The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear Mud Flaps - Correct Fitting

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
So @das mo posted about the fitting of his rear mud flaps here:
"I'm in the wheel arches I'm kinda not sure if the parts on top shouldn't be behind the parts on the bottom. Then they would be solid."

And I've looked at mine and they are identical. I'm in two minds:
WP_20230521_030.jpg

It does seem to make sense that they are under the wheel arch liner so that muck and water will run down directly to the ground; if you fit them in front then muck and water has a chance to go down the back.

However, the lower part of the wheel arch liner is completely unsupported and indeed can very easily be moved apart:
WP_20230521_031.jpg

Added to this the front wheel arch liners are fitted behind the front mud flaps?
WP_20230521_089.jpg

So which way is right?

I'm going to say I think the rears should be fitted in front.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
From another thread:
@rovie has posted "Someone had asked about the installation of the dirt flaps front and rear. See pictures. In my opinion they are well fitted. However, my dealer fitted them because I had the vehicle waxed. How they were fitted before that, I don't know."
IMG_2124.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:32 PM
Reaction score
So which way is right?

I'm going to say I think the rears should be fitted in front.

If the flaps are mounted in the front, dirt and water from the upward rotating part of the tire will be thrown behind the cover and mess up the whole scenery.

If they are mounted in the rear, the water runs down behind the lower lpastic part, but can drip off.

But I don't know either.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rear mudflaps confuses me. The way how they fitted, there is a gap/hole. I’m on the opinion it should be fitted behind the arch liner. Who fitted the Mudflaps? Dealer or Ineos because they come as standard.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good job it's Friday afternoon and I've got a drink in my hand...

I asked Ineos Customer Services about the mud flaps, specifically:

"Hi

I wonder if you can confirm which way around the rear mudflaps should be fitted.

The first position is with them in front of the wheel arch liner, as per this photo:
20230811_171846_328.png

Or the second position is with them behind the wheel arch liner, as per this photo:

20230811_171957_988.jpeg

So which way is correct please?

I sent this on 29th May.
I got a case reference of 101062 on 29th May.
I chased it on 8th June.
For chasing case reference 101062, I got an email with a new case reference 102953 on 9th June.
I chased it on 9th August.
Today (11th August) I have received the following response to case reference 102953:
Screenshot_20230811_171409.jpg

Do I 😆 or 😭?

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

"Hi

I wonder if you can confirm which way around the rear mudflaps should be fitted.

The first position is with them in front of the wheel arch liner, as per this photo:
View attachment 7823158

Or the second position is with them behind the wheel arch liner, as per this photo:

View attachment 7823159

I sent this on 29th May.
I chased it on 8th June.
For chasing case reference 101062, I got an email with a new case reference 102953 on 9th June.
Today (11th August) I have received the following response to case reference 102953:
View attachment 7823160

Do I 😆 or 😭?
That’s very clear!

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:32 PM
Reaction score

"Hi

View attachment 7823158

View attachment 7823159

I sent this on 29th May.
I chased it on 8th June.
View attachment 7823160

Do I 😆 or 😭?
The only option is to laugh!

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

"Hi

View attachment 7823158

View attachment 7823159

I sent this on 29th May.
I chased it on 8th June.
View attachment 7823160

Do I 😆 or 😭?
That's fantastic! They should indeed only go one way. I think Tina may not know which way however.......

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
Jim Radcliffe should go on his own customers services website and contact them, in an undercover boss type scenario and ask them a few basic technical questions and then see if he is satisfied with the whole process, how long it takes and the answers he gets (if any)

I think I would prefer water to run down the back of the mud flap as opposed water and mud getting forced straight through the gap. So the same way as DCPU

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

"Hi

View attachment 7823158

View attachment 7823159

I sent this on 29th May.
I chased it on 8th June.
View attachment 7823160

Do I 😆 or 😭?
I would opt for crying! The could have answered „make sure that the black part covers the other black part from above“
It seems that the answered it without understanding the question…

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
The collective intelligence on this forum should suffice in determining the best position.
You could even organise a "clinical trial" with all the owners.

Wilaspira

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Aesthetically the first picture looks right but the second looks like it would be functionally more effective. Just to create more uncertainty, it seems to me that the design of the interface between the wheel arch liner and mudflap is wrong/poorly designed either way round ie there should be a larger tab on the wheel arch liner that falls over (by a cm or so) the exposed face of the wheel arch liner then the aesthetics and functionality boxes would both be ticked

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The collective intelligence on this forum should suffice in determining the best position.

I think you are bang on Tazzie, I think the owners will be able to decide better on this one.

A bit like a washing powder commercial.

“8 out of 10 Grenadier owners prefer there mudflats tucked in”

Fab

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Or just ask Jean to his car apart a bit more.
Of course I would love to do that myself, to serve the community, but I haven’t got my car yet 😇

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
I think you are bang on Tazzie, I think the owners will be able to decide better on this one.

A bit like a washing powder commercial.

“8 out of 10 Grenadier owners prefer there mudflats tucked in”
There's always one that is "undecided"

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Aesthetically the first picture looks right but the second looks like it would be functionally more effective. Just to create more uncertainty, it seems to me that the design of the interface between the wheel arch liner and mudflap is wrong/poorly designed either way round ie there should be a larger tab on the wheel arch liner that falls over (by a cm or so) the exposed face of the wheel arch liner then the aesthetics and functionality boxes would both be ticked
That was my thoughts, it looked like the wrong design/fit. I wonder if there is an A/M accessory for this? I have not looked but I will be buying A/M flaps anyway when the time comes.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

"Hi

View attachment 7823158

View attachment 7823159

I sent this on 29th May.
I chased it on 8th June.
View attachment 7823160

Do I 😆 or 😭?

This is outrageous. I can't believe how stupid they think we are and what esteem we as customers are held in. A brazen insult. :mad:

Will you continue to insist on an answer?

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you are serious, but I did reply on Friday:

"Tina

It's Friday afternoon. Perhaps you have had a long week, and I appreciate your effort in wanting to clear the decks of old queries before starting afresh next week.

This simple query has been unanswered for 2 months and 13 days.

However, in your zeal to respond you appear to have actually completely ignored the question actually asked.

Perhaps you could review my question, which I took the effort to illustrate with photos, and to which you originally gave a case reference of 101062, and provide the answer as to which way is actually the correct way.
"

So far no reply...

Back
Top Bottom