The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Water in the door?

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:20 AM
Reaction score
This morning I rinsed my Grenadier off with a hose. I drove for about 30 minutes and then just happened to open all four doors. The right front and left rear had a surprising amount of water come out onto the ground, the other two were dry as expected. I went through the TSBs and didn't find anything that described exactly what I experienced. Is there some drain hole or something specific I should be looking for to make sure the water drains?

No water in the footwells or anywhere inside, so it seems to be trapped at the bottom of the door..

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
This morning I rinsed my Grenadier off with a hose. I drove for about 30 minutes and then just happened to open all four doors. The right front and left rear had a surprising amount of water come out onto the ground, the other two were dry as expected. I went through the TSBs and didn't find anything that described exactly what I experienced. Is there some drain hole or something specific I should be looking for to make sure the water drains?

No water in the footwells or anywhere inside, so it seems to be trapped at the bottom of the door..
Welcome to the "Boot Wash" Club ☺️

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Was the water trapped between the door and the cill aka boot wash, or as I think you are describing the water was actually inside the door itself and then draining out of the bottom of the door when you opened it.

If it’s the second I don’t remember actually hearing of anyone reporting this problem. If it’s the second, look up a thread called “wet feet”, that will bring you up to speed 👍

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Was the water trapped between the door and the cill aka boot wash, or as I think you are describing the water was actually inside the door itself and then draining out of the bottom of the door when you opened it.

If it’s the second I don’t remember actually hearing of anyone reporting this problem. If it’s the second, look up a thread called “wet feet”, that will bring you up to speed 👍

The "wet feet" thread has a video showing exactly what I experienced. It was hard to decipher what the cause is but it looked like a deformed gasket causes the problem. I will go look for those tomorrow and see what I can see. Thank you for sending me to that thread, I would have never found it. This is the video someone else posted:

Attachments

• 7805683-a4e46e6685c5e14bfc0b05ec11ad58e7.mp4
    1.4 MB

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The "wet feet" thread has a video showing exactly what I experienced. It was hard to decipher what the cause is but it looked like a deformed gasket causes the problem. I will go look for those tomorrow and see what I can see. Thank you for sending me to that thread, I would have never found it. This is the video someone else posted:
Its water getting trapped between the door seal and vehicle seal. Yes, after a good soaking rain, I stand back a bit when opening the doors - never known which one of the 2 front doors is going to have the surprise ☺️ . On my Girl, I can even seen the pollen line of the water that was trapped. Never any water in the foot well area.
Hey I see you have a QR - I do too! Welcome to that club too :love: - we are a rare breed!! (Next to bottom of colour selection list for NA and I think Globally too ;))
Hey Stu or Krabby - any updated info on NA / Global colour selection numbers??
Cheers!

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great Video!!!

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I appear to have two things going on... First I noticed that I have holes cut along the bottom edge of the door gasket. Each door has two holes cut. Second, on this door it looks like the gasket is not lined up proper and is coming unglued.

Does anyone else have the holes in the gasket?

Attachments

• IMG_7465.jpeg
    IMG_7465.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I appear to have two things going on... First I noticed that I have holes cut along the bottom edge of the door gasket. Each door has two holes cut. Second, on this door it looks like the gasket is not lined up proper and is coming unglued.

Yep x2 ! I think we all have holes (semicircular cuts in the lower edge of the door gasket). Done at Factory - too uniform for my dealership mechanics to have done them. Suppose to "solve" the "Boot Wash" issue.
Seal Adhesive is a known "weakness" with the "G". Several have had dealer mechanics reseal/re-adhere. Some have done them selves. So much discussion with in the Forum. I think Nordic from TX may have the best success so far??
Look forward to others piping in and telling their stories/success.
Cheers!

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The holes are not anywhere close to the same position or size on each of the doors. I suspect if this solves the problem, I should look at the two doors that don't have the issue and see if those holes are in the same place on the doors that do have the problem...

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

The holes were a factory fix applied at the port, I believe

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The holes were a factory fix applied at the port, I believe
You are correct! Today I spent a bunch of time looking at the issue and discovered that the seals going around the door are not lined up. On the doors with the issue the seal is closer to the inward edge and the doors without the issue they are closer to the outside edge. The size of the holes cut out are different, but I don't think that is what is causing the problem.

I can't tell if there are any marks on the door itself where the seal should line up. Is this something they just eyeball at the factory or is there a guide on where the seal should line up?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
My local dealer has just ordered me 4 new door seals.
It won't take them very long to remove the existing seals.
I am assuming the new seals come with placement instructions, otherwise how would the garage know exactly where to stick them on?

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:20 AM
Reaction score
We all have a video like that in the exclusive but not small “Boot Wash Club” 😆

JSDKMS!

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We all have a video like that in the exclusive but not small “Boot Wash Club” 😆
I am also taking mine into the dealership to have the Boot Wash issue fixed. He has the parts as I guess, it is happening to a lot of the vehicles!

zvakanaka

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I too have the wet feet problem on the drivers door, passenger side is OK. Took a close look and agree it’s a bad design issue, the roof gutter diverts water past the rubber corner piece (single screw securing) and dumps the water right down the A pillar and into the door gap. Obviously it’s a door seal fit issue and I’ll head back to my dealer. No water ingress when driving however only when sitting in the rain or when car is washed.
80000 miles now and 10 months with no other issues, happy camper except for the annoying “days service overdue” warning, eeeerrrr! Oh and the clacking speed warning.

Back
Top Bottom