The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Protection from Rival

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
Jig saw with a metal cutting blade?

It's there anything behind the plate in that area? eg can I cut it in place without removing?
If I was on the trail I'd butcher it in place, but, it's AL. It isn't like the one I made for my fj60 that weighs 125lbs and I use a motorcycle jack to remove. It's frighteningly stupefyingly light. Feel up behind it, mark it in place with a sharpie, and remove.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:39 PM
Reaction score
Rival informs me that replacement plates will be available in late November.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I can do the mod myself. Is the template downloadable? I have not contacted Rival.

A full replacement and keeping the original sounds bad for Rival.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
i emailed them and asked them to replace my under carriage protection for this issue. I'm not sure i love the idea of cutting up new skid plate -and i figured i could send it back and wait a bit.
They told me that they had put me on the list for a replacement and that they expect the replacement to be available in November (similar to what Bill above said). They said that they did not want my old skid plate back -probably useless to them.

I really commend them for their customer service. Prompt, reasonable and very responsive. I will go out of my way to buy more products from Rival -they deserve my business.

Last edited:

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have been in touch with Rival's Sales Team about this issue and they are acting with fantastic swiftness to address it. As noted above, they are delaying pending orders to allow for corrections to be made before shipment. Also, for those of you who have already ordered and received the uncorrected plate, if you are not inclined or lack the tools to do your own modifications like @grnamin (great job, by the way and thanks for the pics!), you can send sales-us@rival4x4.com an e-mail with your original Order Number information/invoice for the Engine Plate and request to be put on the list to receive a corrected plate for free, with free shipping, when they become available. Rival also told me that they do not need you to return the old plate. So, you can sell it as scrap metal or convert it to an interesting coffee table. Up to you.
It will make a wonderful center piece when we celebrate Festivus in December.

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I sent an email to Rival yesterday noting my order number and explanation of the rubbing issue. I asked if there was a fix available or template to use as a modification.

I still have yet to receive a response.

Nadir5

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I sent an email to Rival yesterday noting my order number and explanation of the rubbing issue. I asked if there was a fix available or template to use as a modification.

I contacted them through the website and they informed me that a template is pending from the factory and provided a photo of another customer’s trim job as reference if I wanted to proceed without waiting for the template.

I’m sure we’ll all be sorted out soon.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

Rival has been very responsive to my emails.

e_k_powell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
I agree they have been super classy to deal with. I'm in Houston and asked them if they have a shop they work with that can notch the corner on the plate vs. me trying to do it and it will look crappy. They recommended a shop and they are going to cover it. I'm just going remove it and go buy there and have the shop cut it and then put it back on. I have the TC skid and diff skids on order and they helped out with those some too. Hard to find company's that actually take ownership and put customer's first.

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
Rival sent a replacement crossbar, and when I emailed to thank them, I inquired about the modification template to the transmission skid plate. About 2 min later I got a response with the attached files. I'd say the official R&D for this fix appears to be @grnamin!

I wasn't expecting a response until Monday -- props to Rival -- any individual / company willing to respond to a customer late on a Saturday afternoon after hours is beyond ok in my book. Like or dislike the product, simply standing behind what you do goes a long way...

Cheers folks. Happy grinding.
~AB

ps. @Stu_Barnes should these make their way to the "resources" page or just leave them here?

Attachments

• RIVAL cutting templete.pdf
    4.8 KB · Views: 34
  • RIVAL Cutting templete_instructions.pdf
    209.5 KB · Views: 34

wolftimj

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Rival sent a replacement crossbar, and when I emailed to thank them, I inquired about the modification template to the transmission skid plate. About 2 min later I got a response with the attached files. I'd say the official R&D for this fix appears to be @grnamin!

I wasn't expecting a response until Monday -- props to Rival -- any individual / company willing to respond to a customer late on a Saturday afternoon after hours is beyond ok in my book. Like or dislike the product, simply standing behind what you do goes a long way...

Cheers folks. Happy grinding.
~AB

ps. @Stu_Barnes should these make their way to the "resources" page or just leave them here?
Looks exactly like grnamin’s fix. lol. They might owe you some royalties.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just notched mine this afternoon. My cut didn’t go as far in as Rival’s template. I basically measured about 1 inch around the spot where the diff hits and also angled the corner. Note that with the cut, the bracket will be wider than the skid, and it will show a bit.

Rival support has been great, and it’s awesome that they’re offering replacements. I liked my mod just fine and asked them to take me off the list.

IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom