X-Lock, or a locally preferred favorite the Recovery 8, are perfect tools to shorten the rope without diminishing its strength. And of course, if you end up having to reposition and reconfigure several times during a winch pull it isn't a "perfect" scenario, but, let's be honest, no vehicle recovery is ever perfect, if it was, there wouldn't be a recovery involved.

One big thing that we harp on over and over during our recovery classes is that while there are absolutely wrong ways, there is never only one right way in vehicle recovery

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

For those engaging in purchasing accoutrements for a winch accessory kit for the factory-option RED winch, make sure your pulley is able to hold the rope size (11mm from memory); most of what you'll find in the US for a 10,000-12,000 pound winch will be designed to operate with 9mm (3/8") rope.

As @AnD3rew mentioned, if your winch extension is too long, the X-Lock, or a locally preferred favorite the Recovery 8, are perfect tools to shorten the rope without diminishing its strength. And of course, if you end up having to reposition and reconfigure several times during a winch pull it isn't a "perfect" scenario, but, let's be honest, no vehicle recovery is ever perfect, if it was, there wouldn't be a recovery involved.

One big thing that we harp on over and over during our recovery classes is that while there are absolutely wrong ways, there is never only one right way in vehicle recovery
Thank you. 👏

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:18 PM
Reaction score
Yes but not on a thread about diff breathers...

At some point it goes too far off topic. Why not start your answer on a winch thread and link back to the question here; or even start your own thread - it's good info, and deserves not to be "lost" in a completely unrelated thread?

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
And

and yet no diff or transmission breathers and these ones were known to cause a problem.
OOPS I forgot - Landrover
My defender rear axle and transfer case i think ended up under the rear floor - you have to wonder when you see water coming over the bonnets of old Defenders how much water gets into those vents - i dont think they are one way valves as they are supposed to vent in and out as the rear axle ( front axle , gearbox too ) heats up and then cools - I extended them much higher and fitted a standard clear automotive fuel filter on the top allowing it to breathe but not let dust in

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
My defender rear axle and transfer case i think ended up under the rear floor - you have to wonder when you see water coming over the bonnets of old Defenders how much water gets into those vents - i dont think they are one way valves as they are supposed to vent in and out as the rear axle ( front axle , gearbox too ) heats up and then cools - I extended them much higher and fitted a standard clear automotive fuel filter on the top allowing it to breathe but not let dust in
Hi Nguni, It would be great if you show photos and let us know what products you used to extend the diff breathers. DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
Not on a thread about diff breathers...
At some point it goes too far off topic. Why not start your answer on a winch thread and link back to the question here; or even start your own thread?

Are you new to Internet Forums @DCPU ?
Or are you angling for the forum policemans job ??

Maybe you feel you should be a moderator ?
Adjusting posts and opening new threads etc ...

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you new to Internet Forums @DCPU ?
Or are you angling for the forum policemans job ??

Maybe you feel you should be a moderator ?
Adjusting posts and opening new threads etc ...
Well as the contributor of the transfer case breather info I was quite happy for DPCU to create a new thread on the topic. The forum search tool is good but a little housekeeping and structure will go a long way to keeping the info accessible. I'm sure we have all discovered hidden gems inside unrelated threads and thought 'that belongs in its own thread', but not done anything about it. I appreciate DPCU's desire to maintain some order.

Local time
Reaction score
There you go @DCPU you have a purpose.

@Stu_Barnes can you alter @DCPU 's status from "Vetean Contributor" to something more applicable for his role ?
Librarian ?
Recorder of Sasines ?
Chief Organiser ?

Oh no ... are we off topic and should we start a new thread ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Nguni, It would be great if you show photos and let us know what products you used to extend the diff breathers. DaBull

On my off road vehicles (Defenders and Toyotas) I have extended the breathers using the fittings that @DCPU posted in post #154 - (post #154 in this thread, which could be in other threads too).
Not exactly that same type to be honest as the T7 design will rust reasonably quickly, I favour brass fittings when under a car.
I use a 6mm OD polyurethane pipe (PE air tubing) to run along the axle to it's A frame pivot point and then along the chassis up into the engine bay.

When up at 'bonnet level' I fit a manifold with the original breather (from the axle).
On a defender you fit a 4 way to accommodate the axles, bell housing and timing cover.
Part of the annual maintenance would be to blow through the tubing with an air line.

Here's an example of the type of fittings i suggest you would use : (other sellers are available)

Here is the manifold.

The pipe.

Clips (or you can use zip-ties)

Last edited:

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Seriously buddy, @Miki, let’s drop the attitude.
We appreciate your experience and Grenadier based contributions to the forum.
@DCPU is a veteran contributor as he continues to provide us with great research/opinions that we can choose to apply or ignore - and he has done this for a long time.
Let’s leave the attitude for the clowns over at Facebook please.

Local time
Reaction score
Well as the contributor of the transfer case breather info I was quite happy for DPCU to create a new thread on the topic. <snip>

But why ?
This thread is about Diff breathers, that's its title.
Your post was on topic, in accordance with the theme of the thread (ok it was the transfer case not the Diff - but it's the same really)
It's full of content relating to Breathers on a grenadier.

How many threads about the same subject do we need ?
Is there a competition to see how many threads one person can create ?
Do you win prizes by having your name identified as being the person who has originated more threads than anyone else ?

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
@Miki, this is obviously a personal matter. And I find it embarrassing to bother the colleagues here in the forum with your personal resentments. If you have even a bit of format, then you better refrain from it. Then you're doing yourself and everyone else here a favor.

If anyone here thinks they are being treated incorrectly, they can complain about it themselves, you are not needed for that. But if you feel you have to do that, you're no better than what you're complaining about here.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
But why ?
This thread is about Diff breathers, that's its title.
Your post was on topic, in accordance with the theme of the thread (ok it was the transfer case not the Diff - but it's the same really)
It's full of content relating to Breathers on a grenadier.

How many threads about the same subject do we need ?
Is there a competition to see how many threads one person can create ?
Do you win prizes by having your name identified as being the person who has originated more threads than anyone else ?
Fair question. This is my final comment on this because, ironically, this is now off-topic. You do appear determined to be offended by DPCU's actions. Your contributions elsewhere are valued and appreciated and I'm puzzled why you have chosen to dig in on this.

If DPCU wants to spend his time creating new threads it's not for me to tell him he is wrong. If more granularity makes the forum easier to navigate then I can see no harm in it. Personally, I use the What's New > New Posts feature each time I access the Forum then scroll through the thread titles to choose what I want to read. When I am done I use the 'Mark Forum Read' button to clear anything I didn't choose to read. In that regard, accurate thread titles and on-topic content are helpful and I support all efforts to keep the forum tidy.

Back
Top Bottom