The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Pan American Highway progress updates

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:35 PM
Reaction score
We’re about a month in and yesterday exited the US after starting the trip in Long Beach.
We’ve received some generous assistance along the way which might be nice to share here.

Iggy arrived with depleted batteries and despite responding to a jump pack was left with various fault warnings.
Other than that the shipping was incident free.

Bernhard at Leitner Designs cleared several of them but it took a whistlestop visit to Sierra Ineos to complete the reset.
Some weeks later we also found time for a routine service at Elliot Bay Ineos who were happy to service our diesel.

Both dealership teams made us very welcome and we’ve benefited also from the interest and encouragement of Ineos USA.

IMG_0315.jpeg

We hopped from National Park to National Park (eight in total) up the west coast.
Thanks to Forum members @255/85 and @Bodhi’s Grenadier who kindly offered in-person recommendations along the way.

IMG_2094.jpeg

Only real issue so far is the windscreen which was cracked by a piece of debris flung off by a truck on a freeway nearby Seattle.
Seems imprudent to replace a ‘screen before the Dempster Highway etc so we’re living with a ~10cm crack stabilised with a bit of superglue.

Might also be worth noting that oil of the correct spec (for a diesel) is difficult to find off the shelf in this region - it’s best to plan ahead and buy online.
Yet to try sourcing direct from a BMW service centre though, that might be an option.

Speaking of the Dempster, the next section to take on is Vancouver to Tuktoyaktuk, the rough route is shown below.

IMG_2192.jpeg

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:35 PM
Reaction score
One thing to consider, getting your proper windscreen here in North America may be difficult given that we never got vehicles (officially) without the ADAS camera space.

I look forward to following along on this epic journey!!

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:35 PM
Reaction score
We’re about a month in and yesterday exited the US after starting the trip in Long Beach.
We’ve received some generous assistance along the way which might be nice to share here.

Iggy arrived with depleted batteries and despite responding to a jump pack was left with various fault warnings.

Bernhard at Leitner Designs cleared several of them but it took a whistlestop visit to Sierra Ineos to complete the reset.
Some weeks later we also found time for a routine service at Elliot Bay Ineos who were happy to service our diesel.

Both dealership teams made us very welcome and we’ve benefited also from the interest and encouragement of Ineos USA.

View attachment 7862428

We hopped from National Park to National Park (eight in total) up the west coast.
Thanks to Forum members @255/85 and @Bodhi’s Grenadier who kindly offered in-person recommendations along the way.

View attachment 7862431

Only real issue so far is the windscreen which was cracked by a piece of debris flung off by a truck on a freeway nearby Seattle.
Seems imprudent to replace a ‘screen before the Dempster Highway etc so we’re living with a ~10cm crack stabilised with a bit of superglue.

Might also be worth noting that oil of the correct spec (for a diesel) is difficult to find off the shelf in this region - it’s best to plan ahead and buy online.
Yet to try sourcing direct from a BMW service centre though, that might be an option.

Speaking of the Dempster, the next section to take on is Vancouver to Taktoyaktuk, the rough route is shown below.

View attachment 7862429
You should have dropped me a line when you landed. I’m only 20 minutes away. You missed out on a few beers and pizza ;)

Save travels guys.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You should have dropped me a line when you landed. I’m only 20 minutes away. You missed out on a few beers and pizza ;)

Save travels guys.
Yes, apologies Stu! It all came on in a rush in the end - I think pre-journey anticipation/Vorfreude sort of takes over. :)

We must convene at a later date!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Header led my thoughs to:
Yes, that’s the one. Reach the Arctic Ocean then turn south. In our case we’ll go all the way to Labrador/Newfoundland while we’re in striking distance.

Some complications also in Central America but that’s a problem for another day.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
One thing to consider, getting your proper windscreen here in North America may be difficult given that we never got vehicles (officially) without the ADAS camera space.

I look forward to following along on this epic journey!!
Yes, agreed - also thinking that @anand. Haven’t quizzed Ineos on it yet.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought all of the camera stuff was truck “mounted” with nothing attached to the glass. If that’s the case, I’d imagine the glass is the same.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I thought all of the camera stuff was truck “mounted” with nothing attached to the glass. If that’s the case, I’d imagine the glass is the same.
Indeed, I think it would mean we have the ADAS ‘surround’ on the glass but if I look at our existing screen the issue would be cosmetic only, and largely concealed by the Wolfbox we have fitted.

Fitting a non-ADAS glass to an ADAS vehicle may be an issue however as the lens could be obscured.

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Indeed, I think it would mean we have the ADAS ‘surround’ on the glass but if I look at our existing screen the issue would be cosmetic only, and largely obscured by the Wolfbox we have fitted.

Fitting a non-ADAS glass to an ADAS vehicle may be an issue however.
Correct, nothing is actually "mounted" to the glass, however it does have a surround on the glass for the ADAS camera. Other than a bit of a funny outline, there's nothing wrong with putting an ADAS windshield on a non-ADAS vehicle; other way round though would give you some issues

Bodhi’s Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7862428

View attachment 7862431

Speaking of the Dempster, the next section to take on is Vancouver to Tuktoyaktuk, the rough route is shown below.

View attachment 7862429
I love watching your guys journey! 🤙🤙

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It’s a pretty epic drive from Whitehorse in the Yukon to Anchorage, Alaska via Wrangell-St Elias National Park. After largely insect-free Oz and Siberia crossings the mosquitoes finally asserted themselves in the Alaskan birch forests. Fortunately they are the size of small aircraft and can be heard on approach.

Iggy is powering along, although we cracked the windscreen for a second time (oncoming truck). Frustratingly I managed to damage the rear camera cable for the Wolfbox making it a giant dashcam until we work out a shipping solution for a replacement. Past due for a clean so this is next on the list.

Pleased to discover that the LL-04 spec oil mentioned previously is readily available off-the-shelf in Canada.

Stopped for lunch below with Matanuska Glacier in the background.

IMG_2442.jpeg

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great to learn you are making progress ... no doubt there's a lot to take in along the way... ! Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures and that the travel gods smile on you ;)

EDIT : one of these days when you have time, I'd love to see how you've packed Iggy for yr trip! The tent in the photo in post #1 seems different from the yellow Hilleberg ...is it a tent-swag of some sort or same tent with a fly:unsure:?

Last edited:

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The freedom of the road. Lunch happens when and where you want - not when you find an off ramp.🏔️

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great to learn you are making progress ... no doubt there's a lot to take in along the way... ! Looking forward to hearing more of your adventures and that the travel gods smile on you ;)

EDIT : one of these days when you have time, I'd love to see how you've packed Iggy for yr trip! The tent in the photo in post #1 seems different from the yellow Hilleberg ...is it a tent-swag of some sort or same tent with a fly:unsure:?
Thank you, Denis! Correct, that’s the Hilleberg but this time with the outer layer/fly fitted. The yellow thing is the inner tent.
It has a third component - a groundsheet - also integrated in this configuration. The inner tent can be substituted for a mesh version for use in tropical areas. Great system, and very light and small.

Packing is pretty much as you see in this thread:
https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/pan-american-trip-build.12415799/

Only real change has been the addition of a couple of Frontrunner Wolfpack Pro boxes on the roofrack.
While we’re in North America these contain firewood/briquettes for camping purposes.

I’ll stick some service consumables up there for South America.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Love following along - very excited for you!

Quick question: Are you guys running two fridges, or just the one drawer? Is the drawer size sufficient?
Just the one 30L drawer fridge. We actually downsized from a 40L used on the Oz crossing. We’re using it mostly for breakfasts, lunches, snacks, drinks etc and it’s been enough for short camping trips. When camping we balance a bit more towards dry foods etc to compensate for the small capacity.

The frdge I think doesn’t have quite as much airspace as it would like so runs a bit harder than it should. Nonetheless, no problem with the standard dual battery system and we generally leave it running 24/7.

Back
Top Bottom