The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering wheel free-play on center

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the steering wheel on center free-play seems to be increasing a bit as things break in. Curious if others have noticed the same as the dead spot before you feel any resistance in the steering while turning it slightly left or right off center seems to be growing (about a half inch of free movement either side of center for about an inch or so overall measuring front top center strip of the steering wheel. It certainly didn’t feel this way when I picked the vehicle up new. That said, I’ve only got about 320 miles on it now and worried this is too much free-play to have so soon.

I’m also curious if there is a provision for adjusting the steering box free-play for down the road? I’ve had old Land Rovers and there was usually an adjuster w/lock nut on the top of the steering box for fine tune adjustments as things wear.

Quartermaster

Quatermaster Owner
Local time
1:23 AM
Reaction score
Like the older G-Wagons. Indeed it would be interesting, if it is that easy with the Grenadier as well.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:23 PM
Reaction score
If anything I think mine decreased with mileage if ever so slightly, but then again, my drive home from the dealer was >900 miles.

With that being said, I've always just considered the free play to be a byproduct of a steering box, and never given it a second thought or felt that it was excessive

Back
Top Bottom