The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

What did you do with your Grenadier today?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:48 PM
Reaction score
No problem. My design principles were that I wanted to keep the top of the fridge in line with the top of the rear seat back when placed on top of the drawers. This resulted in the top of the drawers being the same height as the left side inner trim “shoulder”. I chose to fit the drawer top flush to internal trims on each side. The downside of this decision is that I have relocated the jack into one of my new drawers. I think it was a pretty poor place to install the jack originally, so no big deal really.

I left the boot floor mat in place and secured the drawers into the captive nuts already fitted for the tie down rails. In theory, you could remove the boot floor mat and gain an extra 20mm, but in practice, the bottom of each drawer will then hit the plastic trim in the boot floor. So that trim would also have to be removed and replace with something else.

Dimensions of each drawer ………

Internal length is 800mm

View attachment 7819246

Internal width is 500mm

View attachment 7819247

and internal depth is 250mm

View attachment 7819248

Finally, the fridge slide is 625mm long (to fit a Dometic CX35).

I think there is a further 90mm usable between the top of the seat back and the front edge of the drawers. I think 715mm is your realistic limit for the length of fridge, once you allow for the fridge slide as well.

View attachment 7819245

I’ve spent an hour earlier this evening trying to see what will fit where. I think I’m almost there, but will have another look again tomorrow before I commit to screwing down tie down points. I may re-locate and re-use the original tie down rails, not decided yet.

View attachment 7819244

I think the bottom line is …. there’s not that much space to play with, so you need to take your time to maximise space use. My chairs are now touching the luggage net I added into the roof space, so I’ve not got too much left to play with.

Still waiting for my rear door table and cargo barrier from Ineos to finish it off (and the mats, and the official tow bar, and the replacement bolts that dropped off two months ago) but that’s another story.

Any questions, please let me know
Thanks for that. Confirms my fear that the Engel 60l is a definite no go and I’ll need to sell that and get an alternative. And that my 900mm fridge slide drawer also not likely to fit.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We're you expecting that sort of weight? How much of it is the fridge slide. I'd like to do same but would likely exceed GVM. I'll be towing so lose 260kgs payload from ball/nose weight. Tare of vehicle will be 2940kgs so leaves just 210 payload for gear, drawers, fridge.
Don't forget the humans also come out of your 210kgs.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Confirms my fear that the Engel 60l is a definite no go and I’ll need to sell that and get an alternative. And that my 900mm fridge slide drawer also not likely to fit.
I know people are divided on them, but I've just bought a Bushman 85lt upright for my IG, this is not only lighter than any comparable fridge of that size (and lesser in fact) but the ease of access and the dimensions leave room at the back for storage accessed from behind the seats.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know people are divided on them, but I've just bought a Bushman 85lt upright for my IG, this is not only lighter than any comparable fridge of that size (and lesser in fact) but the ease of access and the dimensions leave room at the back for storage accessed from behind the seats.
I just wish I could find a good one that was also 240v. Not being able to move it to the general camp area say under the tarp / annex etc with a lead to the car is also something I’m used to doing. My engel gets a fair bit of use at home as well.
And needing to use baskets etc to keep stuff from falling everywhere and having to regularly defrost the freezer are other aspects that concern me.
For weekends away etc I think they’d be excellent but durability and practicality on an extended bush trip, I’m not yet convinced.
The upright nature lends itself perfectly to the IG though.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just wish I could find a good one that was also 240v.
And needing to use baskets etc to keep stuff from falling everywhere and having to regularly defrost the freezer are other aspects that concern me.
For weekends away etc I think they’d be excellent but durability and practicality on an extended bush trip, I’m not yet convinced.
There is a fan you can get which reduces the need for defrosting, and this is my first upright in any vehicle so fingers crossed 🤞 So far durability seems to be good, I haven't personally seen any negative feedback about them. The IG will only be used for its intended purpose so for me the need to load things from the big green shed on weekends will be taken over from my other vehicles so the need to be able to modify the rear for me is not important.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just wish I could find a good one that was also 240v. Not being able to move it to the general camp area say under the tarp / annex etc with a lead to the car is also something I’m used to doing. My engel gets a fair bit of use at home as well.

Input voltage (AC), [V]​

100-240

Input voltage (DC), [V]​

12/24

Rated input current (AC), [A]​

Rated input current (DC), [A]​

Rated input power (AC), [W]​

Input frequency, [Hz]​

50/60

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Input voltage (AC), [V]​

100-240

Input voltage (DC), [V]​

12/24

Rated input current (AC), [A]​

Rated input current (DC), [A]​

Rated input power (AC), [W]​

Input frequency, [Hz]​

50/60
And only 3 times the price of a Kings, which they say is a Bushman (Identical but who knows). A bargain. But still not very portable. Thanks @DaveB - I know there are options, I’m just not sure about “built for purpose “
Built for motorhomes and caravans, I just wonder how they’d go after 3 weeks of 5-10 hour days on corrugations.

@MrMike if you gwt to do a decent trip with it soon please give some feedback 🙏

At this stage I’m more inclined to look at the Bushman 35/52 box fridge, but we’ll see what happens. It will no doubt be influenced by how I eventually set up the back with drawers or shelves or whatever.

Last edited:

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent company to deal with. My brother in law is a dealer for them, and installs a lot of their products in caravans. A company that stands behind their products, even if they happen to fail, and always willing to listen to its customers and improve the product.
Customer service second to none....... which feels wrong typing those words in an INEOS forum.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Excellent company to deal with. My brother in law is a dealer for them, and installs a lot of their products in caravans. A company that stands behind their products, even if they happen to fail, and always willing to listen to its customers and improve the product.
Customer service second to none....... which feels wrong typing those words in an INEOS forum.
I have had a Bushman chest fridge for a very long time more than 15 years. Great gear, never missed a beat. A couple of years ago the control panel failed and I called them up to see whether I could buy a replacement and they said “that shouldn’t have happened” and sent me a new one for free with instructions and I replaced it in about 5 minutes with a screwdriver. Fabulous company.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have had a Bushman chest fridge for a very long time more than 15 years. Great gear, never missed a beat. A couple of years ago the control panel failed and I called them up to see whether I could buy a replacement and they said “that shouldn’t have happened” and sent me a new one for free with instructions and I replaced it in about 5 minutes with a screwdriver. Fabulous company.
Yours, MrMike's and Davman's recommendation gives comfort given I have had the same service out of my current Engel for the last 19 years (I bought it with my 100 Series in '04 - never missed a beat) and used for about 1/2 of the year every year I'd guess with house use as well.

Local time
Reaction score
Don't forget the humans also come out of your 210kgs.
Sorry wasn't clear, 210kgs remaining after 140 for 2 psgrs. Also included is +7.5kgs for fuel as base tare is 2811kg with 90% fuel.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Got to ask, how long are you out there when using a 65l fridge. I'm looking at a 30l drawer fridge for carrying the essentials. Lots of pb and j when we camp.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Whole heartedly agree with you on this, I have the 52lt and needed parts, they were brilliant to deal with.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Got to ask, how long are you out there when using a 65l fridge. I'm looking at a 30l drawer fridge for carrying the essentials. Lots of pb and j when we camp.
We can be away from any supplies for up to 4 weeks depending on location. We use our 72 lt fridge in the camper and the 52lt in the vehicle also. As long as we have water, we're ok

Attachments

• 197830539_10225843063364473_7635217342573716489_n.jpg
    197830539_10225843063364473_7635217342573716489_n.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
And only 3 times the price of a Kings, which they say is a Bushman (Identical but who knows). A bargain. But still not very portable. Thanks @DaveB - I know there are options, I’m just not sure about “built for purpose “
Built for motorhomes and caravans, I just wonder how they’d go after 3 weeks of 5-10 hour days on corrugations.

@MrMike if you gwt to do a decent trip with it soon please give some feedback 🙏

At this stage I’m more inclined to look at the Bushman 35/52 box fridge, but we’ll see what happens. It will no doubt be influenced by how I eventually set up the back with drawers or shelves or whatever.
Hi @bigleonski I'm taking it out soon in my LC so I'll give you feedback, but plenty out there touring AU with them, there are the bars to hold things in place inside the fridge, I suppose its a bit like learing a differnt way to pack, well for me anyway.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I bought the 60L engel mainly for my 3 week + desert trips etc. We’ll often be 10 days plus away from anywhere you can replenish supplies, so I’ll often get 15 or so meals / meat options for two people cryovaced beforehand on a trip like that before I leave. Makes it easy. That, general food and a rotating six pack / drinks / wine and it works well. It’s overkill on smaller long weekend trips etc but I’ve never bothered buying a smaller 35-40L as well. When I bought it I was also having to cater for a family of 5 as well.

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:48 PM
Reaction score
Sorry, here still in English

May I ask you where you installed the ARB compressor?
:unsure:
Hello Markus

It’s mounted next to the auxiliary battery under the rear seat. There are pre-installed power cables (40amp) and a trigger wire for the relay switch. Please go back to post #797 in this thread, it’s all documented there with pictures.

Back
Top Bottom