The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alternator & Aux Battery

Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
There's a photo from Greasemonkey in this thread above ~ it's not a Moll 81105 as that's an AGM type.
"I got information directly from INEOS that the aux battery will be a Moll AGM 12V, 105Ah." quote from some guy in the other thread linked above.

I do not know what it will be, I just want it sealed whatever it is. Between cars, trucks, RVs, golf carts, boats, and yachts I am over unsealed batteries. My opinion sealed last longer, I dont have to worry about something getting cooked by an over enthusiastic charger, alternator or regulator and while I have not had a vehicle that will experience the bumps, holes, jiggles and joggles like this one, I would guess that something to keep the liquid from sploshing around like Absorbent Glass Mat or Gel would be a benefit.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
No point getting concerned about pre-production photos. It's difficult to decipher what Ineos will eventually supply. Need to keep in mind that ALL the photos have been of engineering prototypes where they had to power a stack of measuring equipment gathering all sorts of data under arduous conditions. The engineers may well have installed an "8D" to accommodate their requirements. However, given that the IG was known to have a "weight" issue and they were looking for weight savings... hence aluminium panels (for example), it's reasonable to expect that the second battery will be around approx 25kg (55lb) and may well be sealed... I've always regarded the photos as illustrating "how and where" the electrics are accommodated... not an example of the finished product.
Just a thought!;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
As long as the battery is vented. Chargers and spark sources in enclosed spaces are not welcome!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:28 AM
Reaction score
"I got information directly from INEOS that the aux battery will be a Moll AGM 12V, 105Ah." quote from some guy in the other thread linked above.
That’s correct, and someone else was told EFB.

Ineos Customer Services all seem to be working off different scripts.

Nevertheless, a photo of a Moll EFB does confirm they are using EFB tech, at least in one vehicle!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As long as the battery is vented. Chargers and spark sources in enclosed spaces are not welcome!
I think I see a vent tube in the photo above. 👍

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Need to keep in mind that ALL the photos have been of engineering prototypes where they had to power a stack of measuring equipment gathering all sorts of data under arduous conditions.
No, not all photos are of engineering prototypes.

I believe the photo above is a PTO series ~ so essentially production spec used to finesse the production line.

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
All the pictures where taken yesterday from a blue Ineos Grenadier, which was according to the guys from the dealer, to 99 % production specification .

Attachments

• Sign.jpeg
    Sign.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • Bat2.jpeg
    Bat2.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 155

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And a note on why Lead Acid or Gel vs Lithium, I was just researching Lithium current outputs for a bow thruster and/or starting battery. It seems the Lithium is good for continuous duty and deep discharge but high output current like a winch is not its strong point. Going with Gel Group 29s in the boat.
Is that the same across all of the various lithium chemistry types or are some more suited to dealing with high output currents?

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All the pictures where taken yesterday from a blue Ineos Grenadier, which was according to the guys from the dealer, to 99 % production specification .
And you seem to have solved the puzzle as to whether non-Belstaff editions will get a front bulkhead badge, and if so what it will say.

👍

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I quite like that badge

Greasemonkey

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There was also another badge on Dirk Heilmann's own car

Attachments

• Badge2.jpeg
    Badge2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 138

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Local time
5:28 AM
Reaction score
Is that the same across all of the various lithium chemistry types or are some more suited to dealing with high output currents?
My research was against marine based lithium batteries though I expect the carries across most of them. I mean for the most part a "marine" version just means different packaging and higher dollar.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour
Il existe un système CTEK D250 SE qui permet la séparation et la recharge de la batterie auxiliaire (pour des alternateurs jusqu'à 120 Ampères).

Coupleur CTEK D250SE.JPG

Schéma Coupleur CTEK D250SE.JPG

Yards10

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is the info Ineos emailed me. No inverter included.

First point of note the auxiliary battery is identical to the main battery per details below:

Main Battery

The battery that powers the Grenadier is a 105Ah EFB Moll battery.
It works as a traditional 12 Volt system with an alternator charging the battery when required.
The Auxiliary battery that is used when optioned is identical to the main vehicle battery and will be wired in parallel to insure that it stays a 12 volt circuit.

EFB - Enhanced Flooded Battery. These batteries are sealed and are not able to be opened to test cells

Additional information on the Aux Battery:

The Grenadier has the option for an auxiliary battery to be fitted. It is located under the rear second row seating (opposite side to the standard battery). A C-TECH charger is used to charge the additional battery along with isolate the standard battery when engine is not on. Can assist with starting vehicle if main battery is low.

The main use for the auxiliary batteries is for use of additional electric equipment powered from the vehicle without diminishing the main battery when engine is not running.

Specification: 105Ah Lead acid 12V

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, but this does not mention the inverter.
The batteries are not really parallel, but separated by the Ctek and are combined when needed for starting with low voltage on the main battery. That is good and the normal behaviour of this Ctek. There should never be low voltage on the starter battery if you drive regularly at least 20 - 30 km. Usually the second battery for the equipment gets low and is shut off at about 10,5 Volt. Don’t know if the Ctek does so, will look itup.
As too often the information from Ineos support is not reliable. We will see if the inverter is fitted when a auxiliary battery is ordered.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you, but this does not mention the inverter.

We will see if the inverter is fitted when a auxiliary battery is ordered.

There is no inverter fitted. Maybe whenever/if ever the long-promised full Accessories brochure is published, an inverter will be included complete with approved wiring harness.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
At the Aufenau test drive I was told by an Ineos rep that the inverter was indeed listed in the brochure but was later removed because they didn't get this ready in time - he said.

They plan to offer this in, as he said, maybe eight months or so, but it will be charged.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It's hard not to see the inverter, as originally previewed, as a production line option rather than an accessory that could be fitted after the fact.

Of course, it could be done but if there's no blank fitted in the back of the cubby box for the plug, then you're into cutting holes or swapping out cubby boxes.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
J'avais installé sur mon DEF 90 TD4, un convertisseur statique 12 V continu >> 220 V alternatif d'une puissance de 300 W. Le convertisseur était transché sur la batterie auxiliaire avec un fusible 40 A. C'est un modèle pour bateau de plaisance.

1670154110538.png
Convertisseur statique 12V - 220 V.jpg

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's hard not to see the inverter, as originally previewed, as a production line option rather than an accessory that could be fitted after the fact.

Of course, it could be done but if there's no blank fitted in the back of the cubby box for the plug, then you're into cutting holes or swapping out cubby boxes.

I had thought there was a square knock-out blank at the back of the cubby box specifically to provide a plug socket for an inverter, unless the design has changed.

Plug socket blank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom