The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

ROOF RACKS

TSquared

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
It's all about brackets, I think.
Hi @grnamin. Can I ask what cross-bar setup you are using to support your rooftop carrier? I have resorted to the Thule pro bars with the high towers, but your photo shown what looks to be a much better integrated system. Thx.

Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can fit any brand of light bar to any roof rack? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I’m a novice. Cheers
drill, bolt, nylock. Use stainless fasteners when you can.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @grnamin. Can I ask what cross-bar setup you are using to support your rooftop carrier? I have resorted to the Thule pro bars with the high towers, but your photo shown what looks to be a much better integrated system. Thx.
I used Alu-Cab load bars and feet for the Grenadier.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can fit any brand of light bar to any roof rack? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I’m a novice. Cheers
Many brands of light brackets on the market. I needed my work light to sit it below the rack load surface and still clear the rear door, so I made mount from stainless plate. Custom bent to fit, and uses standard Rhino Rack hardware.

For rack selection, you cannot beat the factory Rhino Rack. It is rock solid and has the largest platform on the market.

IMG_6587.jpeg

utahgrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
does anyone have the CargoBear 2.0

IMG_3872.jpeg

Cargo Bear 2.0

Attachments

• IMG_3873.jpeg
    IMG_3873.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3874.jpeg
    IMG_3874.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    739.3 KB · Views: 23

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I used Alu-Cab load bars and feet for the Grenadier.
Hey - want to hear everyone’s opinions. I am looking at 270 awnings, and REALLY like the look of the Alu-cab. Looks so much easier than the RR Batwing. I have the RR RDB stock cross-bars - not thrilled with wind noise so leave them off for the most part. I’m trying to find out if the Alu-cab awning is compatible with those with an adapter bracket. But, if not, what do you guys think about the Leitner load bars vs Alu-cab? I like the fact that both seem to mount to the grab bars vs the airline rail. I’m not interested in a full or partial rack. Just load bars that I can use to mount an awning to.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hey - want to hear everyone’s opinions. I am looking at 270 awnings, and REALLY like the look of the Alu-cab. Looks so much easier than the RR Batwing. I have the RR RDB stock cross-bars - not thrilled with wind noise so leave them off for the most part. I’m trying to find out if the Alu-cab awning is compatible with those with an adapter bracket. But, if not, what do you guys think about the Leitner load bars vs Alu-cab? I like the fact that both seem to mount to the grab bars vs the airline rail. I’m not interested in a full or partial rack. Just load bars that I can use to mount an awning to.
I think the Alu-Cab feet and load bars are one of the best. Solid build, barely any wind noise when driving. I've since then switched over to the Leitner ACS rack so I can carry more gear on the roof. It also helps that three 270 degree batwing awning brackets can be installed on the Leitner. With the Alu-Cab load bars, you're limited to two. The Leitner load bars are a better bet if you need three brackets mounted.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think the Alu-Cab feet and load bars are one of the best. Solid build, barely any wind noise when driving. I've since then switched over to the Leitner ACS rack so I can carry more gear on the roof. It also helps that three 270 degree batwing awning brackets can be installed on the Leitner. With the Alu-Cab load bars, you're limited to two. The Leitner load bars are a better bet if you need three brackets mounted.
Oh - good point. I think for the XL Alu-cab awning, they recommend 3 brackets. I was just planning on the regular awning. Wonder how easy it is to mount the Alu-cab awning to the Leitner bars. Also, any opinion on how easy it is to mount and take off the 2 options?

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Oh - good point. I think for the XL Alu-cab awning, they recommend 3 brackets. I was just planning on the regular awning. Wonder how easy it is to mount the Alu-cab awning to the Leitner bars. Also, any opinion on how easy it is to mount and take off the 2 options?
I'm mounting an OpenRoad 270 awning using Leitner and RacksBrax quick release brackets in the next few days. Will keep you posted.

pmatusov

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
Four 24" pieces of 3"x4", 1/4" wall, aluminum angle and four Maxxhaul 68" cross-bars , and you have your long parts hauler.
A handful of 45-degree brackets and a 3"-wide, 1/8" thick, piece of aluminum stock makes it whisper-quiet.
It is incredibly modular - using 8-mm T-bolts or T-nuts, you can mount just about anything to it.

1721319183961.png
1721319275560.png

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which brackets are you using?
These:
and these:

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These:
and these:
Hugs and kisses, Sugar Lips. I take back all the bad stuff I said about Texas. Well, at least a lot of it.

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
Four 24" pieces of 3"x4", 1/4" wall, aluminum angle and four Maxxhaul 68" cross-bars , and you have your long parts hauler.
A handful of 45-degree brackets and a 3"-wide, 1/8" thick, piece of aluminum stock makes it whisper-quiet.
It is incredibly modular - using 8-mm T-bolts or T-nuts, you can mount just about anything to it.

View attachment 7864022
View attachment 7864023
Can you post some pictures of the brackets and how they attach to the Grenadier? It looks like a very simple solution.

Bobineos

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:05 PM
Reaction score

View attachment 7864022
View attachment 7864023
Like the roof rack set up any chance of some close up photos, especially the brackets.
Top man.
Cheers B

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Which brackets are you using?
Let us know how
These:
and these:
let me know how that turns out - I might copy you, but with the Leitner load bars. Really like the quick release option, as well. Leitner said 2 was sufficient- that it didn’t need 3

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got the two Leitner bars instead of a rack. I like that they install by replacing the factory bracket on the silver roof bars. The downside is you must choose to install them in one of those 6 spots, not anywhere you want like the type that clamp onto the roof gutter. I love the fact they have T-slots on all sides! Tool box is installed. Just waiting for the shower tank to get delivered next week to go on the other side. 10 gallon 10x40 inch aluminum tank with a hose and shower head that can be interchanged.
Update here…

I just keep loving the Leitner system even more. A 12mm wrench and loosening 4 nuts makes it really easy to take the two bars, toolbox, and water tank off as 1 piece to store in the garage. I just leave the mounting brackets on the Grenadier. I also needed to empty water tank and toolbox first so it was light enough to lift up a few inches to remove from the mounting brackets.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Update here…

I just keep loving the Leitner system even more. A 12mm wrench and loosening 4 nuts makes it really easy to take the two bars, toolbox, and water tank off as 1 piece to store in the garage. I just leave the mounting brackets on the Grenadier. I also needed to empty water tank and toolbox first so it was light enough to lift up a few inches to remove from the mounting brackets.
Have you tried mounting an awning to the crossbars? They look great. What do you think about wind noise at higher speeds (with only the bars on)? I hated it with the RR RDB’s that my Ineos dealer put on, so I just took them off.

Psignore00

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I never had the bars on with nothing else. It was 8 bolts to take off the water tank and 4 more to take off the toolbox off the bars, so 1/3 the work to just take the bars off with everything attached.

There is way less noise, but I don’t think it was coming from the bars. It was the bulkier stuff attached and in all fairness, I have the cyclone precleaner on my RAI, which adds noise too.

As for the awning… It would make the bars heavier to lift on and off and I prefer the old school utility of a tarp, rope, and poles. I was thinking of mounting some eye-bolts to the bars as a way to attach the tarp to the vehicle and use less poles.

Back
Top Bottom