The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Almost got rear ended at the car wash, so how do you get out of car wash mode?

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:48 AM
Reaction score
I read the manual, yes I am a man, honestly and not a man bag wearing, metrosexual, top knot hair style type. 😜
I was confused by the car wash instructions and why they weren't described as recovery instructions. Why do I need to go through this procedure just to jet wash all the crud off??

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
Yes Western NY is where I am. I’ve never shut off engine in any other car. I’m a manual reader (aka nerd) and the Gren manual says the vehicle will shift itself into park if it rolls in neutral as a “safety feature” to keep people from shifting to neutral, getting out, and getting run over by their own unoccupied vehicle. Hence “car wash mode”.
I think the manual may actually be wrong. The car goes into park with the door opening, it does not from rolling in neutral.

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
I tried 'Car Wash Mode' yesterday while sitting in a parking lot.. I found it annoying. Today I went through the car wash, engine on, in neutral. No problems. Although, I found that the automatic car wash did a crap job of cleaning the IG. I don't know if its the shape of the vehicle but it just seemed to do a poor job. Time to cancel my unlimited wash plan and find a hand car wash.

BCR

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I tried 'Car Wash Mode' yesterday while sitting in a parking lot.. I found it annoying. Today I went through the car wash, engine on, in neutral. No problems. Although, I found that the automatic car wash did a crap job of cleaning the IG. I don't know if its the shape of the vehicle but it just seemed to do a poor job. Time to cancel my unlimited wash plan and find a hand car wash.
I went through the car wash today to remove a massive amount of dead bugs. I left it running and in neutral. It stayed running but required that I step on the brake to shift from neutral into drive. A much more enjoyable experience than putting in "car wash mode" and hoping the vehicle behind me didn't rear end me.

Jiman01

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
To get zf transmission to work with the door open. Put car in reverse and open door, keep foot on brake. The shifter will go back into park. Do not shut the door. Now put car in reverse and you should have no problem but need to keep speed slow.
Same method works for D also.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
I don’t understand car wash mode. Seems the only benefit is that the engine can be turned off while the vehicle rolls in neutral.
I was once told by a car wash attendant that for new vehicles the trick that works for most is to have the engine running (ignition on for EVs), transmission in neutral (may be tricky on some EVs), and driver seat belt fastened.

JSDKMS!

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's what I do also!

Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t been through an automatic wash yet, but wanted to pass along a tip a service tech mentioned last time I was at the dealership. For anyone without the raised air intake he said you should put the A/C into recirculating mode to avoid ending up with water in the footwell of the passenger side. Not sure if anyone has actually experienced that happening.

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:48 AM
Reaction score
I won't use automatic car washes any more. Twice the sensors faulted on the rollers and destroyed my cars. Once in NZ, once in Australia. Vowed never to use one again, and haven't done. So problem solved. Plus I was told by my car dealer friend that the spray pressure on those is vicious and damages paintwork so they never advise using unless you don't care about your top coat being sandblasted.

Reactions: CRH

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
Though it has not been clearly stated here, I have the feeling this conversation is about 'automatic' carwash's that mechanically move your car through the washing structure. Never use them. In the self spray booth car wash, just park my car like anywhere else, wash it myself, then start and drive off. What's the big deal?

Back
Top Bottom