The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

You now can’t use the Smartpass consumer output

Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
Today at 5:46 AM
Took my car to the agent today to replace a door seal. They disconnected my fridge connection from the “Consumer Output” and placed a DO NOT USE sticker. What’s going on??! The red sticker says “WARNING: Consumer output not adapted for this vehicles systems DO NOT USE” the connection pin has been removed and a plastic plug inserted. They could offer no explanation other than instructed to do so by Ineos. Nor could they provide an alternate connection point.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
Took my car to the agent today to replace a door seal. They disconnected my fridge connection from the “Consumer Output” and placed a DO NOT USE sticker. What’s going on??! The red sticker says “WARNING: Consumer output not adapted for this vehicles systems DO NOT USE” the connection pin has been removed and a plastic plug inserted. They could offer no explanation other than instructed to do so by Ineos. Nor could they provide an alternate connection point.
Well, I suspected that they would do so, because one of the recall "works" was "battery conditioner output blanking". At my dealer they couldn't explain what it meant,

I was planning to remove the screw/connection pin of my smartpass myself before going to my workshop next week. Now I am sure that I will have to do that!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
The simple course of action is to run a "feed" directly from the positive terminal of the auxiliary battery and a suitable earth to a socket, and plug your fridge therein.(y) The voltage sensor on the fridge which prevents total exhaustion of the auxiliary battery then does what the SmartPass device was supposed to achieve through the "consumer output". This alternative arrangement is mentioned in the Smartpass handbook (I think!)

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If there is actually a problem with using the consumer output, I would very much like INEOS to actually tell us what it is. I have been happily using mine to power my fridge as per the instructions that came in the box with the vehicle and there do not appear to be any adverse effects

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If there is actually a problem with using the consumer output, I would very much like INEOS to actually tell us what it is. I have been happily using mine to power my fridge as per the instructions that came in the box with the vehicle and there do not appear to be any adverse effects
Agreed, silence on this point is not good enough. Explain why and also why it took so long.

I will just run a circuit from the battery terminals like I had on the Nissan Patrol. Maybe one off the main battery for the towing Anderson plug and another off the aux for accessories like the fridge.

Local time
Reaction score
Yep I have been doing the same thing until they disconnected me and offered no advice as to why or an alternative. Must say getting a little annoyed by this approach from Ineos.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep I have been doing the same thing until they disconnected me and offered no advice as to why or an alternative. Must say getting a little annoyed by this approach from Ineos.
Considering we own the car and not Ineos I think it's a bit rich to change things without advising us why and asking us if we want to - risk on you if you don't follow our advice etc. Makes you think the possible legal action against them outweighs pis5ing us off. Just thinking aloud.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
I have never had a dual battery setup, so perhaps my thought about its usefulness are naive, but if you can't hook stuff up to it, what's the point?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have never had a dual battery setup, so perhaps my thought about its usefulness are naive, but if you can't hook stuff up to it, what's the point?
It’s certainly a different approach INEOS have taken. Normally with dual battery setups you would attach high draw consumers like winches and lightbars etc, that you would only use with engine running to the main battery and attach things like fridges and camp lights and inverters etc to your second battery to preserve the starting battery when camped. INEOS appear to have decided that everything comes off the main battery and the second battery is there to boost the starting battery if it is run down. It is, lets say, a unique approach, I guess it works but generally not intuitive or normal. No idea what this thing about removing the consumer port from the Smartpass is about. Makes zero sense to me.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s certainly a different approach INEOS have taken. Normally with dual battery setups you would attach high draw consumers like winches and lightbars etc, that you would only use with engine running to the main battery and attach things like fridges and camp lights and inverters etc to your second battery to preserve the starting battery when camped. INEOS appear to have decided that everything comes off the main battery and the second battery is there to boost the starting battery if it is run down. It is, lets say, a unique approach, I guess it works but generally not intuitive or normal. No idea what this thing about removing the consumer port from the Smartpass is about. Makes zero sense to me.
Or could there be some reason they;d prefer you draw direct from second battery, rather than smartpass terminal? not convinced myself, but seems the least perplexing.
does make the idea of re-wiring the secondary fuses and power outlets to second battery look more attractive.
your question to Ineos, in case theres something of which we are all unaware needs time to be answered.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
I thought it to be exactly as you outlined. I watched this fantastic Ronny Dahl video about dual battery setups and learned a good deal. Might be worth checking out for others.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
I took a precaution, or, said in other words, I helped my dealer, I removed already the contact screw, less work for him :D

20231020_132103 contact screw.jpg
Next week I get my software update and some recall work. Curious if they will "tackle" the Smartpass.

Ineos should indeed explain why we are not "allowed" to use that output.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought it to be exactly as you outlined. I watched this fantastic Ronny Dahl video about dual battery setups and learned a good deal. Might be worth checking out for others.

Yep.
That explains exactly why Ineos have set it up the way they have.
Ronny repeats several times...............Run all driving loads off your crank battery...........secondary battery is there only as a backup.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I took a precaution, or, said in other words, I helped my dealer, I removed already the contact screw, less work for him :D

View attachment 7830256
Next week I get my software update and some recall work. Curious if they will "tackle" the Smartpass.

Ineos should indeed explain why we are not "allowed" to use that output.
I asked INEOS to give me an explanation and they said ask your agent, I have asked my agent but I don’t have any expectations they will be able to provide me with the detailed information I want, not because they aren’t helpful, they are great, but because INEOS often don’t give them the information either. So I suspect I will end up doing what Jean has done and just remove the screw terminal before it goes in. It appears that all they do is remove the screw, replace with a plastic filler screw and put a sticker on it.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You would have thought the SMARTPASS120S was tested by INEOS (including the output) after they decided to instal it. Obviously not.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You would have thought the SMARTPASS120S was tested by INEOS (including the output) after they decided to instal it. Obviously not.
Still a mystery as to what the actual issue is though.

Back
Top Bottom