The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bad week of ownership

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Well it’s been 5 days of “Well this sucks”
Since Monday this week

1 My A/C is now dripping all over the driver and passenger floor and it’s only mid 20C
2 My rear Door Handle Broke
3 My Rear Passenger door handles both jammed.
4 My Auto Start stop now “Stops” but won’t “Start”
5 My Drivers Side Door Seal decided to come off 2/3 of the way around.

Just a frustrating week all wrapped in to one. Doesn’t help that the rear door handle broke when I had an eagle in the back. And of course the access to the bird enclosure was facing backwards. No pliers or vice grips on hand!

Anyway just another week with Grenadier 1.0 and a Dealership that doesn’t return calls or seem to care.

Happy Canada day gang!

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:30 AM
Reaction score
Happy Canada Day, my friend from the opposite coast. That well and truly sucks but let’s all hope our 2024 vehicles get through their infancy and give us a couple of decades of good service and smiles.

My fingers are crossed for you and I hope you have time to hoist a cold beverage this weekend. 🇨🇦🍻❤️

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Happy Canada Day, my friend from the opposite coast. That well and truly sucks but let’s all hope our 2024 vehicles get through their infancy and give us a couple of decades of good service and smiles.

My fingers are crossed for you and I hope you have time to hoist a cold beverage this weekend. 🇨🇦🍻❤️
I hope they can figure themselves out. Because after 6 weeks this is a bit much. I like the truck, just frustrated so much seems to be going wrong. The worst has to be the Start/stop. If you forget to shut it off and get caught in traffic it’s dangerous. That’s almost unforgivable. And there’s no parts available in North America to fix it. But “ they know “ what wrong. A missing towing module. But they don’t stock them in the Americas. Someone at ineos needs to get themselves sorted.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Well it’s been 5 days of “Well this sucks”
Since Monday this week

1 My A/C is now dripping all over the driver and passenger floor and it’s only mid 20C
2 My rear Door Handle Broke
3 My Rear Passenger door handles both jammed.
4 My Auto Start stop now “Stops” but won’t “Start”
5 My Drivers Side Door Seal decided to come off 2/3 of the way around.

Just a frustrating week all wrapped in to one. Doesn’t help that the rear door handle broke when I had an eagle in the back. And of course the access to the bird enclosure was facing backwards. No pliers or vice grips on hand!

Anyway just another week with Grenadier 1.0 and a Dealership that doesn’t return calls or seem to care.

Happy Canada day gang!
There are TSBs for 1, 3 and 5. Number 4 is a bit concerning, does it start again if you turn the key?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your continued struggles, not the experience anyone wants to have... The AC is unfortunately somewhat typical if you haven't had the TSB handled yet, as are the door seals. The jammed handles are annoying, but can be very quickly remedied by simply "bumping" the surround in whichever direction it needs to go for the button to not get hung up on it. This bump can be handled by your palm on almost all vehicles.

The broken rear cargo door handle is a new one, however; and the start/stop issue is definitely not a good one. I know mine (as many others) is rather slow on the restart with the start/stop system, but not restarting at all is also something new. After starting the vehicle that's the first button I press, and I generally have disliked every start/stop system I've encountered.

As for the tow module, why would this be a stocked item? I am guessing they don't stock it for the same reason that BMW/VW/Audi/Porsche don't stock that many interior control modules in the US, because they generally don't fail.

"Adding" the towing module is more than just plugging in the module and the outlet wiring (the "input" wiring is already in place). The tow module needs to be coded to the vehicle, and then (and I'm not certain this is possible in an outside-the-factory setting) every other module in the vehicle needs to be told that there is a towing module in the vehicle. Like many other manufacturers, I would imagine this coding is automatically handled based upon the VIN (there are far too many bits in the coding of each module to risk miscoding one), and the VIN would show it shouldn't have the module.

In the end, it's just a vehicle, and either it'll get fixed or it won't and you'll move on, enjoy the things that matter in life and hopefully a relaxing and enjoyable Canada Day weekend (assuming you guys do a whole weekend celebration like we do down here)

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The start stop, I am taking a educated guess here is battery related. The module tells the starter to turn on and modules usually fail last. I would check to see if your battery is fully charged. Then make sure the battery cables are tight and fully on the battery with nothing touching it. I know in our yukon that I was having issues with start stop and it needed a new battery which sorted everything out. The car was 5 years old and the battery was 5 years old.

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
The start stop, I am taking an educated guess here is battery related. The module tells the starter to turn on and modules usually fail last. I would check to see if your battery is fully charged. Then make sure the battery cables are tight and fully on the battery with nothing touching it. I know in our yukon that I was having issues with start stop and it needed a new battery which sorted everything out. The car was 5 years old and the battery was 5 years old.
Oh no there’s an internal TSB, the module is missing, not there, not installed. And somehow that causes this no start issue. So back to what I was saying they know the module is missing, but don’t have any in stock. Seems very strange.

CRH

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My stop start has never worked, doesn't stop, which hasn't bothered me as I would turn off, but it should work. Dropped off at dealership for work and this was on my problem list, I was then informed that there is a recall on the stop start system. Who knows what for but hopefully you all get fixed soon

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My stop start has never worked, doesn't stop, which hasn't bothered me as I would turn off, but it should work. Dropped off at dealership for work and this was on my problem list, I was then informed that there is a recall on the stop start system. Who knows what for but hopefully you all get fixed soon
Certain batches of Grenadiers have the trailer module missing from the factory. Ineos know this. Right until last week they didn’t have software to program the missing module. My stop start never worked despite back to the dealers many times and they couldn’t program it.

As from June, Ineos have now released software to program the trailer module and it’s currently in the dealer now. Although it would be better without it as many people have said, it’s nice to know that nothing is broken or missing on my car. I will sell it eventually when the novelty dies down.

With regards to spare parts at dealers. My dealer told me that they only have a small inventory of common parts or serviceable item. They have to buy these parts from Ineos and they don’t accept returns. So dealers obviously don’t want expensive stock lying around. Parts (in our part of the world) is sent from Belgium. Ineos need a parts distribution in the UK (next day delivery).

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Certain batches of Grenadiers have the trailer module missing from the factory. Ineos know this. Right until last week they didn’t have software to program the missing module. My stop start never worked despite back to the dealers many times and they couldn’t program it.

As from June, Ineos have now released software to program the trailer module and it’s currently in the dealer now. Although it would be better without it as many people have said, it’s nice to know that nothing is broken or missing on my car. I will sell it eventually when the novelty dies down.

With regards to spare parts at dealers. My dealer told me that they only have a small inventory of common parts or serviceable item. They have to buy these parts from Ineos and they don’t accept returns. So dealers obviously don’t want expensive stock lying around. Parts (in our part of the world) is sent from Belgium. Ineos need a parts distribution in the UK (next day delivery).
I don’t expect dealership stock. But none in North American wear house is a bit much. This is a safety issue, the truck will roll back on a hill when it does not re start. I’d be fine if it just didn’t work. But it shuts off and does not re start. I’m in and out of the truck 100’s of times a day. Remembering to shut off a feature every single time is not a solution. It’s frankly stupid.

Local time
Reaction score
One one hand if start stop saves emissions and fuel I'm cool with it, on the other hand it pert neat got me killed merging onto a busy autobahn when the ople tried to stop, right as I decided to hammer it an get on. It went into limp mode and there wasn't room to gtf off for 1/4 mile. Shezimm's eyes are lighting up yelling SCHNELL SCNHELL. I thought I was gonna have more native German speakers landing in the back seat.

The feature failing to engage wasn't something I thought of until that moment. I'm betting someone somewhere has been killed by it. I can't be the only one.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:30 PM
Reaction score
I have developed a similar startup routine that I had for last 5 years in my Mercedes.
In Mercedes case it was
  1. Key in ignition and start the vehicle.
  2. Gearbox to sport mode
  3. Suspension to dynamic mode
  4. Parking sensors off
  5. Stop Start off.
In Grenadier it is easier
  1. Key in ignition and start the vehicle
  2. Parking sensors off (front is permanently off)
  3. Stop start off
Two steps less to do so my life is easier in the Grenadier.

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I have developed a similar startup routine that I had for last 5 years in my Mercedes.
In Mercedes case it was
  2. Gearbox to sport mode
  4. Parking sensors off
  5. Stop Start off.
  3. Stop start off

@DaveB. Stop lying. You get in the Grenadier and after you put the ignition in, you yell out sports mode. Then you make vroom vroom vroom noise with your mouth.

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
In Mercedes case it was
  2. Gearbox to sport mode
  4. Parking sensors off
  5. Stop Start off.
  3. Stop start off
If that’s your thing, that’s cool. But here’s mine. I get in and out 100’s of times a day. I don’t want a pre flight routine to drive my car. I don’t have one with any other vehicle I own. I get in them and I drive.

With this Grenadier its
Get in
Start truck
Turn of Auto Start/Stop
Turn off ASDS sometimes Fav works sometimes it doesn’t
Cycle through “service over due”
Than drive iff

Franklyn IT’s FUCKING RIDICULOUS!

My M2, Get In DRIVE
MY M4 Get In DRIVE
MY Mini Paceman Get In DRIVE
MY R1250GSA Get On DRIVE
MY RNineT Get On DRIVE
My Lawn Tractor Get On DRIVE

In what world should I have to shut off features to make my vehicle safe to drive?
The Auto Start Stop should not need to be disabled so that it fails to start and cause an accident.

Why is it everyone that own one of these trucks seems so happy to accept a pre flight routine.

This isn’t my Float plane, I shouldn’t have to do an entire pre flight just to drive off.

Mountain4x4

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
I have to agree. ADES and Auto Start Stop needs a setting to disable permanently. These are not needed on this vehicle. I have my first auto start stop vehicle we got for work in May, a Ford Transit Connect( now screwed by the chicken tax) and I used to think people were whiners. But wow, that is miserable having your engine shut off and try to guess when to re-start.

IslandFalconer

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
I have to agree. ADES and Auto Start Stop needs a setting to disable permanently. These are not needed on this vehicle. I have my first auto start stop vehicle we got for work in May, a Ford Transit Connect( now screwed by the chicken tax) and I used to think people were whiners. But wow, that is miserable having your engine shut off and try to guess when to re-start.
When it rolls back because it didn’t start that’s thrilling.

Local time
Reaction score
Would I be incorrect is saying, that when you bought the car, a brand new model from a brand new company, you lived on an island in a large sparsely populated country, with two dealers, neither local, no local service centers and no repair manuals?

I understand what you feel shouldn't be happening and these issues do suck, but, ignoring the specifics because you can't predict the exact future, under these circumstances you really didn't prepare for any of this as if something was an eventuality?

Back
Top Bottom