The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

B58 engine oil leak (rear main seal)

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:51 PM
Reaction score
The check engine light I was told was due to the computer glitch as it has to convert from liters to gallons. The system flash will fix this when it comes at the end of August. The dealer cleaned the oil around the starter and told me to drive it another week so they can pinpoint where it's coming from. It looks to be a rear main seal weep. We'll see. The problem is no parts availability.
Thank you for the updates, IMO, I doubt if it is actually the rear main seal, as in my case, I was told the same thing and waited for weeks for replacement parts, and then was told it wasn’t the rear main seal and it was from some sort of lubricant being melted after engine got hot.

So the theory is that you will only see this oil drop if the engine is hot, hence if you clean the oil drop near the starter after the engine has cooled down and leave your vehicle overnight, you shouldn’t see it next morning. but it may show up again after you drive the vehicle for a while.

ErnieB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Thank you for the updates, IMO, I doubt if it is actually the rear main seal, as in my case, I was told the same thing and waited for weeks for replacement parts, and then was told it wasn’t the rear main seal and it was from some sort of lubricant being melted after engine got hot.

So the theory is that you will only see this oil drop if the engine is hot, hence if you clean the oil drop near the starter after the engine has cooled down and leave your vehicle overnight, you shouldn’t see it next morning. but it may show up again after you drive the vehicle for a while.
Thanks for the insight. The dealer cleaned it and told me to drive it for a week. In all honestly, I've been so busy I haven't had the time to crawl under to see if the leak is still there. Dealer called this morning to check on it. I'll look at it some time today.

Back
Top Bottom