The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Third party rims

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Evo Corse makes a nice and light wheel. They make wheels that fit the Grenadier in a +45 offset, 8" wide.

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
Did you end up using the Method wheels? Any issues?

@coloradosnow mounted a set of 706s - also 50 offset - and apparently had issues.
Delivery, with the DP World cyber security issue, my “November” delivery turned up Last week at the dealer and I am away so will be fitting them with 285/70s in the second or third week in January when I get back from this road trip.

I’ll update this thread with photos when the wheels are on the vehicle.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score

DCatt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:40 AM
Reaction score
Those look really nice, like ghosted or cloud silver. I also like that they are 8" wide vs the 7.5" for most of the stock rims. I think this rim with the KO2's would look great on my Shale Blue Grenadier when it arrives in April. DaBull
Very happy with the result. Agree the Gloss Anthracite would be perfect on Shale Blue.,

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you end up using the Method wheels? Any issues?

@coloradosnow mounted a set of 706s - also 50 offset - and apparently had issues.

I promised to post the pictures.

Have about 300kms with the 701s with Yokohama GO16 LT285/70R17s, went on a country run on Saturday. Less road noise, no discernible loss of power with the change in size, speedo shows 2 maybe 3km change at nominal 100kms at 98-99 GPS measured,.

No towing as yet with the new wheels.

No issues with the wheels clearance ok (although we'll do full range testing and measurement in Feb, when the engineer I am working with has some time). I do have the lift coils and that provided a 50mm lift on my fully optioned Trialmaster. So that immediately gives more clearance on some aspects.

We weighed it at 3420kg with fuel, fridge, roof rack, luggage etc on our last trip when we left the caravan and to onboard all our stuff, but Jerry cans x 2 not full). Haven't checked the new tyres/wheels for exact weight yet - but within 1kg of the same (lighter rims, heavier tyres).

And while I ordered 6 only 5 rims received so that's the KO2 spare on the back in the photo for the discerning, the GO16 spare is on the roof.
And this vehicle is loaded with the other set of tyres too so that's nearly 200kg of land right there.

IMG_2959 Medium.jpegIMG_2961 Medium.jpeg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score

Have about 300kms with the 701s with Yokohama GO16 LT285/70R17s, went on a country run on Saturday. Less road noise, no discernible loss of power with the change in size, speedo shows 2 maybe 3km change at nominal 100kms at 98-99 GPS measured,.

No issues with the wheels clearance ok (although we'll do full range testing and measurement in Feb, when the engineer I am working with has some time). I do have the lift coils and that provided a 50mm lift on my fully optioned Trialmaster. So that immediately gives more clearance on some aspects.

We weighed it at 3420kg with fuel, fridge, roof rack, luggage etc on our last trip when we left the caravan and to onboard all our stuff, but Jerry cans x 2 not full). Haven't checked the new tyres/wheels for exact weight yet - but within 1kg of the same (lighter rims, heavier tyres).

And while I ordered 6 only 5 rims received so that's the KO2 spare on the back in the photo for the discerning, the GO16 spare is on the roof.
And this vehicle is loaded with the other set of tyres too so that's nearly 200kg of land right there.

View attachment 7839905View attachment 7839906
Whats fuel usage like with the 285s loaded ? Interested as I'm considering heading that way

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Whats fuel usage like with the 285s loaded ? Interested as I'm considering heading that way
Not enough kms to tell I treat the averages and stats in the dash with a little skepticism.

We are at home for s few weeks. But I’ll capture it towing in a couple of weekends.

I’ll have to factor in the change on Odometer with the size change too.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
Not enough kms to tell I treat the averages and stats in the dash with a little skepticism.

We are at home for s few weeks. But I’ll capture it towing in a couple of weekends.

I’ll have to factor in the change on Odometer with the size change too.
Shouldn't it be truer than from factory? I know that I found its out by 4klms/h, but from what you have observed maybe not?

DCatt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7839905View attachment 7839906
Looks great. Look forward to seeing it around. I think we live in the same area (I saw your classifieds post) and I think your car may have been the first customer Grenadier I saw in the wild parked near Paddo Central in July last year

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great. Look forward to seeing it around. I think we live in the same area (I saw your classifieds post) and I think your car may have been the first customer Grenadier I saw in the wild parked near Paddo Central in July last year
Are you going to the inaugural SE QLD Grenadier Owners (Facebook group) meetup on Sunday morning?

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rims have finally arrived. What should have been 4-6 weeks is just on 5 months, but they are here and dam they look good, in the box. The delays were definitely frustrating, but Simon from https://overlanders.au/ was a really nice bloke and absolutely brilliant to deal with.

I am unable to put them on the car as my tyres I want have not arrived yet. They're expected next week. Apparently there is a bit of run on them and stock is low. So I was told from bob jane, but, you know, tyre places... They have had to get the 5 tyres from 3 different states..

I only ordered 4 rims initially as I was not sure of the spare fitting properly, but I have now tried 1 on the rear and it does fit, so have ordered the 5th.

The spare wheel box also fits. The box is a tiny bit tighter on the fit with the foam having to compress a bit more, but nothing of concern. The plate on the inside the box attaches to I think is on the hub face rather than over it. Again, not a big deal that I can see.

I do still need to see how it goes with the tyres on, but it looks like it should be fine and Im keen as mustard for the bigger wheels.

Wheels and tyres are
Evo Course DakarZero 17x8s et45p
Yokohama Geolander X-AT G016, 285/75r17 (34s) load 1400kg

Attachments

• 20240118_121301.jpg
    20240118_121301.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 20240118_121600.jpg
    20240118_121600.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
  • 20240118_121118.jpg
    20240118_121118.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • 20240118_121523.jpg
    20240118_121523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • 20240118_172737.jpg
    20240118_172737.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

DCatt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rims have finally arrived. What should have 4-6 weeks is just on 5 months, but they are here and dam they look good, in the box. The dealys were definitely frustrating, but Simon from https://overlanders.au/ was a really nice bloke and absolutely brilliant to deal with.

I am unable to put them on the car as my tyres I want have not arrived yet. They're expected next week. Apparently there is a bit of run on them and stock is low. So I was told from bob jane, but, you know, tyre places... They have had to get the 5 tyres from 3 different states..

I only ordered 4 rims initially as I was not sure of the spare fitting properly, but I have now tried 1 on the rear and it does fit, so have ordered the 5th.

The spare wheel box also fits. The box is a tiny bit tighter on the fit with the foam having to compress a bit more, but nothing of concern. The plate on the inside the box attaches to I think is on the hub face rather than over it. Again, not a big deal that I can see.

I do still need to see how it goes with the tyres on, but it looks like it should be fine and Im keen as mustard for the bigger wheels.

Wheels and tyres are
Evo Course DakarZero 17x8s et45p
Yokohama Geolander X-AT G016, 285/75r17 (34s) load 1400kg
Glad they arrived. Look forward to seeing them on. Great that the spare fits as well.

DCatt

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone found these in the UK? These look mega, wonder if they will suit my Green TM…
Couple of companies over there selling them that I know of.

K1LL3M

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone found these in the UK? These look mega, wonder if they will suit my Green TM…
Evo course is in Italy. Fully made there. You can see their wheels represented in the Dakar. 6 of the top cars running them, 10 of the top 20

Google their web page and send them an email. They are the ones who put me onto the Australian distributor

Edit: they are slow to respond though, I think it took me a week or 2 to get a response. Be patient

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
Question for those with method wheels who have one as a spare - since the tire on the rear is reversed, will the factory lugnuts work?

douggie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Question for those with method wheels who have one as a spare - since the tire on the rear is reversed, will the factory lugnuts work?
Yes, funny you should ask… the factory lug nut for OEM wheel actually tightens on a washer over the plate that holds the rear cover and doesn’t touch the wheel material at all. BUT…

Method supply 27 of their spline nuts when you buy a set of 5 wheels so you have 3 spare nuts to use as well.

And thinking about it, the Method nut provides a sleeve with protection between the rim hole and the bolt and the dilemma is the nut won’t fit through the washer and is a very tight fit through the plate which needs a bit of a cleanup to its edges or risks damaging that nice sleeve. Sleeve is 15.0mm, washer is 14.5mm and bent by lug nut tightening.

IMG_3042.jpeg

Do I fit just the method nuts with no washes or source new washers and will the washers allow enough of the sleeve to support the rim edges so it doesn’t wear on the bolts?

So my spare is on the roof at the moment.

image.jpg

Regds Doug

Back
Top Bottom