The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Car breakdown with emergency mode

Reinhard

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Hello Grenadier world,
on an Iceland trip over the highland tracks and trails, the Grenadier has proven itself in this rainy summer of 2024.

In the Trialmaster standard equipment, all alluvial plains, river crossings, rocky stretches etc. were mastered.
Unfortunately, there was one glitch. The sonic wheel for the speed sensor on the rear right wheel was apparently damaged by a stone. In principle, only one spoke was slightly bent, which led to an error message in the system. That wouldn't have been so bad, but the fault led to the activation of the emergency running program, in which only a small amount of power is available.
It was no longer possible to activate the off-road mode.

Fortunately, there were no more challenging passages ahead, so we were able to reach our accommodation after an arduous drive in emergency mode.

The next day, Einar from the Icelandic Grenadier Service helped us super quickly and competently and repaired the damage. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Einar once again for his help.

For the future, I wish that the off-road mode could be activated again in these cases (even at your own risk) so that you can continue driving safely.

Have any of you had similar experiences?
Based on my experiences in Iceland, I will have the Grenadier raised with springs and dampers and convert 285/70 tires to 17-inch rims.
Among other things, I hope that this will make driving on bumpy roads and gravel tracks more pleasant.

Best regards
Reinhard

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Hello Grenadier world,
on an Iceland trip over the highland tracks and trails, the Grenadier has proven itself in this rainy summer of 2024.

In the Trialmaster standard equipment, all alluvial plains, river crossings, rocky stretches etc. were mastered.
Unfortunately, there was one glitch. The sonic wheel for the speed sensor on the rear right wheel was apparently damaged by a stone. In principle, only one spoke was slightly bent, which led to an error message in the system. That wouldn't have been so bad, but the fault led to the activation of the emergency running program, in which only a small amount of power is available.

Fortunately, there were no more challenging passages ahead, so we were able to reach our accommodation after an arduous drive in emergency mode.

The next day, Einar from the Icelandic Grenadier Service helped us super quickly and competently and repaired the damage. I would like to take this opportunity to thank Einar once again for his help.

For the future, I wish that the off-road mode could be activated again in these cases (even at your own risk) so that you can continue driving safely.

Based on my experiences in Iceland, I will have the Grenadier raised with springs and dampers and convert 285/70 tires to 17-inch rims.
Among other things, I hope that this will make driving on bumpy roads and gravel tracks more pleasant.

Best regards
Reinhard

Glad you got out of there. Just remember the drive shaft issue if you do a lift - a blown shaft and you’re out of commission

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:38 AM
Reaction score
@Reinhard ... great story and great outcome! More reason to have confidence in our trucks, though I agree being able to purposefully override an emergency/limp-mode setting would be consistent with our vehicles' purposeful design. (y)

It has been said before here, but if the OBD/bus protocols were published by INEOS then owners and the aftermarket may be able to better control/adjust/override their vehicles when necessary.

Keep on truckin'.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
Hello Grenadier world,

Best regards
Reinhard

Hey @Reinhard do you know if they replaced the ABS tone ring or bent it back into shape? If they bent it back did they have to remove the ring or repaired in place?

Last edited:

alexandruast

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:38 PM
Reaction score
Hey Reinhard, do you know if they replaced the ABS tone ring or bent it back into shape? If they bent it back did they have to remove the ring or repaired in place?

I am also interested in how this was fixed. Mine is at the dealership, the tone ring arrived as a replacement part, but the tool to press the ring does not exist. They are currently trying to improvise some kind of vice. In the Netherlands, a customer received a new vehicle under warranty because of this - dealership unable to fix, fully equipped axle unavailable as a spare (on backorder), so they replaced the vehicle. I am absolutely positive there is a way to insert it without the "specialized" tool.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:38 PM
Reaction score
I am also interested in how this was fixed. Mine is at the dealership, the tone ring arrived as a replacement part, but the tool to press the ring does not exist. They are currently trying to improvise some kind of vice. In the Netherlands, a customer received a new vehicle under warranty because of this - dealership unable to fix, fully equipped axle unavailable as a spare (on backorder), so they replaced the vehicle. I am absolutely positive there is a way to insert it without the "specialized" tool.
@alexandruast do you have any other pictures of the tone ring and how it is mounted that you have not already posted?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:38 PM
Reaction score
Hello Grenadier world,

Best regards
Reinhard

Good to hear that everything went well in the end!
What was your biggest concern about the not working off-road mode? It was not the working parking sensor for sure.
best regards
bemax

Gut zu hören, dass alles am Ende gut ausgegangen ist. Was was ist denn dein Hauptkritikpunkt an dem nicht funktionierenden off-road Modus im Notprogramm? Es war sicher nicht die nicht abgeschalteten Park Piepser.
Beste Grüße,
bemax

Back
Top Bottom