The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Welcome to the IG Forum Skunk Works: Let's create the products that WE want

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:37 PM
Reaction score
For the past several months I have been working with @Stu_Barnes (the forum founder) and a handful of other folks here on the forum to select, design, prototype, test, and manufacture a series of Grenadier products. Some of these are now available for purchase through the forum store (GrenadierWorks.com) and more will be soon.

1724725410012.png

We have focused on creating solutions to known problems, or new items that the aftermarket is not addressing for various reasons. So far it has been a lot of fun.

I do product development for a living so I have experience and resources that make it possible for me to do this on the side. What is being sold on the forum is not making enough money to pay me for my time and probably never will. My effort is effectively a donation to the forum, and by extension, the global owner community.

I am wondering if there are more people out there that would like to help with this effort. I think we could make some amazing things if we stay organized and we keep it focused. I know we could accomplish a lot more than I can do myself.

So I am looking for like-minded folks that want to help create some cool stuff and are willing to be unselfish about it. This would be an unofficial Grenadier Works design/test group. Stu calls it our Skunk Works. The only motivation is the fun and satisfaction of creating something useful for the owner community.

What is Grenadier Works?
A loose collaboration hosted on the forum, by forum members motivated to create solutions for Grenadier owners worldwide. It is this group's collective output, being distributed worldwide for the betterment of the owner community.

What types of things could we design/produce?
niche items (when the sales volume will be too low to attract normal aftermarket)
cost-effective solutions that broaden our options (better allow us to install other companies' products)
useful solutions that other aftermarket vendors can't or won't pursue for whatever reason
probably no electronics due to the costs/risks

How this works
Products will be
- priced for eventual break-even, not profiteering
- primarily US-sourced, to keep the supply logistics manageable
- primarily distributed via the forum store (when Stu agrees to it)
There is no design "ownership" or protections (there will be no patents)
Egos are not welcome or helpful
Any profit goes to support the forum as an ongoing resource for owners

What skills/abilities are needed
Creative ideas, sound solutions
Product evaluation and testing feedback
a collaborative mindset
good communication skills
ego suppression skills
hands-on testers with good written communication, for getting real-world feedback
Anyone experienced in Product Development and Design-for-Manufacturing

How can we work together?
Communication will be through the forum, in English
Technical task comm thru DM/group message when appropriate
I primarily design in SolidWorks CAD so I prefer that format
designing for multiple fabrication sources (not any specific vendor) is recommended

How to volunteer
Comment here if you want. DM me with your interests/capabilities if you want. We will figure this out as we go, based on response.
If you want to suggest an idea (product) for development, go for it

Who can help
Forum members, current owners
Vendors are welcome to participate in the conversation, but please be aware that there are no IP protections, implied or otherwise

Things to avoid
Negativity. Criticizing an idea may kill it before it can mature into a good idea.
Personal criticism/attacks. Ideas will live or die on their merits, their originators do not need to be attacked.
Profiteering. No one is going to get paid back for the time invested.
We will avoid competing with existing products on the market simply to sell something a little cheaper. The point of this is to increase options.

Want to help?? Let me know with a reply or a direct message.

Last edited:

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
[This thread was hidden for a while and replies were locked... all fixed now.]

A few more possible questions answered:

Who is getting rich off of this?
HAHAHAHAHAHA. No one.
This process is difficult and the market is small.

Won't people steal our ideas?
Yes, probably. If they can make it cheaper/better, then they should do it. Owners should buy it from them instead. Let the free market work.

Who will guarantee the products?
Stu is running the forum store. He has to make sure customers are happy. It's up to him to make the judgment call on what to sell there.

Who gets any profits?
Like it or not, the forum costs money and has to have some form of income. In some way we will all share the cost of this resource or we will lose it. We might contribute by viewing and clicking on ads, or Stu could start an OnlyFans, or we can help pay by buying forum stuff. I prefer the latter. I hope the forum makes a few bucks from this to help offset other costs.

Are you (BenTN) getting paid by the forum? Do you have some ownership in the forum?
No and no. I am doing this for fun and the satisfaction of making new things. I do help fabricate some of the items on the forum store, and some day I hope to recoup my direct expenses (prototypes etc), but I will never recoup my time. That is a donation. Paying market value for that time would bankrupt these low-volume projects.

What if this effort creates some loss?
The forum is a small entity that is not a target for lawsuits, so we will hope that doesn't happen.
When someone orders the wrong part or returns something, it costs a little bit to fix that. I hope we can help each other keep that waste to a minimum. The forum will avoid taking a gamble that it can't afford to lose.

What if my product idea is so valuable I don't want to give it away for free?
That's up to each individual, but if 25 years of product development has taught me anything it is this: Your idea is not valuable. Only execution is valuable.

What if something takes off and makes lots of money? That doesn't seem fair!
Let's hope we have that problem. Maybe it puts the forum in the black and it can keep going for a long time. We win.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
Fun idea, and a continuation of the journey you're on.
My skill is in software and electronics, I lead teams that design and build those types of systems professionally. Primarily for industrial use at large scale.
I'm particularly good at product market fit for disruptive technologies.

I am not great at mechanical so I don't see how I bring much value except with experience with the overall process which I'm very familiar with. At least for high value goods (I've been an exec in the industry for a very long time).

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:37 AM
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have the skills you require. However, like to thank you for the time and effort you are all putting I!

BTW: Love to see a transfer gear Knob made of metal.
I second a replacement transfer knob, round billet aluminium (or other metal) with pattern recessed or etched into the top. Would sell like a selling thing.

Otherwise done in black phenolic resin proper 8 ball style, coming with a sticker for the pattern which could be placed on the blank centre console area in front of the transfer lever.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sunvisor relocation bracket to get them up and away a bit from the window when not in use. I struggle with seeing traffic lights and I have my seat at the lowest setting. i would never get aircraft visors btw. those are too hideous even for me...

Side track mounted picnic table. Just the bracket, I can fashion the surface for the table. Ideally one that can be folded and has adjustable height. Would be nice to have a table under the awning, and the options I've seen won't let me adjust the height.

Last edited:

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Sunvisor relocation bracket to get them up and away a bit from the window when not in use. I struggle with seeing traffic lights and I have my seat at the lowest setting....
I have thought about this so many time sitting at stop lights. I want to address that and also close the gap at either end of the visor (near A-pillar and near rearview mirror).

And don't get me started on the ridiculous side window coverage of the visor when pivoted outward. What a waste of motion to cover a sliver of the top front edge of the side window.

I might start a new thread on this topic at some point.

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just a quick reminder to anyone that wants to get involved: There are conversations happening right now in forum group messages that are influencing the design of a range of products that are making their way to the forum store soon. If you are interested in contributing in any way (even if it is just opinions about what is most needed), contact me and I will get you plugged in.

Here are a few ongoing design projects, some of which are in prototype or about to start batch manufacturing:

- Simple Front Bumper light bar for mounting lights, attaches with factory mount bolts
- multi-purpose Utility Rail bracket that serves a few different functions
- a chase light attachment bracket that attaches to the Utility Rail
- a simple and robust fold-down side step that attaches to the Utility Rail
- two more auxiliary light grill mount options (beyond the current Exzeit and KC)
- rear gate interior pull handle

Reply here or direct message me if you want to contribute.

Products end up available here so that everyone can benefit:

1725587312562.png

You don't need to be an expert or an engineer to help.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm in but I don't know what I don't know.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:37 PM
Reaction score
Happy to assist where possible.
I am not especially creative, or equipped for this sort of engineering however, I am a good communicator with a positive attitude, and happy to provided testing and feedback where required.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
“rear gate pull handle”… is that referring to a pull handle for the small rear door? If not, I’ve only seen one design (a leather loop). Invaluable if trying to sleep in your vehicle

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For the past several months I have been working with @Stu_Barnes (the forum founder) and a handful of other folks here on the forum to select, design, prototype, test, and manufacture a series of Grenadier products. Some of these are now available for purchase through the forum store (GrenadierWorks.com) and more will be soon.

View attachment 7868179

We have focused on creating solutions to known problems, or new items that the aftermarket is not addressing for various reasons. So far it has been a lot of fun.

I do product development for a living so I have experience and resources that make it possible for me to do this on the side. What is being sold on the forum is not making enough money to pay me for my time and probably never will. My effort is effectively a donation to the forum, and by extension, the global owner community.

I am wondering if there are more people out there that would like to help with this effort. I think we could make some amazing things if we stay organized and we keep it focused. I know we could accomplish a lot more than I can do myself.

So I am looking for like-minded folks that want to help create some cool stuff and are willing to be unselfish about it. This would be an unofficial Grenadier Works design/test group. Stu calls it our Skunk Works. The only motivation is the fun and satisfaction of creating something useful for the owner community.

What is Grenadier Works?
A loose collaboration hosted on the forum, by forum members motivated to create solutions for Grenadier owners worldwide. It is this group's collective output, being distributed worldwide for the betterment of the owner community.

What types of things could we design/produce?
niche items (when the sales volume will be too low to attract normal aftermarket)
cost-effective solutions that broaden our options (better allow us to install other companies' products)
useful solutions that other aftermarket vendors can't or won't pursue for whatever reason
probably no electronics due to the costs/risks

How this works
Products will be
- priced for eventual break-even, not profiteering
- primarily US-sourced, to keep the supply logistics manageable
- primarily distributed via the forum store (when Stu agrees to it)
There is no design "ownership" or protections (there will be no patents)
Egos are not welcome or helpful
Any profit goes to support the forum as an ongoing resource for owners

What skills/abilities are needed
Creative ideas, sound solutions
Product evaluation and testing feedback
a collaborative mindset
good communication skills
ego suppression skills
hands-on testers with good written communication, for getting real-world feedback
Anyone experienced in Product Development and Design-for-Manufacturing

How can we work together?
Communication will be through the forum, in English
Technical task comm thru DM/group message when appropriate
I primarily design in SolidWorks CAD so I prefer that format
designing for multiple fabrication sources (not any specific vendor) is recommended

How to volunteer
Comment here if you want. DM me with your interests/capabilities if you want. We will figure this out as we go, based on response.
If you want to suggest an idea (product) for development, go for it

Who can help
Forum members, current owners
Vendors are welcome to participate in the conversation, but please be aware that there are no IP protections, implied or otherwise

Things to avoid
Negativity. Criticizing an idea may kill it before it can mature into a good idea.
Personal criticism/attacks. Ideas will live or die on their merits, their originators do not need to be attacked.
Profiteering. No one is going to get paid back for the time invested.
We will avoid competing with existing products on the market simply to sell something a little cheaper. The point of this is to increase options.

Want to help?? Let me know with a reply or a direct message.
Hi @BenTN can you please give the exact model of the Exzeit lights and do you know if the Amp draw matches the OEM lights? In other words can you just wire to the existing harness?

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @BenTN can you please give the exact model of the Exzeit lights and do you know if the Amp draw matches the OEM lights? In other words can you just wire to the existing harness?
The exact Exzeit lights are linked on the forum store page here:

No, the amp draw is dramatically higher (10x) than the OE grill lights. So no, you can not use the existing wiring. The fuse will pop. Most people seem to be using EXT5 if you have it.

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
“rear gate pull handle”… is that referring to a pull handle for the small rear door? If not, I’ve only seen one design (a leather loop). Invaluable if trying to sleep in your vehicle
I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the large 70% gate.

I find it awkward to grab the door (which ends up being the outside edge and rubber seal) when closing it, especially if I am traveling and the rear of the vehicle is filthy. I have printed a prototype inner handle that works great and attaches to existing screws. I want to further develop that to include a couple more features (would be a great spot for a bottle-opener).

The smaller door could use a handle too, for the reason you mention.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Perhaps something like this wireless phone charger to insert in front of the I.G. gear lever? I know Jean has done something similar but for the rest of us something off the shelf would be most welcome.

1725769465785.png

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom