The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Show us your newest toy!

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:15 PM
Reaction score
It's easy for me to say that I'm not a huge Rolex fan (because I can't afford them), but if I were to buy one, it'd be a Milgauss! They're weird in a cool way and I :love: that green sapphire crystal!
Who said I could afford them? šŸ˜‚
Sometimes, things just happen. Right time, right place and offered these, mostly used watches at a price that was difficult to say no to. Likewise my Grenadier. As an early adopter I did well. Not sure I could justify it now. Especially the modded versions!

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
Iā€™ve owned this since 1982 when I bought it in Germany at the end of a tour with a lump sum payout of LOA šŸ˜. Cost me 700 quid.
A chocolate fish goes to the first to decode my lingo (including my prize offer)šŸ˜‰
Apparently itā€™s a ā€œgreat whiteā€ according to some experts but Iā€™m not one šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
Not a common sea dweller model Iā€™m told.
Anyone here have a clue as to value?

Attachments

• IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 150

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Iā€™ve owned this since 1982 when I bought it in Germany at the end of a tour with a lump sum payout of LOA šŸ˜. Cost me 700 quid.
A chocolate fish goes to the first to decode my lingo (including my prize offer)šŸ˜‰
Apparently itā€™s a ā€œgreat whiteā€ according to some experts but Iā€™m not one šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
The great white was the successor to the double red. The DR is the one most valued by collectors, behind the COMEX versions of course. I would guess that yours might have a value of between Ā£12,000 - Ā£15,000? I might be out either way by a couple of thousand. I can find out if you want, or you might just browse the internet for recently sold prices. The fact you are the original owner (hopefully with box and papers), would make a difference.
Still trying to work out what I need to guess in order to win that Chocolate fish šŸ˜‚
PS. Were you a sat diver at that time?

ErnieB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
A "Great White" Sea Dweller 1665 (as referred to due the large 12 o'clock indices) currently is valued between $24-$38K USD depending on condition, whether it comes with original box, papers, hang tag, etc.. I am a watch collector and general horology nerd.
Great watch! You should sell it to me for 900 quid! :LOL:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score

Donā€™t listen to any of these so called ā€œexpertsā€, what people mean when they said it was a ā€œgreat whiteā€ is actually itā€™s a great ā€œwhite elephantā€ and not worth that much.

However I am able to give you 1500 if you are willing to pay the postage šŸ‘

In all honesty if you have it serviced make sure you send that to someone who really knows what they are doing and are sympathetic to servicing vintage watches properly. Itā€™s a beauty along with the single red and the double red. Unfortunately my Sea Dweller does have red writing on it but itā€™s the 50th anniversary, which came out on my 50th year, so it was a no brainer for me to get it šŸ˜€

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A "Great White" Sea Dweller 1665 (as referred to due the large 12 o'clock indices) currently is valued between $24-$38K USD depending on condition, whether it comes with original box, papers, hang tag, etc.. I am a watch collector and general horology nerd.
Great watch! You should sell it to me for 900 quid! :LOL:
On Watchfinder UK just now.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.png
    IMG_0957.png
    770.6 KB · Views: 87

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The great white was the successor to the double red. The DR is the one most valued by collectors, behind the COMEX versions of course. I would guess that yours might have a value of between Ā£12,000 - Ā£15,000? I might be out either way by a couple of thousand. I can find out if you want, or you might just browse the internet for recently sold prices. The fact you are the original owner (hopefully with box and papers), would make a difference.
Still trying to work out what I need to guess in order to win that Chocolate fish šŸ˜‚
PS. Were you a sat diver at that time?
Youā€™re close šŸ˜‰
I was not a SAT diver but a much more lowly SADSā€¦ā€¦.
Chocolate fish still awaits šŸ¤”

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
I've just operated a 1940s Coleman burner inherited from my father (died April last year at 96) who in turn inherited it from a fellow whom he worked with for a decade or so. It hasn't been started for the past 50 years or so.
This guy , Roland Rodda, was a navigator in the New Zealand air force in WW2 ; also a doctor, and spent some of wartime in the wilds of Papua New Guinea. He was the foundation professor of pathology at the Tasmanian medical school in the mid 1960s, and his special interest was neuropathology.
He was an accomplished mountaineer , having climbed with Ed Hillary and completed some first ascents of NZ peaks e.g. the Nth Buttress of Mt Aspiring in 1956. He was naturally attracted to the mountains of Tasmania, and better prospects professionally.
He recruited my father to the same dept (reader in medical microbiology) and in 1970 we emigrated by sea from Oxford , England.
Shortly after arrival aged 9 or so I went on a bushwalk in the south west wilderness area. Rodda led the party of a dozen or so , with my dad and brother included. It was a tough relentless climb and we didn't have the speed or experience to summit the peak (Mt Anne).
But that trip ignited my love of the outdoors and hiking.
I became a medical student and was taught pathology by old Roly. He used to smoke in lectures, incluing a couple on atherosclerosis!
He developed emphysema and after retirement in 1982 emigrated to England , the country of his wife's birth.
He spent his retirement in the Lakes District, hiking with an oxygen cylinder strapped to his back.

Moving on , he gifted the Coleman to my dad. Having informed dad the stove ran on petrol , my father was spooked and never tried to operate it.
He was fine using kerosene blowtorches , but petrol scared him!

Anyway today I pulled the stove out of its case and after lubing the leather valve with oil and cleaning the carbon from the brass mesh filter, fired it up using Shellite. It runs like a champ!

So well made; "Roly" the stove is going straight into the back of the Grenadier :love:

Bottom pic is me ; the iconic Lake Pedder in the background. This has an 800m white quartzite beach. Sadly the lake was flooded in 1972 for a hydroelectricity scheme. thereby kicking of the world's first Green political movement.

20240727_114334.jpg
20240727_114411.jpg

340468854_6311567362215480_4667676745992769814_n.jpg

Last edited:

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
I bought these for a P2A1 signal pistol that I have had for a couple of decades.

They will be added to the IGā€™s emergency kit.

Edit to above: 26.5mm signal flares. Three burn red rain.

Attachments

• IMG_4556.jpeg
    IMG_4556.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I've just operated a 1940s Coleman burner inherited from my father (died April last year at 96) who in turn inherited it from a fellow whom he worked with for a decade or so. It hasn't been started for the past 50 years or so.
This guy , Roland Rodda, was a navigator in the New Zealnd air force in WW2 ; also a doctor, and spent some of wartime in the wilds of Papua New Guinea. He was the foundation professor of pathology at the Tasmanian medical school in the mid 1960s, and his special interest was neuropathology.
He was an accomplished mountaineer , having climbed with Ed Hillary and completed some first ascents of NZ peaks e.g. the Nth Buttress of Mt Aspiring in 1956. He was naturally attracted to the mountains of Tasmania, and better prospects professionally.
He recruited my father to the same dept (reader in medical microbiology) and in 1970 we emigrated by sea from Oxford , England.
Shortly after arrival aged 9 or so I went on a bushwalk in the south west wilderness area. Rodda led the party of a dozen or so , with my dad and brother included. It was a tough relentless climb and we didn't have the speed or experience to summit the peak (Mt Anne).
But that trip ignited my love of the outdoors and hiking.
I became a medical student and was taught pathology by old Roley. He used to smoke in lectures, incluing a couple on atherosclerosis!
He developed emphysema and after retirement in 1982 emigrated to England , the country of his wife's birth.
He spent his retirement in the Lakes District, hiking with an oxygen cylinder strapped to his back.

Moving on , he gifted the Coleman to my dad. Having informed dad the stove ran on petrol , my father was spooked and never tried to operate it.
He was fine using kerosene blowtorches , but petrol scared him!

Anyway today I pulled the stove out of its case and after lubing the leather valve with oil and cleaning the carbon from the brass mesh filter, fired it up using Shellite. It runs like a champ!

So well made; "Roly" the stove is going straight into the back of the Grenadier :love:

Bottom pic is me ; the iconic Lake Pedder in the background. This has an 800m white quartzite beach. Sadly the lake was flooded in 1972 for a hydroelectricity scheme. thereby kicking of the world's first Green political movement.

View attachment 7864843
View attachment 7864844

View attachment 7864845
Wow such a great piece of kit! Awesome to have an amazing story behind it too šŸ˜šŸ‘šŸ¼

Back
Top Bottom