The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bell sound when bouncing on something

f1rst1

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I asked here in CO and they said there isnt much to do about it, other than maybe wrapping it, as someone mentioned above. I havent had them do that, but im getting the same bell
ugh...come on...guess they'll need to wrap it for me then :p

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
Sunday on a simple dirt road I also started to hear a metallic bell noise.
I looked for stones around the underbody and I modified the steering damper as you can see, but the noise persists. I tried to ride without it too.
In these two evenings I checked everything that could be checked and now I have serious doubts that it is the torque converter or worse the gearbox.
In the next few days I try to go to BMW and the dealer 😶

I confirm that with the modification to the steering damper all noise from it disappears. I highly recommend this modification. The bell-like sound persisted however and after days of trying I found that the noise comes from the right rear spring slightly offset from the center. I don't know how to fix that noise yet, but it looks like I'll need to remove the spring to figure out the reason for the misalignment.IMG_4445.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4446.jpeg
    IMG_4446.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 21

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
yesterday I went back on dirt roads and made a video.
I am very doubtful that what I hear is the noise of the spring, but to remove the doubt I have to disassemble it.

do you have any idea what else could be causing that noise?

the noise is ALWAYS heard:
- on bumpy roads at medium speed. (at low speed it doesn't)

the noise is SOMETIMES heard:
- on bumps / potholes on asphalt roads
- while stopping or starting (which made me think of the torque converter or the gearbox. yesterday however on a dirt road on a slight descent I put the transmission in neutral and drove a few meters with only the brakes and the noise was still there, so I discard the idea of the torque converter or the gearbox)

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/IuSbJR_ppxo?feature=shared

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
That is a bell sounding noice! A heat shield? It must be something with a bit of vibration to it over a larger surface in order to resonate and create that sound.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
I haven’t read all 0f this thread so please forgive me if it’s already been mentioned and discarded etc.

Earlier this year an IA dealer told me that a customers steering damper was damaged/defective from factory (suspected). It was fine for a while as some card or something had been stuffed up into the damper however this had eventually worked its way out and then the customer came back to the dealer with this funny sounding bell type noise from his front end. The dealer discovered it pretty quickly and rectified it.

As I understood it, the outer case of the dampener was resonating off the internal parts and making the noise.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't found a solution yet.

I bought an action cam on Amazon to try to fix it underneath but I haven't had the chance to do this test yet

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
yesterday I went back on dirt roads and made a video.
I am very doubtful that what I hear is the noise of the spring, but to remove the doubt I have to disassemble it.

do you have any idea what else could be causing that noise?

the noise is ALWAYS heard:
- on bumpy roads at medium speed. (at low speed it doesn't)

the noise is SOMETIMES heard:
- on bumps / potholes on asphalt roads
- while stopping or starting (which made me think of the torque converter or the gearbox. yesterday however on a dirt road on a slight descent I put the transmission in neutral and drove a few meters with only the brakes and the noise was still there, so I discard the idea of the torque converter or the gearbox)

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/IuSbJR_ppxo?feature=shared

I finally found out what that noise was coming from!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4567.jpeg
    IMG_4567.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
exactly, after weeks of checking the heat shields, the springs, the steering damper and everything else I finally found that f****** stone inside the front left disc that couldn't get out

Back
Top Bottom