The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Work light on roof grab bar

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
I assume it's the 1" version people are ordering?
Yes - I got out some calipers to measure the grab rail - it’s 0.97” - so if you put on a liner, it will prevent rotation. I got the ones QRgren mentioned - from Amazon - in 1”. They come with liner sheets. Those are different from the ones Owl Off-road recommends. Also, Baja Designs emailed me last night - they recommend the same ones that Owl recommends (the Axia Alloys ones)

MACS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:24 PM
Reaction score
I'm seeing a few nice lighting options showing up in this thread. Keep in mind that the grab railing tube is free to rotate in the factory mounts so any light that attaches to the tube is susceptible to movement and especially over harsh terrain. You don't want your shiny new lights bouncing around and getting damaged, or damaging the drip rail/roof gutter.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm seeing a few nice lighting options showing up in this thread. Keep in mind that the grab railing tube is free to rotate in the factory mounts so any light that attaches to the tube is susceptible to movement and especially over harsh terrain. You don't want your shiny new lights bouncing around and getting damaged, or damaging the drip rail/roof gutter.
Good point - I just remove them when not in use

Jeffrey

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:24 PM
Reaction score
If you are running the Leitner roof rack, or perhaps others that mount on the rail brackets, this prevents rotation.

MACS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:24 AM
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the grab railing tube is free to rotate [...]
I have another bracket already in use. My tubes are not free to rotate. Maybe with a very strong twist. But not under normal usage.

jamesfielding

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Most work lights come with wire ends and you need to add the DTP plug. Which is easy if you have the DTP crimper and spare pins/sockets (as the DTP plug comes with the rooftop outlets). Then you plug and play.

A list of Australian suppliers of work lights is here. Lightforce and STEDI I think can be sourced in the US. The Teralume strip light is really good , and I have seen it marketed under different names, but I do not know any US suppliers.
Sorry to ask quite a basic question, but I'm struggling to find the right DTP connectors here in the UK. Can you link where you bought yours from so I can try and match a product code?

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Sorry to ask quite a basic question, but I'm struggling to find the right DTP connectors here in the UK. Can you link where you bought yours from so I can try and match a product code?
Try this company. I used them to purchase dtp plugs ,sockets and pins

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Motorsport suppliers often have them.

Plus there is at least 3 UK sources given in the DTP thread here, including Farnells, Amazon UK and Retrofitparts.

Edit make that 4.

Last edited:

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you everyone, sorry to hi-jack the Work Light on Roof Grab Bar thread.
No it was a good question - many/most options on lights will require you to add a DTP connector, it’s important to get the right one. Don’t forget to pick up a crimper if you’re using a closed connector (which most people would recommend)

TXJOHN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No it was a good question - many/most options on lights will require you to add a DTP connector, it’s important to get the right one. Don’t forget to pick up a crimper if you’re using a closed connector (which most people would recommend)
As a beginner in DTP world, how do you know which is the "right one" for the outlets along the roof? Thanks

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As a beginner in DTP world, how do you know which is the "right one" for the outlets along the roof? Thanks
TXJOHN - go a few posts up and check out the link reposted by TheDocAUS. That is a brilliant write-up. Since you’re in the US, the easiest way to get it right is to order through Agile Offroad. They make sure all their kits are correct, regardless who manufactures it. I’ve purchased a few things from them - they really dummy-proof everything for those of us who are beginners on mechanical and electrical stuff. Under “Grenadier,” go to “Electrical” - order one female kit, one male kit, and one crimper. That way, you are guaranteed to get it right. Also watch the instructional video on the link from the repost I mentioned above from TheDocAUS. Just a note of caution - polarity was bizarrely switched on assembly on one of my ports (in Hambach), so I had to do black to red and red to black on one of my accessories. No biggie - just took an extra few minutes to figure out why it wasn’t working. Just part of the Gen 1 charm of those early deliveries ;o)

TXJOHN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
TXJOHN - go a few posts up and check out the link reposted by TheDocAUS. That is a brilliant write-up. Since you’re in the US, the easiest way to get it right is to order through Agile Offroad. They make sure all their kits are correct, regardless who manufactures it. I’ve purchased a few things from them - they really dummy-proof everything for those of us who are beginners on mechanical and electrical stuff. Under “Grenadier,” go to “Electrical” - order one female kit, one male kit, and one crimper. That way, you are guaranteed to get it right. Also watch the instructional video on the link from the repost I mentioned above from TheDocAUS. Just a note of caution - polarity was bizarrely switched on assembly on one of my ports (in Hambach), so I had to do black to red and red to black on one of my accessories. No biggie - just took an extra few minutes to figure out why it wasn’t working. Just part of the Gen 1 charm of those early deliveries ;o)
Thanks for the references. TheDoc's post makes me feel like I want to grad school.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
Not the grab rail per se, but wondering if there are suggestions for a mount to grab in underneath a slotted rack. Will be ordering the Leitner rack, but prefer my forward side light to be able to swivel 45 degrees. Their mount prevents that. Most likely be using S2’s.

Back
Top Bottom