The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Protection from Rival

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Hopefully the images provided are only rough images. The final product hopefully has recessed heads on the bolts or there will be challenges with removal if they are ever bashed on rocks. This has long been an issue amongst the Jeep crowd and why most of the higher priced skid plates now have recessed bolts. It also appears that folks will need to be removed if you do a "traditional" oil change.
Should have read that folks will likely need to remove the plate to do a "traditional" oil change. There does not appear to be an access point to the base of the oil pan.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score
Should have read that folks will likely need to remove the plate to do a "traditional" oil change. There does not appear to be an access point to the base of the oil pan.

Not sure what a "traditional" oil change is, but I believe there's an access port.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Modern servicing now entails the mechanic pumping oil out of the engine via the top up cap. Crawling underneath is for amateurs 😃

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Modern servicing now entails the mechanic pumping oil out of the engine via the top up cap. Crawling underneath is for amateurs 😃
...and enthusiasts with good mobility who don't mind getting dirty hands 😉

Rubicon Maybe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Amateurs??? What an arrogant statement!!! Attitudes like that has led to such things as no dip stick on the engine and eventually no serviceable components on a vehicle. So why did you buy a Grenadier? These were designed and built to allow for exploration and at least basic servicing.

If you get a flat tire, do you call a service or just get out and change it?

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Amateurs??? What an arrogant statement!!! Attitudes like that has led to such things as no dip stick on the engine and eventually no serviceable components on a vehicle. So why did you buy a Grenadier? These were designed and built to allow for exploration and at least basic servicing.

If you get a flat tire, do you call a service or just get out and change it?

The emoji they used hints at a bit of sarcasm and a joking attitude, just FYI.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
ahh, my apologies. I did not recognize the emoji and responded incorrectly. One of the challenges with being ignorant of all the emoji meanings.
Brits enjoy healthy sarcasm and subtext, certainly more than Americans!

(I added the exclamation at the end to denote a generalisation, so sorry, another subtext)

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Now I've got work to do. Thus far, they look great.

1717597791230.jpg

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Now I've got work to do. Thus far, they look great.

View attachment 7858918
NICE!

Please document the install and share your experiences here. I'm quite interested!

As an aside, is it safe to assume that square opening aligns with the oil drain plug?

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
NICE!

Please document the install and share your experiences here. I'm quite interested!

Will do - it looks pretty straight forward.

As an aside, is it safe to assume that square opening aligns with the oil drain plug?

That's my assumption.

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:42 PM
Reaction score
Nice. Hopefully they don't ratchet up the price for the next wave.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also received my set today. Both boxes were in pretty good shape damage wise, but one of the boxes was not secured very well (insufficient tape and staples) and was popped open slightly. I'll have to do an inventory to ensure nothing fell out. I also plan to do a little research on Grade 8 replacement screws as noted by Zimm above.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also received my set today. Both boxes were in pretty good shape damage wise, but one of the boxes was not secured very well (insufficient tape and staples) and was popped open slightly. I'll have to do an inventory to ensure nothing fell out. I also plan to do a little research on Grade 8 replacement screws as noted by Zimm above.

Had the same exact experience--one corner of mine was open a bit. Looks like the big bits are all accounted for but I didn't open up the hardware baggy to take a count.

FWIW, the open corner was on the box containing the longer skid for the engine/trans.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Had the same exact experience--one corner of mine was open a bit. Looks like the big bits are all accounted for but I didn't open up the hardware baggy to take a count.

FWIW, the open corner was on the box containing the longer skid for the engine/trans.
Yep, it was the same box for me. I notified Rival and they asked me to send pics of the box, which I will do tonight. I'm guessing some were not secured and buttoned up the way the should have been.

bbq4133

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, it was the same box for me. I notified Rival and they asked me to send pics of the box, which I will do tonight. I'm guessing some were not secured and buttoned up the way the should have been.

I also emailed them but did not receive a response. Glad they replied though, this seems like a pattern that should be avoided lol.

Loc Nar

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
After taking a look at the supplied hardware, it seems the bolts are Metric 8.8 quality, which I understand is about as strong as Inch Grade 5:

20240607_084109.jpg

20240607_084100.jpg

Thinking about replacing these with bolts in Metric Grade 10.9 (which I understand is equivalent to Inch Grade 8). After looking at the relatively large size of the supplied washers compared to cap head screws, I'm thinking of just going with the washer bolt approach. Anyone know what the other symbols mean on the bolts? Also, thoughts about whether to look into Zinc Yellow Chromate-Plated hardware to resist water corrosion?

Back
Top Bottom