The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Almost got rear ended at the car wash, so how do you get out of car wash mode?

SQF1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:07 AM
Reaction score
I have the subscription to local wash. So last week I popped it into car wash mode and everything went well until it was time to exit. I tried starting in neutral, that didn't work, so I tried stepping on brake to start and it error about wanting to be in park. Finally switched to park, started and drove off. The entire time the car behind me was getting pushed by the wash, laying on the horn, and locking the car wash track up because they were braking to not get pushed into the back of the Gren. So has anyone else been successful at gracefully exiting car wash mode?
I'm considering trying to just leave in neutral but I don't want it to shift into park, lock up the car wash rails and shut down the car wash.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:07 AM
Reaction score
I have the subscription to local wash. So last week I popped it into car wash mode and everything went well until it was time to exit. I tried starting in neutral, that didn't work, so I tried stepping on brake to start and it error about wanting to be in park. Finally switched to park, started and drove off. The entire time the car behind me was getting pushed by the wash, laying on the horn, and locking the car wash track up because they were braking to not get pushed into the back of the Gren. So has anyone else been successful at gracefully exiting car wash mode?
I'm considering trying to just leave in neutral but I don't want it to shift into park, lock up the car wash rails and shut down the car wash.
That’s another good reason I won’t be washing my Grenadier very often. 😂

gtank

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
Watch out, I hear the soaps used in auto car washes has been known to oxidize the side door rails. This happened to a friend's Grenadier.

BCR

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:07 PM
Reaction score
I have been through the automatic car wash several times. It hasn't been a problem getting into car wash mode other than the vents blow hot air. Getting the Grenadier restarted at the end has been a harrowing process though. I have been putting it in park, foot on brake and then turning the key from off to start. I try to go to the car wash when it isn't very busy to limit the chance the vehicle behind me comes too close. If someone has a good way to quickly restart the Grenadier I would be interested in knowing too.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Can you leave the car in neutral, put it in offroad mode, engine running? Then when it's time to drive away. Shift it into drive.

SQF1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Can you leave the car in neutral, put it in offroad mode, engine running? Then when it's time to drive away. Shift it into drive.
I’ll try that. Seems like it should work. I just found it odd the manual tells you how to get into car wash mode but not out of it. In park off then on then shift to drive was the only thing that worked. Which isn’t very quick to do with a car two feet behind you slow rolling like a horror movie villain. The LR4 requires a quick tap of the brakes to shift to drive.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a similar experience the last time, with the car behind getting about 2 feet from me before I was finally able to crank and drive off. Very embarrassing and nerve racking. Even shifting to park and foot on brake it wouldn't crank the first few tries. I was getting flustered, so it might have been user error, but I was sure I was going to have the car behind rammed into my bumper.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If your rear ended in the car wash is it the other drivers fault for following to close?

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just put mine in neutral and turn off the parking sensors. I don't understand the issue of getting it back into drive. Is it because you need to turn off the ignition?

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just put mine in neutral and turn off the parking sensors. I don't understand the issue of getting it back into drive. Is it because you need to turn off the ignition?
Yes, car wash mode is engine off, key back in run position, transmission in neutral.

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, car wash mode is engine off, key back in run position, transmission in neutral.
Strange… I used to live in upstate NY with heavily salted roads so automatic car washes were mandatory during the winter months.

Out of the hundreds of times I have run through one I never shut the engine off. Always throw it in neutral and leave the engine idling through the wash…

SQF1

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes Western NY is where I am. I’ve never shut off engine in any other car. I’m a manual reader (aka nerd) and the Gren manual says the vehicle will shift itself into park if it rolls in neutral as a “safety feature” to keep people from shifting to neutral, getting out, and getting run over by their own unoccupied vehicle. Hence “car wash mode”.

Chadd7

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes Western NY is where I am. I’ve never shut off engine in any other car. I’m a manual reader (aka nerd) and the Gren manual says the vehicle will shift itself into park if it rolls in neutral as a “safety feature” to keep people from shifting to neutral, getting out, and getting run over by their own unoccupied vehicle. Hence “car wash mode”.
whoa. thanks for pointing this out.

S52

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
(Former Buffalo resident!)

Ahh well that explains that.

Ugh I really hate these nannies- in place only to save the lowest common denominator amongst us... For sure some idiot managed to run themselves over- lawsuit ensued, and this is the end result. One person sh*t themselves so now we all must diaper up...

Come to think of it... must be a BMW transmission "feature" My wife has an X3 and I have noticed you are not allowed to maneuver the vehicle with the door open. I typically open the driver door as I am shuffling vehicles around as we have a pretty narrow driveway and garage so I like to crack the door open so I can look at the left rear tire to line it up to maximize space.

Her X3 wont let me do that... it will violently shift itself into park as soon as I open the drivers door if the vehicle is in gear.

I imagine the Grenadier behaves similarly.... probably gonna have to invest in some high strength tape to keep the door switch closed haha

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
(Former Buffalo resident!)

Ahh well that explains that.

Ugh I really hate these nannies- in place only to save the lowest common denominator amongst us... For sure some idiot managed to run themselves over- lawsuit ensued, and this is the end result. One person sh*t themselves so now we all must diaper up...

Come to think of it... must be a BMW transmission "feature" My wife has an X3 and I have noticed you are not allowed to maneuver the vehicle with the door open. I typically open the driver door as I am shuffling vehicles around as we have a pretty narrow driveway and garage so I like to crack the door open so I can look at the left rear tire to line it up to maximize space.

Her X3 wont let me do that... it will violently shift itself into park as soon as I open the drivers door if the vehicle is in gear.

I imagine the Grenadier behaves similarly.... probably gonna have to invest in some high strength tape to keep the door switch closed haha
To get zf transmission to work with the door open. Put car in reverse and open door, keep foot on brake. The shifter will go back into park. Do not shut the door. Now put car in reverse and you should have no problem but need to keep speed slow.

Back
Top Bottom