The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Underbody Corrosion Protection

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
Fish oil, I had a 40 series LC from near new for 12 years, ( notorious rust bucket ) heavily fish oiled everywhere from purchase, lots of beach driving etc no rust when I sold it. I was a panel beater by trade, and repaired rust in lots of 40 series, and 55 series.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
Fish oil, I had a 40 series LC from near new for 12 years, ( notorious rust bucket ) heavily fish oiled everywhere from purchase, lots of beach driving etc no rust when I sold it. I was a panel beater by trade, and repaired rust in lots of 40 series, and 55 series.
were you like the pied piper of cats?

tnkatoy

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Electronic rust protection seems to have stopped rust in my current drive for the last 12 years, so I'll probably look at what's available today. We used to use liquid film a lot in the past, another of the selection of lanolin based products.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
I spray that stuff everywhere in old cars , especially inside doors (and the kidney bowl area in my old 911).

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
Local time
Reaction score
"This maybe useful" ...a masterful understatement! The article ought be a "must read" for all lifelong (automotive) learners! 😉(y)
Knock yourself out Denis

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
In the mid 1980s I worked on a very rusty Ferrari Dino so rusty in fact that the owner of high social standing sent a letter to Ferrari, and he got a reply from Enzo himself.
Enzo personally replied, and said that when you buy a Ferrari you buy a state of the art engine and driveline, state of the art engineering, and we throw the body in for free.
All cars besides Citroen's back then used to rust, drain holes used to block in doors and sills. Modern cars in Australia at least, (no salt on our roads) don't rust, in fact if you were a panel beater relying on rust work you would go broke very quickly. Modern cars have drain holes that work zinc coatings etc.
Like the Citroen the Ineos Grenadier is French, could be a good omen.

Hicarus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Galvanised. Like my 1978 Porsche.
Just don't strip/ scratch the galvanising. People don't always repair it properly.
Galv is to a certain extent self 'healing'. Small perforations, scratches and the like (eg drilled holes) have a local anodic effect that protects the exposed steel. Generally that limit is around 1.0mm but depends entirely on the thickness of the galv. Hot dip galv is thicker than electro-galv and will protect larger exposures. The electro stuff will almost certainly be that on the steel bodywork because of the potential distortion of the panels when hot dipped. Cheaper, too!
It's the powder coating on the chassis that concerns me. Any perforation will allow H2O attack on the exposed steel with creepage under the coating. As the coating ages, there is the potential for cracking at chassis stress points resulting in creeping corosion unless treated. The 'hot wax' treatment may delay this for a year or so, but will, I reckon, need maintenance.

Local time
Reaction score
A thorough cleaning a few times per year might be the best thing you can do. Check out how this guy cleans his truck, and how it has kept rust off his 14-year old Dodge. He is a bit obsessive with the cleaning, but it still serves as a lesson. Its actually sort of humbling...

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A thorough cleaning a few times per year might be the best thing you can do. Check out how this guy cleans his truck, and how it has kept rust off his 14-year old Dodge. He is a bit obsessive with the cleaning, but it still serves as a lesson. Its actually sort of humbling...

will watch it further but his view of a dirty truck and mine appear to differ wildly (I'm 1min in), the thing looks like it's driven 5 miles on tarmac and a few puddles not a couple of months.

guess he's coming from a better platform than mine however

Local time
Reaction score
will watch it further but his view of a dirty truck and mine appear to differ wildly (I'm 1min in), the thing looks like it's driven 5 miles on tarmac and a few puddles not a couple of months.

guess he's coming from a better platform than mine however
I think he gets off-road as well :)

P.S. I've driven this same route, camped in the same spots, and ridden those trails. God's country. From a recent mountain biking trip to Utah - my better half resting after a long day on the bikes:
camping.jpg

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
that is some clean dirt right there. the guy would be going nuts by the end of my lane. hats off to him though

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score

If you can keep rust off a Dodge/Ram truck from the dealer lot to home you're already successful! I've never met another brand of truck you can actually hear rusting if you listen closely. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom