The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Protection from Rival

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:12 PM
Reaction score
On mine, the beam fit without the spacer, but it was tight and certainly not a perfect fit as others have noted, as the control arm bracket it mounts to is angled.

Aside from the beam fit issue, the product is well made. However, after some testing I heard knocks from the front after going over some bumps. I found that the front diff can hit the skid on compression. On inspection I can see where they hit. There isn’t that much space between the top of the diff and the skid plate. Has anyone experienced this? I’ll reach out to Rival.

IMG_0526.jpegIMG_0530.jpeg

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have not noticed this but I haven't been off pavement since I installed mine. Let us know what you learn.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:12 PM
Reaction score
I found that the front diff can hit the skid on compression. On inspection I can see where they hit. There isn’t that much space between the top of the diff and the skid plate. Has anyone experienced this? I’ll reach out to Rival.
I think mine is doing this as well - I installed the skid plate last weekend, and have only been on dirt/gravel roads (nothing off camber) and didn't notice anything, but then yesterday when going over some speed bumps I could feel/hear some knocking that was definitely not there prior to the skid plate being installed. I will be removing mine today hopefully and will let Rival know.

So far, I haven't been impressed with Rival. The packaging was nearly destroyed when it arrived at my house. The hardware bag was already ripped open on the top (it almost appeared to be a returned package that they just resent) - thankfully, I was only missing 1 washer. Anyhow, I was also not too pleased with the install - the instructions were terrible, and the center beam didn't fit without taking a grinder to it.

Having installed the OEM bull bar, rear table, Leitner rack and few other aftermarket accessories, I can say the skid plate install was not in the same league as everything else that I've put on the vehicle so far.

Local time
Reaction score
I think mine is doing this as well - I installed the skid plate last weekend, and have only been on dirt/gravel roads (nothing off camber) and didn't notice anything, but then yesterday when going over some speed bumps I could feel/hear some knocking that was definitely not there prior to the skid plate being installed. I will be removing mine today hopefully and will let Rival know.

So far, I haven't been impressed with Rival. The packaging was nearly destroyed when it arrived at my house. The hardware bag was already ripped open on the top (it almost appeared to be a returned package that they just resent) - thankfully, I was only missing 1 washer. Anyhow, I was also not too pleased with the install - the instructions were terrible, and the center beam didn't fit without taking a grinder to it.

Having installed the OEM bull bar, rear table, Leitner rack and few other aftermarket accessories, I can say the skid plate install was not in the same league as everything else that I've put on the vehicle so far.
same.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Same as above. Heard the clunk and felt it through the steering wheel going over a speed bump/hump this morning.

I took a look underneath and everything is torqued down. Banged on the transmission cover and no vibration.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rival is looking into it. Going over a speed bump a little fast would do it. Just need to get the front suspension to compress.

I wonder if it's simply a matter of creating a small cut-out there - a half circle of a couple of inches in radius.
Was thinking the same, just notch out the corner. Need to get the Grenadier on opposing ramps to flex it and see how much would need to be cut. But I'll wait for Rival to reply with their thoughts first.

I noticed that the drawing of the OE skid plate that @chrsbe posted a while back is narrower at the front, around just the width of the bracket it mounts to.

Local time
Reaction score
its a piece of plate intended to to be bashed. just add a little clearance with a sawzall.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Rival is looking into it. Going over a speed bump a little fast would do it. Just need to get the front suspension to compress.

Was thinking the same, just notch out the corner. Need to get the Grenadier on opposing ramps to flex it and see how much would need to be cut. But I'll wait for Rival to reply with their thoughts first.

I noticed that the drawing of the OE skid plate that @chrsbe posted a while back is narrower at the front, around just the width of the bracket it mounts to.
So I slid underneath again to check the area that TahoeGren and siseb posted pictures of. Sure enough, it looks like there is a slight scuff on the skid plate and a little clean spot on the top of the diff. It is odd that I only experienced it today.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
hmmm.... not in love with that. if your'e already talking to rival can you check if will they be proactive or if i need to ping them?

i have a speed bump outside my home. i can do a fast drive by and see what happens.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@parb When I heard and felt the clunk this morning, it was at maybe 5 mph in a supermarket parking lot. The bumps /humps were the short tall ones.

There was a series of three. I noticed the clunk on the first one. I hit the next two straight- on to confirm that something was loose. I am not sure if there was enough travel for the diff to make contact with the plate over the bumps but apparently there is a scuff on the plate and a clean area on the top of the rather dust covered diff now.

I also have Eibach 30mm springs.

Nadir5

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@parb When I heard and felt the clunk this morning, it was at maybe 5 mph in a supermarket parking lot. The bumps /humps were the short tall ones.

There was a series of three. I noticed the clunk on the first one. I hit the next two straight- on to confirm that something was loose. I am not sure if there was enough travel for the diff to make contact with the plate over the bumps but apparently there is a scuff on the plate and a clean area on the top of the rather dust covered diff now.

I also have Eibach 30mm springs.
Which steering stabilizer are you running? The factory one or a Fox variant? If the former, any chance that could've been the "clunk" going over the bump?

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's definitely the skid plate hitting the front diff - I just removed the plate and drove back over the speed bumps and the knock is no longer there. I also noticed a small spot/dent on the plate where it was making contact. Wondering if someone might rig-up a GoPro cam to capture a video of what's happening down below when going over a speed bump? It might help Rival in a developing a solution. My plate will be headed back to Rival soon. I'll wait until other options come to market.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thank you for checking. Considering cancelling my order for the transfer case plate.

Back
Top Bottom