The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Corrosion Protection

PanoramaJJ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Land Rover Defender (td5):
A good friend of mine allways takes "MIKE SANDERS". He likes it. Okay, in summer his car is droping, but he says "it´s a good sign - some of the soup is still in/at/under the car".
Toyota Land Cruiser (HZJ75):
Here in Germany I buy from a company that is called "Korrossionsschutzdepot" things like "Fluid Film" and "Ovatrol Oil". One time each year you find me lying under my car, and see me spraying one hundred bucks and more into the frame and under the chassis. I own the Toyota since 10 years, I don´t drive it in winter, it is almost twenty-eight years old.
My opinion: Take what ever you like - but do something, that is so much better than doing nothing... :giggle:

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:20 AM
Reaction score
I use both. Owatrol for metal and also for wood (garden benches).

But I am also very satisfied with Waxoyl. I had my Defender treated with it in England, at Chris in ex Newbury, now in Rugby, is an excellent address.
Have a look at before-n-after.co.uk.

Linseed oil for the garden tools.

In my experience Owatrol is better than linseed oil.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
I use both. Owatrol for metal and also for wood (garden benches).

But I am also very satisfied with Waxoil. I had my Defender treated with it in England, at Chris in ex Newbury, now in Rugby, is an excellent address.
Have a look at before-n-after.co.uk.

Linseed oil for the garden tools.

In my experience Owatrol is better than linseed oil.
'Owatrol' a very good anti-corrosion protective product; not to be confused with a Geordie (Newcastle) household's resident keyboard warrior.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised and a little disappointed.

Still... as long as the inside is done.

My car has been whacked with so much stuff. The outside is rusty but this is rarely a problem as it's easy to see and get to.

What about the doors and body frames?
I did see a journalist say it was a miss that they didn’t galvanise, but I have looked a bit into this KTL dipping process and it’s pretty impressive stuff, very hard and shock resistant and acid and alkaline resistant and very corrosion resistant. Internal surfaces wax flooded. I also would have liked to see galv, but this looks pretty impressive.

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like some sort of "stick on" WD40 type of material, I wonder if it is silicone based.
Read up on a product called Nyalic, available in the UK. It is used to paint alloy boats built on the Isle of Wight which operate on the Thames.
Used in the fertiliser industry coating JCB and other brand tractors against Ammonium Nitrate. It's clear, bonds to metal and paint and is an acrylic polymer.

Last edited:

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In Australia, it's well known treatment for under chassis protection (& just about everything else) we use INOX lanolin based protection after every off-road trip. A good high pressure wash & when dry tge Inox spray. We buy boxes of the stuff especially after beach trips. The Grenie supposed to have a 12 year warranty on the chassis, yet good practice to wash your toy anyway.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Read up on a product called Nyalic, available in the UK. It is used to paint alloy boats built on the Isle of Wight which operate on the Thames.
Used in the fertiliser industry coating JCB and other brand tractors against Ammonium Nitrate. It's clear, bonds to metal and paint and is an acrylic polymer.
Good stuff Tu Sugars!
It used be imported from the USA and sold in Australia under the "Nycote" brand. If memory serves me correctly....it was developed in the late 50s early 60s to protect the exotic metals in space used in the Apollo Lunar Lander. Some 20 yrs ago I sprayed the bonnet (hood), roof and boot (trunk) lid of my wife's car because the sun and atmospheric fallout had attacked the clear coat such that the burgundy coloured surfaces were also deteriorating quite rapidly. Two thin coats of Nycote brought it up like new and it lasted another 5 yrs with no obvious further deterioration when we sold the car.... I also dipped structural galvanised bolts in the stuff to improve their long term rust resistance against the acidic tannins in hardwood timber... seems to have worked there as well..
If I could find another supplier I'd buy a couple of litres in a flash! Properly stored it has an excellent shelf life.

Tu Sugars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good stuff Tu Sugars!
It used be imported from the USA and sold in Australia under the "Nycote" brand. If memory serves me correctly....it was developed in the late 50s early 60s to protect the exotic metals in space used in the Apollo Lunar Lander. Some 20 yrs ago I sprayed the bonnet (hood), roof and boot (trunk) lid of my wife's car because the sun and atmospheric fallout had attacked the clear coat such that the burgundy coloured surfaces were also deteriorating quite rapidly. Two thin coats of Nycote brought it up like new and it lasted another 5 yrs with no obvious further deterioration when we sold the car.... I also dipped structural galvanised bolts in the stuff to improve their long term rust resistance against the acidic tannins in hardwood timber... seems to have worked there as well..
If I could find another supplier I'd buy a couple of litres in a flash! Properly stored it has an excellent shelf life.
They have an office here... www.nyalic.com.au

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That Nyalic sounds like the business, i had never herd of it before. As my Grenadier will be spending a considerable mount of time on the coast in a marina, I’ll be looking into using this 👍🏼.

Local time
Reaction score
Thank you TU Sugars,
@Logsplitter I am the MD of the company (Ocean Footprint) that imports and supplies the Wight Shipyard with their Nyalic, I am very keen to work with you to use Nyalic on your project.
I have purchased a 1972 Discovery and plan to completely cover the whole vehicle in Nyalic.

Here is my business website: https://oceanfootprint.co.uk/

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know some of this was covered in a thread but could not find any reference to the company or the full case study.

ESS Engineering - Customer Success Story – INEOS Automotive - optimization of dipping-in, ecoating, dipping-out and floodwax processes.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know some of this was covered in a thread but could not find any reference to the company or the full case study.

ESS Engineering - Customer Success Story – INEOS Automotive - optimization of dipping-in, ecoating, dipping-out and floodwax processes.

Very interesting!

sne

Local time
Reaction score
Before getting my ex works state of the art protected VW T6.1 California model 2020 on the road I had a campaign using Mike Sanders Corrosion Protection Grease and Cavity Sealant all over the underbelly by a specialized service provider. It makes me feel good to maintain the value and to enjoy a vehicle without annoyance for a long time. The costs were about 1000€. Like the Grenadier, plans are still to bequeath this to my grandchildren (who are currently "work in progress").

Local time
Reaction score
I did see a journalist say it was a miss that they didn’t galvanise, but I have looked a bit into this KTL dipping process and it’s pretty impressive stuff, very hard and shock resistant and acid and alkaline resistant and very corrosion resistant. Internal surfaces wax flooded. I also would have liked to see galv, but this looks pretty impressive.
The problem is after the stones wear all the coatings off you do get a lot of rust when used in hard environments. It's surface rust but it's annoying. My car is in good shape. Cleaning all the sand out after the beach and lanotec before.

Was looking forward to being able to let my guard down a little with a galvanised chassis. Oh well.

Wofie.jpg

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
there's always Captain Tolleys Penetrating Creeping Crack Cream

Attachments

• IMG_9007.jpeg
    IMG_9007.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 7