The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Schoeniman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Here we go Grenadier fanboys...

here now my update and my first impressions....
We picked up VIN 0738 today with our vanity plate and took her for a first ride to the "semi-wild" area of "Grosser Ahornboden" south of Bad Toelz where we live.

- Overall quality of the car: Top
- Driving noise: super quiet given the BFG tires, which were waaaaaaay louder on our old Wrangler
- Steering: different, cause you need to work on the wheel in all directions. Very stable and solid feeling though and I think the the new "steering" is already stored in our muscle memory after only 200km today
- All doors are very tight, due to the new double rubber seals. This will for sure get better over time, but requires a solid slam to close the door....which then on the other hand sound really great
- Engine: a dream, super smooth and very strong at idle RPM. A real pleasure to drive
- GearBox:always the right gear without noticing the changes!!!
- Safari Windows: we're so happy to have them. Nice climate already even without Aircon
- Aux Battery Box: really large and will easily hold a Bulltron LiFePO4 Polar and a Victron Smart Booster, which IÄll install next week
- FrontRunner Roof Rack, iKamper Skycamp 3 and Quick Pitch 270 Weathershade will be installed together with the home build drawer system and then we're on the road for 2 months around Italy next week
More pics to come with all the extras as soon as we're on the road.
Here are the first shots from today...
Remember: no picture means....it didn't happen. (Strava analogy for the cyclists)
Regards
Michael
P.S.: if you have any questions, please don‘t hesitate to ask…

Attachments

• 20230504-L1002379-Pano-8.jpg
    20230504-L1002379-Pano-8.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20230504-L1002385-Pano-Bearbeitet-8.jpg
    20230504-L1002385-Pano-Bearbeitet-8.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

@nd

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score
First drive impressions was, noisy, cramped, sluggish, vague steering, suspension atrocious, tyre noise and i got wet in the rain and yet i still bought the TD5 90.
The Greny on the other hand was quiet ,spacious bloody quick of overtaking, suspention smoothed out the road and very little tyre noise. Off road i can't say yet only had it a couple of hours.
Fuel economy, if i was worried about it i'de have bought a Toyota Yaris
The steering does need to be worked at slow speeds but is very good at medium to high speed
Pulling away from stationary there seems a little lag up to 5/10mph but that is more me getting to know the car .
The door seals are very good and doors have to be propped slammed .
All in all having never made it to a test drive i am very impressed, now comes the fun of personalising it.
Glad i go sick of waiting (y) (y)

Khalfan323

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
Do all the owners have issues with the bings and bongs with the error messages on the screen? What about the transmission vibration?

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Do all the owners have issues with the bings and bongs with the error messages on the screen? What about the transmission vibration?
You get a few random wand sounds but after a few days you twig what they’re trying to alert you too. I get getting one at 70mph but I’d forgotten that I’d set the speed alert.. d-oh..

I’ve not come across the vibration that’s been reported.
My Gren let’s you set favourites for the dab radio then flatly refuses to allow you select them once you have..!

The other thing I’ve noticed is that the cooling fan kicks in for no apparent reason and it’s very loud..

That said, it does take some getting used too ..

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

We picked up VIN 0738 today with our vanity plate and took her for a first ride to the "semi-wild" area of "Grosser Ahornboden" south of Bad Toelz where we live.

- Driving noise: super quiet given the BFG tires, which were waaaaaaay louder on our old Wrangler
- Steering: different, cause you need to work on the wheel in all directions. Very stable and solid feeling though and I think the the new "steering" is already stored in our muscle memory after only 200km today
- All doors are very tight, due to the new double rubber seals. This will for sure get better over time, but requires a solid slam to close the door....which then on the other hand sound really great
- Engine: a dream, super smooth and very strong at idle RPM. A real pleasure to drive
- Safari Windows: we're so happy to have them. Nice climate already even without Aircon
- Aux Battery Box: really large and will easily hold a Bulltron LiFePO4 Polar and a Victron Smart Booster, which IÄll install next week
- FrontRunner Roof Rack, iKamper Skycamp 3 and Quick Pitch 270 Weathershade will be installed together with the home build drawer system and then we're on the road for 2 months around Italy next week
Remember: no picture means....it didn't happen. (Strava analogy for the cyclists)
Regards
Michael
Great photos and good to hear positive comments.
Got an I Kamper set up as well although on the trailer.
Will probably be getting the Frontrunner rack for the car given the “already purchaser” Rhino wont be around till July.
Enjoy Italy, where are you going?
Paul

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Let’s go, my first impressions …
First: my car is a Trialmaster, Petrol, winch, Sela Green, sun roofs, tinted windows,
Second: I drove home without taking the motorway, 1 hour ride instead of 30 minutes. I drove 40 km.
Third: my gasoline tank was “empty”, 0 km left. I told the adjunct of the dealer that I would drive home without refueling. He told me not to do it, “worried”. I didn’t. Tomorrow gasoline prices go down by 5 ct/l. My wife told me (when I told her at home): “are you crazy, you buy a super expensive car and you take a risk for some peanut euro’s?”. I wasn’t worried. :)

Fourth, how was I treated?
  • The adjunct of the boss, @Rob Ceulemans , also a forum member (although not active), took his time for me. Very nice guy by the way. (y)
  • He also asked me if I had my LED “chinese beamer” in Deutsch connectors with me, and I had, to test my car and perhaps another car. Funny, don’t they have the possibility to test these connectors? :unsure::unsure:
  • I got a coffee
  • And a present … see the gift section :love:
  • Two years free “Touring Assistance” (assistance in case of breakdown), but the conditions were not provided, only the telephone numbers! (y)
  • My “legal” numberplate was mounted and also my front numberplate. I didn’t know they were providing it themselves, I had already bought one (30 €)! (y) - anyway, they should have told me!

Fifth, findings:
  • Last visit about two weeks ago: 38 km on the odometer, today 41!
  • The outside roof connector at the front right, the one rated 25 amp, that should get power with the EXT2 button, gets power with the INT1 button: WRONG WIRING? :mad:
  • @Rob Ceulemans tested this on another car with higher VIN number: this car was OK! (y)
  • The dummy plugs of the Deutsch connectors are really dummies! No metal pins inside! :rolleyes:
  • @Rob Ceulemans saw that the left windscreen washer was completely loose. He pushed it inside it’s hole, but it’s clear that I will have to watch that! :mad:
  • My left mirror cannot (at first sight) be positioned well enough in the blind spot (I like to do that in our right-handed driving country” (I have still to check that on motorways) :(
  • The altimeter at home was indicating “-7 m” while we live at about +7m above sea level. Due to weather conditions? To check! I don’t know the principle of the altimeter. :unsure:
  • I only noticed it at home, but there is indeed quite some rust on the wheel axles! :mad:
  • The “bigger back door” compartment was indeed bended outward because of too much stuff inside. :( I removed the packaging of the emergency kit, and did put it back in the compartment and it was much better.
  • I have two emergency triangles, one under the passenger seat, and another one in the back door compartment! Is this a legal requirement? :unsure:
  • Also two life vests (yellow jackets)
  • The clock of the computer was set at GMT+0 while we live in GMT+2. :(
  • The maintenance interval is set at 15000 km in my car! :unsure:
  • I had an average consumption of 14.1 l/100 km Petrol while driving home in a mixture of countryside roads (70 km/h) and city (50 km/h and 30 km/h), for a 40 km drive.
  • Copy-paste from @Arkaig: “12v & usb outlets IN CENTRAL BOX (my addition) – locations designed by an idiot, certainly lacking everyday practicality – in need of additional outlets either above or below front dash” 🤮
  • The USB connectors are slightly “horizontally” tilted, once you know it, it makes connection easier, but still difficult, as you cannot see them very well in the storage box. :(
  • Also “copy-paste”: Android auto IS NOT wireless and ONLY works through the USB-C port!
  • Connection with my Android phone was quite straightforward, but at first didn’t work; Rob restarted the car, and then the phone was recognized. :rolleyes:
  • Waze and Google maps worked, although the layout is quite different, and the speed driven and maximum speed (in Waze) are on the far edge of the screen, annoying. :(
  • There is a difference of about +3 or +4 km/h between the odometer and the GPS signal (Waze).
  • “Here WeGo” (other navigation program) didn’t appear on my car console! :(
  • Driving: I am not used to automatic gear, therefore I once tried to disengage and did put my left foot on the break. Luckily at a cross point and nobody behind me! Somebody besides me :(, my partner, during a small drive in the streets around our house.
  • Driving is nice, smooth, … :love:
  • Each serious bump on the road and the car makes its typical INEOS noise, quite annoying, I would like to switch that off. Didn’t search yet. :rolleyes:
  • I ordered cross bars and off road recovery kit: no idea when they will deliver! :mad:
That’s it for today I think! Perhaps I post some more pictures.:unsure:

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
First: my car is a Trialmaster, Petrol, winch, Sela Green, sun roofs, tinted windows,
Second: I drove home without taking the motorway, 1 hour ride instead of 30 minutes. I drove 40 km.
Third: my gasoline tank was “empty”, 0 km left. I told the adjunct of the dealer that I would drive home without refueling. He told me not to do it, “worried”. I didn’t. Tomorrow gasoline prices go down by 5 ct/l. My wife told me (when I told her at home): “are you crazy, you buy a super expensive car and you take a risk for some peanut euro’s?”. I wasn’t worried. :)

• The adjunct of the boss, @Rob Ceulemans , also a forum member (although not active), took his time for me. Very nice guy by the way. (y)
  • He also asked me if I had my LED “chinese beamer” in Deutsch connectors with me, and I had, to test my car and perhaps another car. Funny, don’t they have the possibility to test these connectors? :unsure::unsure:
  • I got a coffee
  • Two years free “Touring Assistance” (assistance in case of breakdown), but the conditions were not provided, only the telephone numbers! (y)
  • My “legal” numberplate was mounted and also my front numberplate. I didn’t know they were providing it themselves, I had already bought one (30 €)! (y) - anyway, they should have told me!

Fifth, findings:
  • The outside roof connector at the front right, the one rated 25 amp, that should get power with the EXT2 button, gets power with the INT1 button: WRONG WIRING? :mad:
  • @Rob Ceulemans tested this on another car with higher VIN number: this car was OK! (y)
  • The dummy plugs of the Deutsch connectors are really dummies! No metal pins inside! :rolleyes:
  • @Rob Ceulemans saw that the left windscreen washer was completely loose. He pushed it inside it’s hole, but it’s clear that I will have to watch that! :mad:
  • My left mirror cannot (at first sight) be positioned well enough in the blind spot (I like to do that in our right-handed driving country” (I have still to check that on motorways) :(
  • The altimeter at home was indicating “-7 m” while we live at about +7m above sea level. Due to weather conditions? To check! I don’t know the principle of the altimeter. :unsure:
  • I only noticed it at home, but there is indeed quite some rust on the wheel axles! :mad:
  • The “bigger back door” compartment was indeed bended outward because of too much stuff inside. :( I removed the packaging of the emergency kit, and did put it back in the compartment and it was much better.
  • I have two emergency triangles, one under the passenger seat, and another one in the back door compartment! Is this a legal requirement? :unsure:
  • I had an average consumption of 14.1 l/100 km Petrol while driving home in a mixture of countryside roads (70 km/h) and city (50 km/h and 30 km/h), for a 40 km drive.
  • Copy-paste from @Arkaig: “12v & usb outlets IN CENTRAL BOX (my addition) – locations designed by an idiot, certainly lacking everyday practicality – in need of additional outlets either above or below front dash” 🤮
  • The USB connectors are slightly “horizontally” tilted, once you know it, it makes connection easier, but still difficult, as you cannot see them very well in the storage box. :(
  • Also “copy-paste”: Android auto IS NOT wireless and ONLY works through the USB-C port!
  • Connection with my Android phone was quite straightforward, but at first didn’t work; Rob restarted the car, and then the phone was recognized. :rolleyes:
  • Waze and Google maps worked, although the layout is quite different, and the speed driven and maximum speed (in Waze) areon the far edge of the screen, annoying. :(
  • There is a difference of about +3 or +4 km/h between the odometer and the GPS signal (Waze).
  • Driving: I am not used to automatic gear, therefore I once tried to disengage and did put my left foot on the break. Luckily at a cross point and nobody behind me! Somebody besides me :(, my partner, during a small drive in the streets around our house.
  • Each serious bump on the road and the car makes its typical INEOS noise, quite annoying, I would like to switch that off. Didn’t search yet. :rolleyes:
  • I ordered cross bars and off road recovery kit: no idea when they will deliver! :mad:
Great that you got it today Jean!

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

• I got a coffee

Fifth, findings:
  • Waze and Google maps worked, although the layout is quite different, and the speed driven and maximum speed (in Waze) areon the far edge of the screen, annoying. :(
Jean you don’t sound delighted? I hope the car isn’t a disappointment.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Jean you don’t sound delighted? I hope the car isn’t a disappointment.
You are wrong: I am very delighted :)
But I didn't drive enough, and drove very cautiously, because I still have some automatic reactions of "manual gear driving"! :rolleyes:
Really, I had and still have a big smile on my face :)

Gwynne

Forum Donor
Local time
1:45 AM
Reaction score

Regards
Michael
Petrol or diesel? Otherwise great to hear. Enjoy Italy it’s on our lust of places to go

PC01

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

• I got a coffee

Fifth, findings:
  • Waze and Google maps worked, although the layout is quite different, and the speed driven and maximum speed (in Waze) are on the far edge of the screen, annoying. :(
Jean
Great feedback and i suspect you are still smiling.
Would be interested to have your further feedback after a week or so.
Had to laugh on your wrong foot breaking
Enjoy !!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score

• I got a coffee

Fifth, findings:
Gawd that's a list mate. Epic in fact. Your agent will need an ammo box full of headache pills if you're a typical owner!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom