The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bigger tyres > 255/85r17

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:42 AM
Reaction score
Yeah a few MT's Dave but not much in the AT spec. And @K1LL3M is looking for 35's not 33/34's.

Those HD Terrains look interesting I haven't seen them before.
They might be a good idea as a second set to put on when doing way outback trips?
Yeah, now looking for 34's as 35s are too much trouble on this vehicle (though theu do fit)

Thanks @DaveB I am actually tossing up between those 2.

I really want the KM3s, I have always wanted KM3s, but running mud tyres when there is a lot pavement to get where youre going bothers me..

The HD terrains look decent, but I wonder if they are too hard. They are a new tyre, marked as "commercial" and intended for big American trucks, so not sure if they are going to be any good on the Grenadier. (Edit- they also don't have any of the sidewall tech the ko2 and km3s do)

Other options available are
Cooper ST Maxx
Yokohama Geolander at 015 and x-at 016
Nitto Ridge Grablers

None of which I particularly like, probability am a bit of a BFG tragic, but of them x-at 016s are the 3rd in the trifeca choice. They appear very similar to the HD terrainns

(Sidenote how do post the info in your post)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919_152055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230919_152055_Chrome.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
Yeah, now looking for 34's as 35s are too much trouble on this vehicle (though theu do fit)

I really want the KM3s, I have always wanted KM3s, but running mud tyres when there is a lot pavement to get where youre going bothers me..

The HD terrains look decent, but I wonder if they are too hard. They are a new tyre, marked as "commercial" and intended for big American trucks, so not sure if they are going to be any good on the Grenadier. (Edit- they also don't have any of the sidewall tech the ko2 and km3s do)

Cooper ST Maxx
Nitto Ridge Grablers

None of which I particularly like, probability am a bit of a BFG tragic, but of them x-at 016s are the 3rd in the trifeca choice. They appear very similar to the HD terrainns

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA-9-APSyO0&t=30s

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ko3 would be a no brainer (so would the ko2) if it was available in the 285/75.

Be interesting in when they release that to world

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 PM
Reaction score
Those HD Terrains look interesting I haven't seen them before.
These are just starting to hit the market here in the US... From a friend that has them (and lots of BFG KO2 experience), they are noticeably louder than the KO2s, quieter than KM2s, but seem to do quite well in mud conditions and are great in dirt with good on road stability; much like the large new spectrum of "R/T" (opposed to A/T or M/T) tires that have been coming out in recent years

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These are just starting to hit the market here in the US... From a friend that has them (and lots of BFG KO2 experience), they are noticeably louder than the KO2s, quieter than KM2s, but seem to do quite well in mud conditions and are great in dirt with good on road stability; much like the large new spectrum of "R/T" (opposed to A/T or M/T) tires that have been coming out in recent years
Interesting. I actually thought they might have been more old school super tough tyres based on the old ply tyres they had on land rovers and toyotas. Rough as guts but bulletproof.

If they’re more of an RT configuration like the Nitto ridge grapplers / Toyo RT’s they might be worth a look.

Sekurt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score

Cooper ST Maxx
Nitto Ridge Grablers

I ran Cooper ST Maxx in section 255 on my lifted 5th Gen 4Runner for 50k miles. I absolutely hated these tires as they pulled to the left no matter the alignment nor balancing. I believe it something to do with the tread design as regardless the rotation they would pull left. It was significant enough that it gave me tendinitis in my right thumb from over correcting the steering.

I subsequently went with Nitto Trail Grapplers in section 285 and have never looked back in approximately 55k miles. The Nitto’s have been an excellent tire and will use these on the Grenadier once the BFG’s wear.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I ran Cooper ST Maxx in section 255 on my lifted 5th Gen 4Runner for 50k miles. I absolutely hated these tires as they pulled to the left no matter the alignment nor balancing. I believe it something to do with the tread design as regardless the rotation they would pull left. It was significant enough that it gave me tendinitis in my right thumb from over correcting the steering.

I subsequently went with Nitto Trail Grapplers in section 285 and have never looked back in approximately 55k miles. The Nitto’s have been an excellent tire and will use these on the Grenadier once the BFG’s wear.
My experience as well although other models.

Could never balance Coopers and always tore lugs off them.
Have Nitto Ridge Grapplers now and very happy with them although they could wear better. But you can’t have everything.

DDG

Local time
Reaction score
This type of thread is what owners/enthusiast forums are so amazing for. The combined experience and trial and errors of the group add so much to ownership of the vehicle. Thank you!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My experience is with slightly smaller tires, and for the Grenadier I'll be buying 255/80r17. However I have driven R/T style tires for decades, going back to the Trac Edge and Dunlop RT. I did love the Cooper ST/Maxx, but it aged poorly before even wearing out - not bad but I'm still hesitant. I think the Nitto Ridge Grappler is top of my list, and the Toyo R/T Trail 2nd. I really shy away from any true AT style - give me deep lugs and larger voids any day.

Last edited:

DCatt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for heads up on the Kenda. I was just about to commit to the Mickeys but will check them out first now

Rims coming are Evo Corse DakarZero 17x8 p45

The Eiback springs are on pre order, expected early December

If you're interested in getting your name on a set contact

John Kayik | Sales Manager

Eibach Suspension Technology Pty Ltd | 3/4 Prosperity Parade | Warriewood NSW 2102 | Australia

T + 61 2 9999 3655

john@eibach.com.au
www.eibach.com.au
Have your wheels arrived yet. I have some on order as well. Keen to see more photos of them on Grenadiers.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have your wheels arrived yet. I have some on order as well. Keen to see more photos of them on Grenadiers
No not yet, expectation is next week apparently.

Shipping dealys from italy, mean 4-6 weeks has become 4+ months.

I imagine you will be in the same shipment.

Soon I hope

DCatt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No not yet, expectation is next week apparently.

Shipping dealys from italy, mean 4-6 weeks has become 4+ months.

I imagine you will be in the same shipment.

Soon I hope
Sounds like it. Transport company picking mine up tomorrow. I’m in Brisbane so hopefully have them by the end of the week from Melbourne.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
I really shy away from any true AT style - give me deep lugs and larger voids any day.
I wonder why.
After running 7.50R16 XZLs on my Disco 1 and Classic for the last 7 years, I really want something like GY Wrangler Duratrac. A/T with even higher "fill" ratio than BFG A/Ts.
Actually, I like the factory Bridgestones on the Grenadier, and Michelin LTX M/S on LR4 and one of the Classics.

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
If Toyo made their MT in that size, I’d buy it immediately

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I wonder why.
After running 7.50R16 XZLs on my Disco 1 and Classic for the last 7 years, I really want something like GY Wrangler Duratrac. A/T with even higher "fill" ratio than BFG A/Ts.
Actually, I like the factory Bridgestones on the Grenadier, and Michelin LTX M/S on LR4 and one of the Classics.
Simple, too much mud on the East Coast. Big outer blocks really help, and RT patterns clear better with the larger/deeper center voids. Duratracs are just AT’s. I had them on my D1 at one point and the were super vague in snow and didn’t clear mud.

I’m sticking with the Bridgestones for now. I like them so far, and they are perfect for how I’ll drive for the next 8 months.

EDIT: I’m actually putting the Cooper ST/Maxx back on my list. That was a great tire that wore like iron.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m sticking with the Bridgestones for now. I like them so far, and they are perfect for how I’ll drive for the next 8 months.

EDIT: I’m actually putting the Cooper ST/Maxx back on my list. That was a great tire that wore like iron.
The Bridgestones are actually pretty impressive, especially for not being an aggressive tire; LTX M/S are in a similar place of being deceptively good in all but mud situations.

I'm still solid in my East Coast AT choices, I don't see/deal with enough super deep mud for it to matter, and would prefer their benefits on pavement and snow (specifically packed snow, same reason I chase the 3PMSF rating).

Local time
Reaction score
I think I saw someone saying there weren't a lot of AT tires in 285/75 R17, but its actually pretty common here in the U.S. These are some of what's available. Sorry to the ROW - I'm not going to convert to metric.

A high speed rating doesn't mean you plan to drive that fast - it is (in part) a measure of how well the tire dissipates heat; this matters when driving at lower speeds when towing, or when driving the speed limit in hot weather.

The AT4W is the heaviest.
The KO2 has the least (i.e. the worst) tread depth.
The KO2 is remarkably light, given how strong a tire it is (3-ply sidewall) - the Toyo AT3 is the same weight but with a 2-ply sidewall.

285/75 R17 (roughly 33.8 inches tall x 11.2 inches wide)

Tires.jpg

Just posting this to help folks find tires.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom