The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wireless rear view camera

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
Same here - I drove trucks for years without anything but side mirrors, then my Def 130 and never had any mishaps.… but the I got an ARB rear view mirror with camera, mainly to take a little of the guesswork/good luck of aligning and hooking up trailers… and now I love it. It’s great when travelling to just to check on how the trailer/load is travelling, or to see what that ratbag on your arse is doing. Just one of those gadgets - good to have - not essential‼️
Yes I like them also but can still drive without one.
As for the ratbag on my arse............
Mostly I just don't look at them and cruise along, or I plant the right foot and leave them wondering what happened.
I must say though I always move over on two lane roads as soon as i finish overtaking.
I never sit in the fast lane
I have driven on the Autostrada and autobahn and even when doing 220kmh I have been overtaken, once by a motorbike.
In Australia many people sit in the fast lane doing what their speedo tells them is the speed limit.
Dickheads.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:16 PM
Reaction score
I really like the rear view camera. The wide angle is really good, its like you can see round corners almost when reversing out of a space. Its great for hitching trailers. I have used much worse ones.
But it is unfortunately crap if you need it at night as the lights for the number plates blind the camera.

Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
How did people cope for so many years driving vehicles without rear vision cameras???
We must have never been able to reverse anywhere!
I drove F100/150's with a canopy on the back so had to reverse using the side mirrors and the force.
You can say the same about the internet, iPhones, and really any other advancement (fuel injection, heated seats, auxiliary batteries and wiring are just a few Grenadier-specific examples). Sometimes things aren't entirely necessary but they make life easier.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You can say the same about the internet, iPhones, and really any other advancement (fuel injection, heated seats, auxiliary batteries and wiring are just a few Grenadier-specific examples). Sometimes things aren't entirely necessary but they make life easier.
iPhones and the internet are completely essential.
How else would we take pictures of our food and post them on Facebook????

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:16 PM
Reaction score
Today I fitted the Wolfbox rear view mirror dash cam.
To say I am impressed with the results is an understatement. I have some tidying up of the wiring on the rear door which will involve removing some plastic but overall, it hasn't taken more than a couple of hours. I need to live with it for a few days before posting more details on here as to performance of the unit and how I fitted it.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Today I fitted the Wolfbox rear view mirror dash cam.
To say I am impressed with the results is an understatement. I have some tidying up of the wiring on the rear door which will involve removing some plastic but overall, it hasn't taken more than a couple of hours. I need to live with it for a few days before posting more details on here as to performance of the unit and how I fitted it.
Where did you grab the power from?

Reactions: PBD

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Where did you grab the power from?
Haven’t wired it in yet. Running of the power outlet in the centre box. Plan on tapping into the front power outlet as described by Jean on here. That should allow me to shut off all power to the camera when at home but leave it on via the roof power switch if in a public space.
The standard power cord for linking up the rear camera is a tiny bit too short to use. Had to buy the extended version which is miles too long. 🤷‍♂️

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I like them also but can still drive without one.
As for the ratbag on my arse............
Mostly I just don't look at them and cruise along, or I plant the right foot and leave them wondering what happened.
I must say though I always move over on two lane roads as soon as i finish overtaking.
I never sit in the fast lane
I have driven on the Autostrada and autobahn and even when doing 220kmh I have been overtaken, once by a motorbike.
In Australia many people sit in the fast lane doing what their speedo tells them is the speed limit.
Dickheads.
Interesting in QLD there are some dual carriageways that don’t have a fast lane as such in that both lanes can be used for overtaking and there is literally no remit to stay on the left. When I found this out my mind was blown. It’s even worse than the Melbourne right turn by moving to the left atrocity.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

RYAustralia

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, seems keeping generally left is still a thing, phew - I stand corrected. But the other thing being the last line - Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multilane roads. That is a mind blowing bit and still remains so. o_O :)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, seems keeping generally left is still a thing, phew - I stand corrected. But the other thing being the last line - Drivers are allowed to overtake on the left on all multilane roads. That is a mind blowing bit and still remains so. o_O :)
Overtaking on the left is mainly due to multilane highways
we have 3-5 lanes in each direction around Brisbane

Austin-TX-Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
Haven’t wired it in yet. Running of the power outlet in the centre box. Plan on tapping into the front power outlet as described by Jean on here. That should allow me to shut off all power to the camera when at home but leave it on via the roof power switch if in a public space.
The standard power cord for linking up the rear camera is a tiny bit too short to use. Had to buy the extended version which is miles too long. 🤷‍♂️
Wondering how your Wolfbox install turned out. I’m about to get the Wolfbox G900 Pro for my IG and was wondering where you eventually drew power from and where you mounted the camera.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wondering how your Wolfbox install turned out. I’m about to get the Wolfbox G900 Pro for my IG and was wondering where you eventually drew power from and where you mounted the camera.
Hi Austin
Wolfbox turned out very well. I can switch off the wolfbox when at home if I wish. (In honesty, I seldom do). I tapped into the wiring for the 12 volt outlet in the glovebox which is powered by one of the overhead switches.

Wolf.hound

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Question about the wolf box. If anyone has installed one, where have you obtained your fused constant power and the accessory power from? New at this on a new car and would rather not tap into the actual wire harness for the rear back up lines. Also, where have you mounted your rear view cameras? Any advice, preferably good advice, would be most appreciated!

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Question about the wolf box. If anyone has installed one, where have you obtained your fused constant power and the accessory power from? New at this on a new car and would rather not tap into the actual wire harness for the rear back up lines. Also, where have you mounted your rear view cameras? Any advice, preferably good advice, would be most appreciated!
All you can read here…lots of information..

Wolfbox Thread

Local time
4:16 PM
Reaction score
The infotainment (HMI) is not BMW iDrive related at all; it is bespoke to the Grenadier; and as with most other systems if it only comes with the backup camera, that will be the only input (specifically as it was not designed to have additional cameras added or optioned).

In other vehicle realms there are input switchers available to add a front camera (quite popular in the Toyota world), but with the Grenadier being fairly low in production numbers, I'm not sure when a company will be willing to invest the time/money to create a plug'n'play solution.

With that being said, I've become very accustomed to using the 360º cameras on both our Sprinter and Tacoma in pretty much all parking lot situations, but never felt the need to with the Grenadier given its fairly compact size and visibility. Off-Road I have never really been able to get on board with using the cameras over using mirrors (for rear tire placement)
Well the screen looks identical to the one in my old 7 series.

Back
Top Bottom