The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Roof rack better in the gutter or on the grab rails?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
I haven't seen a European on, mine is a Trialmaster with the aux high load panel..fwiw
We are both talking about this bracket? (one your pic, other Black Sheep vid)

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpeg
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
Is there a Rhino rack that extends up to and not over the safari windows ; the only shorter one I've seen looks like a 1/2 rack?
I see what you mean. I just jumped into the configurator and this is the 3/4 they show.

So what is that, 6-8 inches before the Safari glass?
IMG_4069.png

You may be able to specify the exact length from Frontrunner, and position the feet where you want them.

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
We are both talking about this bracket? (one your pic, other Black Sheep vid)
Yes, don't get me wrong, I really like the BSI solution and it is t this point my favoured option, just being on very rough roads where there is a lot of wear and things rubbed together lots, eg my maxtracs nearly wore through my lockable spare tyre storage. It is a lot of money and if I need to do some mods to make it stronger I will.

Local time
Reaction score
I have pulled them off to install my uhf antenna, they are plastic.i was thinking of getting some metal ones fabricated...
Surely our black handrail brackets are the same as EU vehicles. Why would they make them plastic for AU. Maybe a late $$ saving spec change? Thomas roused on me on FB for saying they were plastic after reading your previous comments on them. 😁
What are the rails made of?

Last edited:

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Surely our black handrail brackets are the same as EU vehicles. Why would they make them plastic for AU. Maybe a late $$ saving spec change?
What are the rails made of?
Rails are aluminium tube. Plastic can be strong, just the relentless bumping over corrugations

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I see what you mean. I just jumped into the configurator and this is the 3/4 they show.

So what is that, 6-8 inches before the Safari glass?

You may be able to specify the exact length from Frontrunner, and position the feet where you want them.
Yes that extra bit will/would be useful e.g. for awning side storage etc etc

Local time
Reaction score
@Black Sheep FYI if you get enquiries from AU. See above re the handrail brackets being plastic for AU vehicles. 🤷

Attachments

• IMG_1726.jpeg
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 49

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Black Sheep FYI if you get enquiries from AU. See above re the handrail brackets being plastic for AU vehicles. 🤷
I would really love to go and check my Grenadier but it is at the dealer... bit the worse for wear following the Anne Beadell hwy.... hence my concerns re strength over extreme corrugations etc

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone else in Aus who has taken delivery of their Grenadier care to tap on the bracket with a coin or screwdriver (or give ‘em a bite with your pearly whites) to confirm they are some kind of metal?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would really love to go and check my Grenadier but it is at the dealer... bit the worse for wear following the Anne Beadell hwy.... hence my concerns re strength over extreme corrugations etc
Would be great to hear how it went and any other areas that need attention for that kind of trip.

Telliottaus

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Would be great to hear how it went and any other areas that need attention for that kind of trip.
I'm going to put a post together on the whole went well, car was excellent and confident in the rough. Tip of the day is make sure bolts holding the trans coolers in place don't fall out...

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyone else in Aus who has taken delivery of their Grenadier care to tap on the bracket with a coin or screwdriver (or give ‘em a bite with your pearly whites) to confirm they are some kind of metal?
I checked them when I took one for a drive, they are metal. Not sure what kind though.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or for dangling your legs through the safaris.
I think I got laughed at last time I suggested it but it would not be that hard to cut down the full size Rhino into a 3/4+. Yes void your warranty but the six foot version is not that much cheaper and a foot too short.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I think I got laughed at last time I suggested it but it would not be that hard to cut down the full size Rhino into a 3/4+. Yes void your warranty but the six foot version is not that much cheaper and a foot too short.
It would make more sense to use the FR one and remove slats for the safari windows to open.
The mounting system seems similar and the rack itself has a 5 year warrarty FWIW. Plus it doesn't weigh as much.
Why don't Rhino just make the 3/4 one?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It would make more sense to use the FR one and remove slats for the safari windows to open.
The mounting system seems similar and the rack itself has a 5 year warrarty FWIW. Plus it doesn't weigh as much.
Why don't Rhino just make the 3/4 one?
6ft is for the Quartermaster and probably suits most who want a shorter rack on wagon. Easier and more cost effective to make, store, distribute and retail two SKUs instead of three.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
6ft is for the Quartermaster and probably suits most who want a shorter rack on wagon. Easier and more cost effective to make, store, distribute and retail two SKUs instead of three.
That is the Australian perspective. There will be many safari roofed SWs in Europe and people do like their RTTs ; not as much space for caravans and trailers as Oz. Plus the roads are clogged..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I haven't read anything from INEOS that specifically says the grab handles can be used to support loads but that's not to ay they can't.

I have only read comments from INEOS that the handles are for grabbing a hold of and attaching side lights or similar items.

I wonder if anyone has asked INEOS to formally confirm the ability of the 4 grab handles to support a roof rack & weight??
There is a picture/video somewhere of the Grenadier with pine fence posts strapped directly onto the roof and tied down to the handles.
Ths is an official Ineos picture/video
I will try to find it.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm going to put a post together on the whole went well, car was excellent and confident in the rough. Tip of the day is make sure bolts holding the trans coolers in place don't fall out...
Ok, thats a worry. This is the one behind the front bumper wing?

Back
Top Bottom