The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

A few questions about the Stereo System

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone ... I'm new, first time posting, I have read more than a few posts but I have a few questions about the Grenadier's stereo system, if I might take the brain-trust's knowledge & information & experience here...

My father has ordered a Grenadier - he'll probably read this - HI DAD! Don't worry, I won't make the mistake of saying "WE ordered..." - my Dad did lol , I've got nothing to do with it other than perhaps a test drive around town once etc. - and as it's a Fieldmaster edition, it's coming with the Premium stereo system package. Multiple posts on both this forum and others seem to say, the only difference between the Premium and the "regular" is a powered JBL 6x8 subwoofer that's like $230 from Crutchfield .... -

(If links aren't allowed I'm sorry, first post, I don't work for JBL nor Crutchfield, just trying to be accurate here) -

So is that the ONLY DIFFERENCE, you get that sub if you get Premium (They call it Advanced Speaker System with Subwoofer) - you get pretty much the smallest powered subwoofer for under the seat? Two side questions - does anyone know what the rest of the speakers are? Brand/size/etc. ? JBL is owned by a company that owns *many* of the name-brand car audio options so I wouldn't be surprised if it was all some sort of Harman product. ( When I was 17, he had a BMW Z3 that came with a supposedly very-premium Harman-Kardon stereo system - and it literally sucked... I mean the Infinity premium stereo in the Dodge Durango *beat the pants off of it* and it wasn't even close. I've always been an Infinity guy since I was a teenager, but again, it's basically all the same company right? Just curious if it's an entire JBL system.... other two cars I've purposely ordered the "premium sound system" was a Chevy Cobalt ~20 years ago with a Pioneer speaker package & subwoofer in the trunk, and pretty much the same thing in my current Jeep with Alpine. (GM used to put what were, by all accounts, really PREMIUM sound systems by Bose in their vehicles, if you ordered it etc.)

<Again that might not be the solution, there might be a biggest/best/best Value-for-Dollar/etc.>

Also - could it be replaced with a bigger/better option in the same spot? Not that this is exactly what I'd immediately get - but there is a lightly bigger JBL option, 8" and 125 watts (versus 6x8 / 100 watts) ... the dimensions aren't identical, I don't know how much room there is under that seat or not...

Last question/etc. - Has anyone put a USB storage stick / thumb drive with music into a port and played music on it? I have many songs and when I occasionally get to take a spin in the Bronco that this will be replacing , the music pops right up, it's Gravy, Baby, Got It All Smothered ... but I can't get a straight answer on this ... I tried asking on a different forum I was told that someone had many Music Videos & Movies on a thumb drive and it wouldn't play them.... yeah, I'm not talking about Music Videos & Movies, just a regular mp3 song. I THINK I saw it done on a YouTube video but it was a European person , not in the USA, perhaps I wasn't understanding the language properly etc. Thanks very much for the help and your time etc.

And before I go ... So, how does it sound? 🤣🏴‍☠️ Thanks again! (And Hey Pop!)

Zenbox

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:42 PM
Reaction score
I purchased the "Premium" system and really thought it was garbage. I am not an audiophile, but still like to have a decent sound system. First off, the subwoofer came switched off from the factory which, I gather, was common. After I figured that out, I played with trying to make it better for a several days. I just could not get over how poor the sound quality was. I ended up getting frustrated enough with the Ineos sound system to replace the subwoofer, add new speakers, add tweeter speakers, and add an amplifier. I have not been bothered enough by a sound system in any vehicle I have purchased in the last 20+ years so that should say something. I am very happy with the sound system now, but I should be for what I had to spend to get it to that point. If you would like, I will sell the stock subwoofer for a very reasonable price (you pay for shipping and packaging and its yours). However, I personally would not take me up on that as I do not believe it is worth the effort. I hope that helps. I understand some owners to be content with the sound system which I just do not understand...

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you very, very much ZB - I very much appreciate your time & especially the info. I have read similar stuff. Sucks because why bother putting something "Premium" - in a $100K vehicle at that- that isn't actually Premium.

Thanks again let me think about it all please!

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am not an audiophile but also have the premium sound system and I think it is fine after adjusting the equalizer and subwoofer settings. Just sharing another opinion.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
The Grenadier will play music from a USB thumb drive. It handles a variety of audio formats some including artwork.

More details in my manual. Download link in signature line below.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, it was exactly what I was looking for, much appreciated.

Local time
Reaction score
Every auto forum I have ever been on always have audiophiles who understandably want to upgrade the factory system....it's their passion. But for the vast majority of people the various factory options are more than fine. But some need to bash the factory system to show their 'audio superiority'.....I have seen this over and over.

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Every auto forum I have ever been on always have audiophiles who understandably want to upgrade the factory system....it's their passion. But for the vast majority of people the various factory options are more than fine. But some need to bash the factory system to show their 'audio superiority'.....I have seen this over and over.
I tend to agree with your point but, for me, this system is truly lack luster.

On our drive home, we turned on some tunes and looked at each other in disbelief. Surely it was the tuning…and we tuned, and tuned, and tuned.

I got it to a somewhat acceptable place but it’s still really weird. Turn it up even a smidge and it’s hard on the ears…harsh…aggressive. Turn it down and it sounds like the stereo is playing out of a pillow case.

I haven’t invested in aftermarket stereo equipment since my younger younger days, but even my wife said you gotta do something with this. Now THAT, my friend, is saying something. 😁

TRFAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:42 PM
Reaction score
Does any know if the wireing for the SubWoofer is wound into the wiring harness under the rear seat. I.E. can a purchase a subwoofer and basically pug it into the existing wiring?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does any know if the wireing for the SubWoofer is wound into the wiring harness under the rear seat. I.E. can a purchase a subwoofer and basically pug it into the existing wiring?
Yes. That’s what we did with mine. Wasn’t a ton of room in there though.

Coullabus

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:42 PM
Reaction score
Not necessarily.... I love good quality sound. The Bowers and Wilkins system in my Volvo is absolutely brilliant out-of-the-box.

The Grenadier system? Not so much.

:)

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. That’s what we did with mine. Wasn’t a ton of room in there though.
Any pictures or details of where the wiring was found or how you mounted the subwoofer?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No photos TBH. But I have the dual battery setup so I mounted a small sub under the passenger seat. Fit like a glove. I’ll have to remember what model and I’ll post later.

TRFAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I purchased the JBL nano from eBay for $199. I mounted the JBL in the center of the back seat and it fits perfectly. The factory plug is attached to the harness wiring, just feel for foam covering. There are M6 attachments in the floor, so I mounted two aluminum runners using plastic dowls over the SS screws to make it level with the seat frame. You need to be careful to mount the woofer, so it does not interfere with the parking break. I then used 2” Velcro strips to mount the JBL to the runners. It is easily removable and works perfectly. The only issue is tuning the woofer, for that you need to remove the front trim under the seat set the woofer and put is back in. All in all this is a 3 out of 10 in difficulty.

Attachments

• 20240831_091003.jpg
    20240831_091003.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240831_111300.jpg
    20240831_111300.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240831_111655.jpg
    20240831_111655.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20240831_113202.jpg
    20240831_113202.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
Local time
Reaction score
I tried asking Crutchfield if they'd put the Grenadier on their website, with the various options & stuff (and I myself have been using "What Fits My Car" on Crutchfield's website since like maybe 1998-1999? As far back as they had it online, I've been playing with it , over the years) - and they basically said "Yeah maybe we'll get on it someday, in the meantime, if you want to buy something call us..."

Thanks lol. I really just wanted you to put it on the website, I assume someone gets paid cash money to do things just like that lol.

e_k_powell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did the same thing and added the JBL Nano from Crutchfield except I couldn't fit under the rear seat because of the dual battery setup in the Trialmaster. I just extended the wire harness from under the back seat to under the front passenger seat and installed it there. Had to play around with subwoofer level and gain and the equalizer on the screen and finally got it dialed in. By no means high end audio system but it is serviceable for now and sounds a lot better with a little bass than without. Maybe eventually I will replace the door speakers but for now it's fine.

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Installed the SimSoundV2 package this weekend.

Overall a great improvement to the system. Makes is much more enjoyable on the ears. It takes away the muddiness and adds more depth…nice and crispy, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom