The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

T-Case Leak and Potential Transmission Leak?

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
Looks like I’m now part of the leaky seal club. 1. Assuming front shaft seal at the transfer case, 2.) at the engine and transmission gasket? Noticed the spots appearing on my driveway. Never was fortunate enough to own a LR, but I’m certain this is how it feels :p I have the call into RDS and sent them photos to see what their thoughts are. 4.5hr drive to the dealer for me. I’ll keep this updated as I know more.

Edit to note: ODO is currently at approx. 11,000 miles.

IMG_3938.jpeg

IMG_3935.jpeg
IMG_3937.jpeg

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting... a 2 for 1 special!

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So an update already - RDS was able to fit me in last minute for tomorrow. They think the t-case front seal is the issue (as noted elsewhere on the forum + mentioning they've already done this repair previously on another vehicle, maybe @Catpaw4x4 ? ) and think they can replace + complete my 12k service all in one shot (5-6 hours). For the transmission leak - they told me their initial thought (and hope) is that this is most likely coming from the engine oil filter, which apparently sits above that area. I feel so stupid when it comes to these issues, as I'm just a layman when it comes to the mechanics of a vehicle. I truly wish I had more time to devote to learning it - but for now, I'm just grateful for the time I get to spend with my wife and 1 year old son.

Anyhow, it's awesome that RDS agreed to this getting me in on such short notice, as we're planning on making a trip to see my parents at our family cabin this weekend + I'd really really like to get some dirt therapy in with the G, if possible too.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
Is this a warranty case or are you to pay for the costs?

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is this a warranty case or are you to pay for the costs?
Definitely a warranty case - faulty seal (if thats indeed what this turns out to be!). I haven't done anything aftermarket to the vehicle drivetrain or otherwise (only minor items added so far: OEM Roo Bar, Leitner Rack, KC Light Bar, Wolfbox mirror, 270 awning, redarc trailer brake kit).

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So an update already - RDS was able to fit me in last minute for tomorrow. They think the t-case front seal is the issue (as noted elsewhere on the forum + mentioning they've already done this repair previously on another vehicle, maybe @Catpaw4x4 ? ) and think they can replace + complete my 12k service all in one shot (5-6 hours). For the transmission leak - they told me their initial thought (and hope) is that this is most likely coming from the engine oil filter, which apparently sits above that area. I feel so stupid when it comes to these issues, as I'm just a layman when it comes to the mechanics of a vehicle. I truly wish I had more time to devote to learning it - but for now, I'm just grateful for the time I get to spend with my wife and 1 year old son.

Anyhow, it's awesome that RDS agreed to this getting me in on such short notice, as we're planning on making a trip to see my parents at our family cabin this weekend + I'd really really like to get some dirt therapy in with the G, if possible too.
Hi GrenADV - RDS replaced my front seal week before last as I just picked her up on the 26th. I believe they have done several. Don't feel stupid - I'm learning with everything I'm reading on the Forum! I highly suggest finding an independent local mechanic (local is "relative" as mine is 70 miles away) that does my oil changes, other fluids etc. They know BMW engines and 4x4 vehicles. They do a great "eyes on" check of things under the hood and under the vehicle and they found the leaky transfer case. So credit to where credit is due!

So for me, RDS is a 5hr drive and an Amtrak ride back home / back to RDS (and a Local SEPTA train to get west of Philly) - I also had a laundry list of warranty items to get done. They are soon to finish the refurb of their Devon site by say mid Sept / early Oct. For work on a transfer case, I think they are you "closest" experienced dealership.

Moving further down the road of Time/mileage and additional servicing, MilesOne has hoped a dealership in Silver Spring, MD - just at/over the VA/MD line on northeastern 495. The Dealership is open and they are in the final steps of getting the workshop open. Met the General Manager on my way back home last week. I'm <3k out from the 12k service - will probably do the service at my local independent and then plan on driving up for them to reset the computer and deal with any other warranty stuff (like the now non-function rear door strut - when I open the door and on a slight incline, there is no stopping it!) all at the same time. I-95 north of Baltimore is becoming more like a battle ground!!
Cheers and all the best!

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Catpaw4x4 ! Great recommendation on the local mechanic and totally agreed on the forum. I've been looking into the local mechanic for some time, but I'm overly cautious (especially around the area I currently live + I'm hopeful we can move back to the DC metro area soon) - so, it's been a challenge finding someone I would trust. Unfortunately, I used to live about 15 minutes door to door from where they're opening the MileOne Ineos, and my in-laws currently live about 30 mins from there - so, I'll likely use them once they're up to speed, as we're in that area at least 1 weekend each month).

By the way, I'm thoroughly impressed by your adventurous trips to and from RDS! I probably would've begged for a loaner vehicle rather than take all of the public transportation - good on you!

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...RDS told me they will pick up vehicles up to 100mi away and provide loaners? This is for both warranty work and scheduled service.

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As an update - RDS replaced the the front output shaft seal and flange on the transfer case - after driving another almost 750 miles it appears to be fixed! RDS also took care of my 12k mile service during this visit (totaled around $750 - oil + filter change, new wiper blades, diff fluids replaced, tire rotation, HVAC filter change), as well as a few other issues - the door lock switch on the inside of the drivers door was broken (grateful that they replaced the part from a stock grenadier, as they didn't have a replacement part in stock) and also had them try to remove the NATO socket cover (no success here - I might try to get MileOne to replace the NATO socket on my grenadier under warranty, because it's impossible to remove the cover). Also, lastly, the oil leak on the starter/transmission block - it was confirmed that the oil was residual leak from the previous oil change (around 6,000 miles) and just ran down to that area - so good news is that the seal was not leaking there!

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...RDS told me they will pick up vehicles up to 100mi away and provide loaners? This is for both warranty work and scheduled service.
Yes, this is correct, however I'm over 250 miles away in WV. I'd assume Richmond is about the same.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks @Catpaw4x4 ! Great recommendation on the local mechanic and totally agreed on the forum. I've been looking into the local mechanic for some time, but I'm overly cautious (especially around the area I currently live + I'm hopeful we can move back to the DC metro area soon) - so, it's been a challenge finding someone I would trust. Unfortunately, I used to live about 15 minutes door to door from where they're opening the MileOne Ineos, and my in-laws currently live about 30 mins from there - so, I'll likely use them once they're up to speed, as we're in that area at least 1 weekend each month).

By the way, I'm thoroughly impressed by your adventurous trips to and from RDS! I probably would've begged for a loaner vehicle rather than take all of the public transportation - good on you!
My pleasure to be of help! So many have helped me. Right to be overly cautious and I 100% agree - I feel incredibly fortunate to have Sarek in Richmond. My 96 Discovery still runs today because of the independent family owned shop that picked up service/repairs when she passed 100k miles and warranty ended (she is now at 280k and still traveling!)
That MilesOne location is gobsmacking :oops:!! I have never seen so many dealerships and so many cars all in one "little" space and yes in the midst of an otherwise residential area! 15 minutes may set the record for the "closest distance" to a dealership 🤣! I think IslandFalcon (?) has the honour of the furthest distance :). Maybe there should be a poll for that (Stu? ) ... <25 miles; 25-50 miles; 51-100 miles; 101-150 miles etc. RDS is just over 250 miles. MilesOne is 130 miles - easy peasy drive 😂!
I asked RDS about a loaner - not an option. I think it is more likely left to the individual dealer (as I know some owners have had loaners and they are >100 miles) - did you purchase from them, probability of repeat customer, etc. I asked ... but wasn't expecting it. Having an Amtrak station in town ( and an Uber ride <10 minutes to home) and a second vehicle at home really made the "adventure" no brainer! I love traveling in Europe and the UK by train!! My Aunt and Uncle have done numerous trips by Amtrak. Uncle's comment is "it is traveling thru America's backyard". Being familiar with "front" roads of the trek it really was eyeopening seeing the backside and how much open farm land you never see. Thank you 😌. What is Life without some Adventure!!
Cheers!!
PS - look forward to seeing you around the "Neighborhood" 😉 (do you know about

Ineos Grenadiers of DC, Maryland & Virginia (DMV) - check it out in the Social Group!

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos Grenadiers of DC, Maryland & Virginia (DMV) - check it out in the Social Group!
Yep! Although I stupidly haven't been watching it! Unfortunately, the meet-ups are on days that I'm typically not in town, and with a 1 year old, everything needs to be convenient in order for me to do it :p I also didn't catch that you all had a met-up in VA - I can't wait to be able to join for future meet-ups!

Also, good to know on RDS not providing a loaner! Very interesting. Amtrak from Philly or NYC to BWI/DC area isn't bad at all - I've done it several times for work (and even was scolded once in the quiet car for taking a call - total accident on my part - oops!).

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Alight, a bit of unfortunate news. I have spotted a new leak. This time it looks like it’s the rear shaft seal where it meets the rear diff. I’ve already messaged RDS about it, but since I just made the 9hr drive just over a week ago, I’m not sure when I’ll get the time to do it again.

IMG_3951.jpeg

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
I never mix 'repairs' with service. Repairs are free and service should be 2-3 hrs MAX of your money.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Alight, a bit of unfortunate news. I have spotted a new leak. This time it looks like it’s the rear shaft seal where it meets the rear diff. I’ve already messaged RDS about it, but since I just made the 9hr drive just over a week ago, I’m not sure when I’ll get the time to do it again.

View attachment 7869765
Full disclosure - I am not a mechanic. But I am desiring to learn.
Oh no🫣! So when Sarek first noticed the front seal leak and we had no concept of how long it had been leaking, we drained the TC and measured what there was. Replaced fluid and then 2 months later repeated so get rough idea of how fast was the "G" loosing fluid - surprisingly little. While I scooted under her yesterday, I was looking more at the front seal that had recently been replaced and not the rear. Is this a rear TC seal leak? Or a differential seal leak? I'm thinking the fluid is flowing rearward (direction of airfow) and the shinny nuts just barely seen is the TC rear seal.

Thank you!
Cheers!

GrenADV

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Full disclosure - I am not a mechanic. But I am desiring to learn.
Oh no🫣! So when Sarek first noticed the front seal leak and we had no concept of how long it had been leaking, we drained the TC and measured what there was. Replaced fluid and then 2 months later repeated so get rough idea of how fast was the "G" loosing fluid - surprisingly little. While I scooted under her yesterday, I was looking more at the front seal that had recently been replaced and not the rear. Is this a rear TC seal leak? Or a differential seal leak? I'm thinking the fluid is flowing rearward (direction of airfow) and the shinny nuts just barely seen is the TC rear seal.

Thank you!
Cheers!
You're correct. The photo is looking towards the rear of the vehicle (the shiny bolt heads are indeed the rear-end of the shaft coming out of the TC and to the front of the rear differential). The seal which is leaking is technically on the front side of the rear differential.

I'm also wondering, since RDS did the diff fluid change as part of the 12k mile service - could this be related? Meaning, could they have overfilled the differential and the oil is now pushing out as it expands with heat? I know very little about this stuff, so I'm just hypothesizing as an ignorant dummy.

Robert T

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:49 PM
Reaction score
had them try to remove the NATO socket cover (no success here - I might try to get MileOne to replace the NATO socket on my grenadier under warranty, because it's impossible to remove the cover)
I had the same problem removing the NATO plug cover. Elliott Bay ordered a replacement under warranty (took a couple months to get). Unfortunately, it's not just a simple job of undoing a few bolts and putting in a new NATO plug. The Nato plug comes with about 6' of wiring harness that is sealed at the NATO plug end so you can't just swap out the plugs. They need to replace the attached wiring harness and in my case one of the connectors did not fit so they are waiting for the correct part. They will need access to the passenger side wheel arch cover, which is not a big issues unless you have a drawer system installed. I guess you want to ask them to be sure they order the correct NATO plug replacement because apparently there are at least a couple versions.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm also wondering, since RDS did the diff fluid change as part of the 12k mile service - could this be related? Meaning, could they have overfilled the differential and the oil is now pushing out as it expands with heat? I know very little about this stuff, so I'm just hypothesizing as an ignorant dummy.
Diffs can't really be overfilled as the fill hole acts as the indicator for full in most cases

Northumbrian Ineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
Looks like I’m now part of the leaky seal club. 1. Assuming front shaft seal at the transfer case, 2.) at the engine and transmission gasket? Noticed the spots appearing on my driveway. Never was fortunate enough to own a LR, but I’m certain this is how it feels :p I have the call into RDS and sent them photos to see what their thoughts are. 4.5hr drive to the dealer for me. I’ll keep this updated as I know more.

Edit to note: ODO is currently at approx. 11,000 miles.

View attachment 7868460

View attachment 7868459
View attachment 7868458
Million percent that’s what it’s like to own a landrover 😂 I think this sort of s*** is our payback for driving “character cars” 🙈

Back
Top Bottom