The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch recovery kit

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:35 PM
Reaction score
Don't forget the force required to extract a stuck vehicle will be less than GVM unless you are lifting it vertically:

View attachment 7819828

* A simplified version, it gets more complicated if you have missing wheels, etc
It's harder if you also have a fat bastard behind the wheel.

AWo

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
Real world measurements unveil the following numbers, I use as pulling examples. They are close to what @DCPU posted. If you do not know your vehicle weight, use the GVM. For most people it is interesting to see, that the needed pulling power is not as high as expected most of the time. And it get's also clear, that reducing the weight or the resistance the ground applies is key.

2023-07-13_09h00_47.jpg

AWo

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Maybe @AWo can interpret those diagrams/ratings?
If not official term ist used, only the manufacturer could tell how to interpret the values.

However, "maximum working load" is another term for WLL. But I can't tell you if Ineos know that (looking at the recovery kit).

AWo

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi All.
After seeing the photo of a Saber Winch Shackle on the front of Grenadier Red Winch the other day I contacted Saber Offroad (Australia) directly about their experience.

They felt that their Alloy Winch Shackle Short was the best fit for the vehicle
They would use a rope spool with the Red Winch.
In regards to permanently mounting the Winch Shackle they said "there is no reason why you can’t run the spliced winch rope back onto the drum. The splice was no different to anything we see daily"

So if you order a Winch Shackle from their site, they will throw in a FREE rope spool if you leave a note that it is for a "GRENADIER - in the Order Notes field in the Shipping Method area (just before you get to payment).

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I guess you can't give a rating for every possible scenario. Ballistic recoveries in particular.
And everything assumes all equipment is in "as new" condition!
And even more under ideal conditions. Straight vectors on the revovery points, for example.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
with my defender I had a set of reinforced aluminium sand /bridging ladders. They were brilliant ,there only downside was the weight
For decades, sand ladders were undoubtedly a good choice. But Jean is right: the Maxtrax' are probably the best you can get in the range of lightweight substitutes that take up little space.

They cost a fortune, though, nearly €700 for two pairs of them.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
They look very nice. 😍

Did you sell them?

I had some recycled lengths of old, original steel PSP, recovered off Salisbury Plain. Did me proud for many years.
Yes I sold them with the Defender as a ready to go expedition vehicle. I purchased them direct from the company in Hungary so no middle man.
we had a near miss years ago with a steel sand mat spat out of the back of a vehicle Into a guys chest. Luckily a big bloke and no lasting damage , me being shorter, i would have been decapitated 😳

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes I sold them with the Defender as a ready to go expedition vehicle. I purchased them direct from the company in Hungary so no middle man.
we had a near miss years ago with a steel sand mat spat out of the back of a vehicle Into a guys chest. Luckily a big bloke and no lasting damage , me being shorter, i would have been decapitated 😳
To be honest, I don't have any experience with sand ladders or maxtracs, although, once in Tunisia around 1994 I got really stuck in the desert in a hole in the Sahara dunes in the south, but after half an hour I got out, after unloading the car and a lot of yoyo attempts. Sand ladders would have helped me indeed.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For decades, sand ladders were undoubtedly a good choice. But Jean is right: the Maxtrax' are probably the best you can get in the range of lightweight substitutes that take up little space.

They cost a fortune, though, nearly €700 for two pairs of them.
Agreed . My wife also ends doing most of the sand track recovery so easier for her. My home made sand matts made from three BFG track edge side walls bolted to two tread lengths x 2 of were Namibia - Hobatere to Ongongo Camp (39).jpeg very heavy to lift but a great effective cheap solution for overlanding on a budget. Luckily these days the budget is not so constrained.Namibia - Marble Hill Camp to Puros Camp (12).jpeg

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
IMG_2133.jpeg

IMG_2131.jpeg Just received my Saber recovery ring. Quite a substantial piece of kit. The reason I chose this over other makes is the bigger bend radius so less strain on the rope.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
And what's the weight?

Back
Top Bottom