The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

ASPW wants a Grenadier

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
I can not understand how people take any notice of what the arrangement twat says, as stated he carries on like a child and most of what he says is opinion that is simply wrong or so far from logical it’s not worth any consideration

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
I hate abbreviations ...
Is there a way to ban the ASPW abbreviation on this forum? :unsure:
An individual one: Don't read it.

By the way: do you know the abbreviation of Inspec Ethylene Oxide and Specialities ? Or the other way round: What does IA mean in full writing?

"Inspec Ethylene Oxide and Specialties Automotive" - where Inspec is some acronym, Ethylene is the abbreviation of Polyethylene, and "Automotive" is again an acronym derived from "auto (self)" and "motivus (moving)" ...

I think there are cases where using abbreviations are quite helpful simplifications.

For example: IA. :)

Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
So he'll spend the coin to buy a new 70 series that he says will be bad off road...but he won't shell out for a Grenadier that he desperately wants???

He's just trying to prove himself the overlanding god he claims to be by getting a free car out of Sir Jim. I honestly hope that Ineos never gives him one. Ever.
He actually said he'd buy one, then pulled the plug on it (reason unknown to me)
He could do the same with the 4cyl 70. Who knows, i still think its all clickbait. I still don't mind his content, he travels my state extensively which is good to see but in the last few years his integrity has suffered IMO as he bags out products the either don't want to work with him or he switches to another supplier and does the same to the previous supplier like he did with BF Goodrich.

Local time
6:16 PM
Reaction score
I'm not sure I trust his judgement anymore despite the impressive Troopy in the video. He comfortably states that the Toyota 2.8 Turbo revs too high to be any good off road. Has he forgotten about all the four-banger mini-pickups (HiLux) on 38s running hard trails everywhere? Isn't it a gearing issue?

I generally subscribe to the "No Substitute for Cubic Inches" model and I prefer a manual transmission but Ineos/Magna certainly seem to have done their homework and they chose an automatic. Jeep too for that matter. The modern computer controlled slushbox knows exactly which gear to be in to stay right in the middle of the power band - and they're ten times faster than my left foot when it comes to shifting up or down a gear. Longevity aside, aren't the days of lugging a heavy vehicle behind an engine with a heavy flywheel and rotating mass at <1000rpm behind us?

Towing is another matter I guess. I run a 6 cylinder Cummins so what do I know.
I'll admit I would have been right with you until a couple of weeks back. I did a couple of crossings of the Simpson in my trusty Defender. It's a small engine, and when going over dunes a conscious effort needs to be made to keep the revs to at least 2000.. ideally 2500 if it's really steep.

I had the opportunity to ride in a LC 70 series V8 Diesel, and I now understand why people like them. This car was doing the same thing as I was (probably faster) with like 1700RPM on, and it had oodles of power. Very very easy going.

I'm certainly not saying that's the only way, but it sure looked easy!

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'll admit I would have been right with you until a couple of weeks back. I did a couple of crossings of the Simpson in my trusty Defender. It's a small engine, and when going over dunes a conscious effort needs to be made to keep the revs to at least 2000.. ideally 2500 if it's really steep.

I had the opportunity to ride in a LC 70 series V8 Diesel, and I now understand why people like them. This car was doing the same thing as I was (probably faster) with like 1700RPM on, and it had oodles of power. Very very easy going.

I'm certainly not saying that's the only way, but it sure looked easy!
If the IG came with a modern 4.5L twin turbo diesel V8 I’d probably take that option. 😉
Although the straight six guys would call out the extra fuel usage. 😂

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
also as part of his episode he BEGGED someone in WA to lend him a grenadier fora weekend.
It doesnt matter what revs he wants to do the toyota 6 spd auto will select the gear it wants and even if you have it locked say in second it will still select first if it wants.
If you stop in low range it starts of in first and will not change up until a certain speed and the same for 2nd ,3rd.4th. It will not go higher than 4th which is good for about 40km hr.Its as easy as to drive you just dont have to worry about changing gar at all.It is very good at downhill work too .This is based of my 2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8

Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
If the IG came with a modern 4.5L twin turbo diesel V8 I’d probably take that option. 😉
Although the straight six guys would call out the extra fuel usage. 😂
the 70 series incl the troopy only have a single turbo .They are as torquey as hell above 1200 rpm but not much below that. Its the 200 that has th twin turbo(about 200 kw)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
the 70 series incl the troopy only have a single turbo .They are as torquey as hell above 1200 rpm but not much below that. Its the 200 that has th twin turbo(about 200 kw)
I know - I have one 😎

Undertuned to buggery in the Toyota way, but that lazy V8 is noice.

Local time
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people go on and on about the torque of the V8 in the 70 series, it just s a single turbo gutless fuel sucking piece of crap. The gearing is very low which gives a false impression that it has endless pulling power , don’t remember the exact number but it’s only about 430 nm which is why everyone who wants a reasonable drive has to tune it.

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:16 PM
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people go on and on about the torque ...
To be honest, I don't understand why people discuss about torque (not meant as a personal attack to you @MattA), tires, etc.

4x4 driving is so much about all these things plus the conditions that particular day, the experience and mood of the driver, the age of the car, having passengers or not, other helping cars nearby, rain, dry, etc. etc.

It is so complex. Experience helps, the capability of the car helps, ... but it isn't an exact science

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:16 AM
Reaction score

I'd take a bigger inline six for sure. Did I mention the Cummins?

I don’t understand why people go on and on about the torque of the V8 in the 70 series, it just s a single turbo gutless fuel sucking piece of crap.

Yeah, but what do you really think? ;)

Local time
Reaction score
INEOS haven't given ANYONE a vehicle. Period. No journos have gotten behind the wheel of one in Australia except for Robert Pepper who borrowed one from a customer. Not even Drive or CarExpert who have 10x the audience ASPW does. INEOS Aus have said multiple times that they're putting customer deliveries first. This guy's arrogance is astounding. He's just pissy that Overland Journal got one and he didn't.
Plus, why would they give one to ASPW when all he's done is talk sh*t about their company and the vehicle?

Back
Top Bottom