The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

2024 ADAS Issue and Work Around (USA)

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:43 PM
Reaction score
Not going to happen, at least in the US. I drive 58yo Land Rover that cannot be held to current vehicle regulations - or my '95 RRC for that matter!

I have 40-50+ year old vehicles that I daily drive as well. Some of them can not be registered in a particular neighboring state should I ever need to move there as the missing (or altered) components are simply NLA. I realize that many here would suggest that I simply don't move there. Fine, but even in my home state there are regions I can't move to without returning some of these vehicles to a condition closer to stock than they currently are.

Correct - at least here in NJ. Once a vehicle is registered as a “classic” (25 years+) no inspection and TBH no one cares. My Series didn’t even have seatbelts. I added them because they make sense, but I was not bound to legally because they were not mandatory for that MY.

These "classic" designations do not exist everywhere. I also do not readily believe any vehicle of current manufacture will gain this designation 25 (or more) years into the future - no matter how cool an enthusiast thinks it is. I sure hope it's possible but the world will have changed by then so I don't count on it. And for a low volume vehicle like the Grenadier you may be surprised at how few aftermarket parts suppliers will be willing to make runs of parts at a profitable - and affordable - price point.

Example: I was at a dismantler the other day where one of the yard hands mentioned how difficult it was to keep a favored old car he owned on the road as there were virtually no aftermarket parts suppliers for critical engine/drivetrain systems despite having been made in substantial numbers. (He gestured to the vehicle at some distance across the lot. I didn't recognize it and didn't bother to ask the name. I'm not into cars. It looked less than 20 years old to my eye.) His opinion after working quite a few years at the facility was that it was a great vehicle and was worth maintaining but was stuck pilfering parts from every example the tow truck dragged in.

I realize I am comparing Apples to Asian Pears here but there is some parity. Seat belts may not have been originally fitted to your LR so you could Jethro in a couple of pieces of rope and nobody would care. But Autonomous Emergency Braking is certainly fitted to your Grenadier. Legally you'll have to keep that working forever, no?

based on ECM evolution pertaining to older Ferraris, BMWs, Jaguars, all the early fuel injected engines provided with Bosch injection systems, there will be aftermarket replacements for all those little gadgets.

I sure hope so. I kind of doubt it with the lack of standalone systems in the Grenadier as everything runs through a canbus system and the ECU/DMU including the mandated safety equipment I mention above. Having investigated a little for other projects, I have not found anyone successfully implementing air bags or anti-lock braking systems in older vehicles nor retaining those systems with non-OEM engine or full drivetrain swaps. I'd love to see good examples that pass all NHTSA requirements for the vehicle being retrofitted.

I'm not trying poop on anyone's parade here. I'm just trying to aggregate some pragmatism into my dreamer's disposition. Thanks to everyone for the input.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Remarkably, in California there's no inspection/MOT/road-worthiness test of any kind. As long as your emissions are tits, you're golden.
Which requires maintaining your current system or retrofitting CARB certified updated and modernized equipment - not slappin' in an old school 454. I'm very familiar with California's requirements and have seen a lot of vehicles fail over the years and I don't even live there.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not going to happen, at least in the US. I drive 58yo Land Rover that cannot be held to current vehicle regulations - or my '95 RRC for that matter!

Ditto in Canada. If your vehicle had no shoulder or even lap belts, you're not required to install them.

Statistics predict you'll enjoy a longer life if you install them! But thankfully this small personal health decision is still 100% up to you!

Local time
6:43 AM
Reaction score
While an important topic worthy of deep inquiry, a discussion of government regulation and personal liberty is arguably outside the scope of this thread on what is an automotive enthusiast forum. Yes the ADAS system of the Grenadier has a connection to these issues but in the greater scope of things it is an insignificant aspect of the problems facing society. For purposes of this discussion the "annoying" aspects of the ADAS alerts and user interface are more appropriate to the intent of this forum. There are a plenitude of other venues available to discuss the finer points of politics, government and society.
I guess we'll have to disagree on this point - and below are just a handful of examples of auto-enthusiast sites where this topic is being discussed - so a lot of people seem to think it is an appropriate topic for a car-enthusiast forum. Whether or not we can drive our cars seems relevant to a lot of car-enthusiasts.

Local time
1:43 AM
Reaction score
I guess we'll have to disagree on this point - and below are just a handful of examples of auto-enthusiast sites where this topic is being discussed - so a lot of people seem to think it is an appropriate topic for a car-enthusiast forum. Whether or not we can drive our cars seems relevant to a lot of car-enthusiasts.

So much talk yet no acknowledgement that having fewer intoxicated drivers on the road might actually have considerable benefits. Does this tech feel draconian, yes it does. It is worth it for additional safety, that is up for debate. But it must be argued from both sides not just one sided fear mongering about the possible negatives.

Last edited:

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
So much talk yet no acknowledgement that having fewer intoxicated drivers on the road might actually have considerable benefits. Does this tech feel draconian, yes it does. It is worth it for additional safety, that is up for debate. But it must be argued from both sides not just one sided fear mongering about the possible negatives.
It is impossible to legislate out all of the risks to ones life and the sooner we stop trying to do so the better off we all will be as death is, and always will be, a fact of life. To inconvenience the lives of 278,063,737 vehicle owners to save a few is really pretty ridiculous.

DMZNOLA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:43 AM
Reaction score
Drove in ice on I-10 yesterday. bumper to bumper and I got bonged to death going less than 5 MPH with the car in front of me about 10-15 feet away. I'm assuming the sensors got iced over and were just freaking out. Even tried to turn off all system sounds and all ADAS and could not stop the bonging. Yes INEOS, you need to release a software solution or an audio kill/mute switch. (Eds: Bong as in sound and not as in Cheech and Chong).

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Drove in ice on I-10 yesterday. bumper to bumper and I got bonged to death going less than 5 MPH with the car in front of me about 10-15 feet away. I'm assuming the sensors got iced over and were just freaking out. Even tried to turn off all system sounds and all ADAS and could not stop the bonging. Yes INEOS, you need to release a software solution or an audio kill/mute switch. (Eds: Bong as in sound and not as in Cheech and Chong).
If the sensors were iced over, that would be the parking sensors in the bumper, and not related to ADAS at all

Local time
Reaction score
I had a rental that happened to me to and I swear I wanted to run that thing into a lake for this very reason. Never happened on my Lx 570 or any lexus for that matter all have been driven in crap blizzard conditions on I80 and I 90 both times when the interstate got closed and had to camp in the truck for a night. Growing pains of a new vehicle and dealers hundreds of miles away.....

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I had a rental that happened to me to and I swear I wanted to run that thing into a lake for this very reason.
Just turn off the PDC.... Happens in our Sprinter anytime after driving for an extended period in slush/salt/snow (just like the radar cruise control stops working in inclement weather as well for the same reason)

Back
Top Bottom