The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
I accidentally did.
But anyway I think it certainly can be driven close to 10 litres as long it’s not beaten on the Autobahn
I’m sure it can on a long 100kph highway run. My D3 with bullbar, winch, long range tank, roofracks etc ran about 12 on mixed, 14 with a heavy foot around town and could occasionally sneak just under 10 on long highway runs without a lot of hills. I think the IG will probably so similar after run in and if so I will be happy with that.

Steveo

Global Grenadier #1009
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I towed a 2.8 tonne hybrid caravan from Adelaide to Darwin last October with my V6 manual Amarok 3100km each way, I sat on 110kmh on the way to Darwin, and the average consumption on the way up was 17.2 litres per 100km, on the way back to Adelaide I sat on 100kmh and used 13.8 litres per 100km. I set the speed using a gps, and was surprised by the difference 10kmh made.
Nah, that’s because it was downhill on the way back

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Yeah My main concern is how well you can pack it with say 2 weeks of cryovaced meals, precious fluids etc etc and what the internals might look like after a day of corrugated roads or smashed up tracks. Upright interior configurations (that I’ve seen anyway) don’t tend to cater for that well at all. In a chest they all just tend to bounce about without anything “falling” so generally good at the end of the day, and you can pack thing’s reasonably tight to minimize that. Anyway we will see what presents in the fullness of time.
We carry 2 fridges, one for things like cryovaced food (bushman 52) and another for "day use" so that option suits us best, all up with the camper we have a ridiculous 184lt of fridge space for long trips, we don't freeze as it's pointless with cryovacing. If you do it correctly a well packed upright is good, you need containers etc but the pluses outweigh the minus's

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I towed a 2.8 tonne hybrid caravan from Adelaide to Darwin last October with my V6 manual Amarok 3100km each way, I sat on 110kmh on the way to Darwin, and the average consumption on the way up was 17.2 litres per 100km, on the way back to Adelaide I sat on 100kmh and used 13.8 litres per 100km. I set the speed using a gps, and was surprised by the difference 10kmh made.
Then, on the return journey you used about 100 litres less fuel, saved A$250 but spent 3 more hours driving!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:47 AM
Reaction score
It's standard in all models I thought, it's pretty well hidden, check with a torch.
So the 60 quid smokers pack gets one a removable ashtray that takes up a cup holder spot and a lighter that plugs into the same 12v socket we all get?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Then, on the return journey you used about 100 litres less fuel, saved A$250 but spent 3 more hours driving!
That is very true, but in most cases with caravan travellers, time is not of the essence. But as @Steve.B has demonstrated there is a sliding scale of fuel efficiency when it come to speed v towing speed, or speed in general for that matter

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I used UK gallons not US gallons. Did you use US? For a brick shaped 4x4 weighing more than 2.5 tonnes I would say 12 in a vehicle not yet run in that’s pretty decent. I wouldn’t expect much better
FWIW, my 92 FJ 80, with 70,000 miles on it got about 10 US mpg around town and 12 or so on the highway. Similar shape and slightly lighter but way worse on fuel economy. But if I was worried about fuel economy I’d drive a purple Honda Fit/Jazz. Oh. Wait … 🫤

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
FWIW, my 92 FJ 80, with 70,000 miles on it got about 10 US mpg around town and 12 or so on the highway. Similar shape and slightly lighter but way worse on fuel economy. But if I was worried about fuel economy I’d drive a purple Honda Fit/Jazz. Oh. Wait … 🫤
your last sentence sounds like you've been on the Toyota forums and their obsession with fuel consumption :LOL:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
(Spoiler alert - I drive a purple Honda fit. I must qualify that with I sold my truck to take advantage of the stupid used market)

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah My main concern is how well you can pack it with say 2 weeks of cryovaced meals, precious fluids etc etc and what the internals might look like after a day of corrugated roads or smashed up tracks. Upright interior configurations (that I’ve seen anyway) don’t tend to cater for that well at all. In a chest they all just tend to bounce about without anything “falling” so generally good at the end of the day, and you can pack thing’s reasonably tight to minimize that. Anyway we will see what presents in the fullness of time.
I agree, It's a change in thinking, well for me anyway, to go down the upright road, I was dead against it but if you want to make your life easier (and wife/partner/travel companion happier) I have found it good. Not perfect but suits our needs.

Local time
Reaction score
So the 60 quid smokers pack gets one a removable ashtray that takes up a cup holder spot and a lighter that plugs into the same 12v socket we all get?
Yes, would've almost been worth the upgrade if it had included an extra cig socket at the bottom of the centre stack.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, would've almost been worth the upgrade if it had included an extra cig socket at the bottom of the centre stack.
Agreed. Seems a bit expensive without it. I’m sure you could buy the ashtray and lighter way cheaper online.

edit - a quick search on Amazon and that combo could be had for less than $20 US.

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
(Spoiler alert - I drive a purple Honda fit. I must qualify that with I sold my truck to take advantage of the stupid used market)

I did exactly the same, Honda Jazz’s are great cars though, built with a clear design purpose, man maximum, machine minimum, might keep it as a runaround.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@MarkH @Spjnr
I promised you that I would get back to you about the 12 V socket. As I said, there is only one in the middle box. There are 2 cut-outs to run flat cables to the outside without squeezing them. There is no 12V socket in the front console.

What we also noticed are the metal brackets of the seat adjusters in the front, which are bent forward into the footwell on one side. For people with long legs, they are no problem. For shorter people, however, they bump against the calf. This could have been solved better.

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2034.jpg
    IMG_2034.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 122

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
@MarkH @Spjnr
I promised you that I would get back to you about the 12 V socket. As I said, there is only one in the middle box. There are 2 cut-outs to run flat cables to the outside without squeezing them. There is no 12V socket in the front console.

What we also noticed are the metal brackets of the seat adjusters in the front, which are bent forward into the footwell on one side. For people with long legs, they are no problem. For shorter people, however, they bump against the calf. This could have been solved better.
I presume shorter people could slide the seat forward a bit which would mean you wouldn’t then rub your calf on the adjuster handle 🤔

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I presume shorter people could slide the seat forward a bit which would mean you wouldn’t then rub your calf on the adjuster handle 🤔
Yes, that's right. If you stretch your legs out, it's no problem. But on a longer ride, you want to pull them close to you sometimes, and then they bump into you. That's not a drama, but it's an unpleasant solution for us.

Local time
Reaction score
As I said, there is only one in the middle box. There are 2 cut-outs to run flat cables to the outside without squeezing them. There is no 12V socket in the front console.
Ah, had my wires crossed, I was reading centre console as the stowage box.

Back
Top Bottom