The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack better in the gutter or on the grab rails?

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
Was it easy to route the uhf cable? Also, where did you mount the transceiver? Thanks Telliottaus, i was thinking the same thing, routing the antennae up near the grab bars. It would be great if someone made a bracket that could connect to the grab bar for the Antennae mount
I'll get some photos and post in the next day or so as i need to rework part of the install a bit to tidy it up.. My vehicle is RHD with aux power. Wasn't too hard, used the grommet for my power outlets, under the grab bars, along the roof inside, you'll see where to go once you take the grab bar off. Down the b pillar. Need to make sure you go behind the curtain airbag above the passenger door or you'll have a problem if you need it... under the chair, along rhs wiring loom on the floor. Used the drivers side footwell power and the unit is a concealed one under my steering wheel behind the dash trim. Hardest part was getting the cable under the seat takes a bit of juggling....

KDJDGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
I'll get some photos and post in the next day or so as i need to rework part of the install a bit to tidy it up.. My vehicle is RHD with aux power. Wasn't too hard, used the grommet for my power outlets, under the grab bars, along the roof inside, you'll see where to go once you take the grab bar off. Down the b pillar. Need to make sure you go behind the curtain airbag above the passenger door or you'll have a problem if you need it... under the chair, along rhs wiring loom on the floor. Used the drivers side footwell power and the unit is a concealed one under my steering wheel behind the dash trim. Hardest part was getting the cable under the seat takes a bit of juggling....
Very helpful Telliottaus. Mine is also RHD

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
So, I had discussed this in another thread (https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/hard-shell-rooftop-tent.12411517/post-1333193363) and am not convinced that a standard gutter fixture will do good to the gutter, if mounted to the outside, and that is because the gutter is more than 30mm wide, compared to some 5 mm on a classic Defender.
Is that a typo? An old Defender has a gutter something like 25mm wide, compared to a Grenadier's @40mm.

I'm still surprised nobody is looking to someone like Patriot for a rack. The details people seem most concerned about with a gutter mounting - location of legs within the gutter & load bearing along it - seem to be amply addressed:

IMG_20230703_102843930_HDR.jpgIMG_20230703_102918867.jpgIMG_20230703_102945826_HDR.jpg

I should add this is a 10 year old rack that's been loaded up over the years with quite a selection of things and weight to zero ill effect to either it or the gutters.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
Is that a typo? An old Defender has a gutter something like 25mm wide, compared to a Grenadier's @40mm.

I'm still surprised nobody is looking to someone like Patriot for a rack. The details people seem most concerned about with a gutter mounting - location of legs within the gutter & load bearing along it - seem to be amply addressed:

View attachment 7819014View attachment 7819015View attachment 7819016

I should add this is a 10 year old rack that's been loaded up over the years with quite a selection of things and weight to zero ill effect to either it or the gutters.
Excellent foot design. I'll only add that I expect no issues with the full length feet on the Rhino rack, given I expect to make minor adjustments to the "dealer installation".

Reactions: PBD

Christoph

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
I had the impression that at my friend's Defender it is smaller - but you are obviously right. I can not confirm the 40 mm at the Grenadier, though. Inside width I measure some 30mm plus.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:08 PM
Reaction score
The rain gutters of my 1997 Defender Station Wagon measure 20 mm of width.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Used the drivers side footwell power and the unit is a concealed one under my steering wheel behind the dash trim.
Would love to see this bit. That’s where I want to put my unit, but the photos I have seem so far it looks very tight under there

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:08 AM
Reaction score
So, I had discussed this in another thread (https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/hard-shell-rooftop-tent.12411517/post-1333193363) and am not convinced that a standard gutter fixture will do good to the gutter, if mounted to the outside, and that is because the gutter is more than 30mm wide, compared to some 5 mm on a classic Defender.

I did now, for my roof tent, move the fixtures to the inner side to reduce the lever and thus the pressure on the gutters and hope this will work fine. Makes a good impression so far.

I achieved this by adding some tailor made PVC blocks in, here's a photo:

View attachment 7818831
Hello Christoph.
I chose to take delivery of the Grenadier without the Cross bars and the sidesteps which were parts of the payed configuration. I’ll bring back the truck to the representative to have them installed when they‘ve arrived…
Meanwhile, I realized that the cross bars were very large (I think 110mm according to my investigations in Rhinorack’s catalog).
So not compatible with the fixation system of my James Baroud equipment (Falcon awning and Evasion XXL RTT).
So I’m going to have a go with the 1800mm HD bars from Rhinorack and their gutter legs ref. RL210DS8.
I know they are designed for the LR Defender but here is my thinking :
The FrontRunner gutter legs coming with their Grenadier roof rack are the exact same ref. than FrontRunner gutter legs used for LR Defender’s roof rack.
So I’m thinking, if FrontRunner’s defender gutter legs are compatible with the Grenadier, may be it will be the same with Rhinorack’s…
So I’ve just ordered a pair of RL210DS8 gutter legs and will see if they fit on the Grenadier. I’ll keep you posted if that’s of any interest…

Last edited:

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I did now, for my roof tent, move the fixtures to the inner side to reduce the lever and thus the pressure on the gutters and hope this will work fine. Makes a good impression so far.

I achieved this by adding some tailor made PVC blocks in, here's a photo:

View attachment 7818831
Forgot to ask you in my previous post : how did you make the small pvc pieces ? Thanks.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hello Christoph.
I chose to take delivery of the Grenadier without the Cross bars and the sidesteps which were parts of the payed configuration. I’ll bring back the truck to the representative to have them installed when they‘ve arrived…
Meanwhile, I realized that the cross bars were very large (I think 110mm according to my investigations in Rhinorack’s catalog).
So not compatible with the fixation system of my James Baroud equipment (Falcon awning and Evasion XXL RTT).
So I’m going to have a go with the 1800mm HD bars from Rhinorack and their gutter legs ref. RL210DS8.
I know they are designed for the LR Defender but here is my thinking :
The FrontRunner gutter legs coming with their Grenadier roof rack are the exact same ref. than FrontRunner gutter legs used for LR Defender’s roof rack.
So I’m thinking, if FrontRunner’s defender gutter legs are compatible with the Grenadier, may be it will be the same with Rhinorack’s…
So I’ve just ordered a pair of RL210DS8 gutter legs and will see if they fit on the Grenadier. I’ll keep you posted if that’s of any interest…
Re: RL210DS8 gutter legs. Would be interested in how these turn out thanks. I'll be looking at using these legs with the Clevershade Awning and Clevershade crossbars (Clevershade crossbars use the Rhino HD bar legs) :)

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Re: RL210DS8 gutter legs. Would be interested in how these turn out thanks. I'll be looking at using these legs with the Clevershade Awning and Clevershade crossbars (Clevershade crossbars use the Rhino HD bar legs) :)
Received the gutter legs : they fit 😉👌🏻😊
I’m now waiting for two other pairs of legs and three rhinorack HD 1800mm bars to complete my setup.
Depending of the final result, I might copy this solution :
Post in thread 'Roof rack better in the gutter or on the grab rails?'

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
excellent thanks, any images of them clamped in the gutter?
I’ll post some pictures once the setup is complete and on the Grenadier. For the moment she’s having her covering done at
AdStylProtect and I’m waiting for the bars and the two other pairs of legs.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
Received the gutter legs : they fit 😉👌🏻😊
I’m now waiting for two other pairs of legs and three rhinorack HD 1800mm bars to complete my setup.
Depending of the final result, I might copy this solution :
Post in thread 'Roof rack better in the gutter or on the grab rails?'
That’s excellent news. Many thanks for posting. I have a lot of Heavy duty rhino rack fittings and was hoping to repurpose the bars from my disco 2 with new feet. Look forward to seeing the pics.

cheers
Steve

jb_hamon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_4891.jpeg
    IMG_4891.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4892.jpeg