The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Pan American Highway progress updates

AWo

Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
@globalgregors Did they check/inspect that your calliper is functioning correctly? The only time I have seen a significant difference in wear between outside and inside brake pads was if the brake caliper slides were seized or the caliper piston was not retracting properly after being applied. Your pictures definitely show abnormal wear and should not be dismissed without finding the root cause.
Exactly. All brakes are designed in a manner that the pressure is equal on both sides. If one side shows more wear, something is wrong.

AWo

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:25 AM
Reaction score
thanks!

do you also have a procedure for replacing the pads?
I’ve not done this on the Gren but it’s not a difficult task.

In this case I had a warning showing, was on the service interval and wanted to change out transfer/axle oils, all while keeping warranty.

Headed to Dilawri Ineos in Mississauga (Toronto) for the work.
Harneet, Shub, Ray and the whole team couldn’t have been more welcoming and helpful.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a theory...
As fas as I can see there is no return spring under the park brake handle or at the adjustment point under the rear seat. The return force might only be from the short extension springs fitted on each rear caliper. Perhaps that's not enough.
The park brake looks like it operates via a lever onto the back of the inner brake pad on each rear caliper. Maybe through a cam? I have no experience with this arrangement or Brembo calipers so this is a guess.
Unusually for an offroad vehicle there are no shrouds to protect the rear discs from kicked up road debris and dust. Because of the low return force, it may be that the inner pad is always in light contact with the disc, or the gap is so small that it fills with dust and grinds away at the pad. It's a big amount of wear difference over 43,000km (25,800 miles) hence it's a theory and maybe a bad one. A quick Google does return stories about sticky guides and pins on Brembo products so that's definitely worth a look.
I’ve posed this amongst my own inexpert postulations back to Ineos USCA. Let’s see if anything comes back.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@globalgregors I have driven quite a bit of BC and AK and your photo there in Post #23 just absolutely knocks me out of my seat.

On one hand, it's "typical" scenery there. As you know. But on the other hand, OH MY GOD I want to drive that road right NOW. 🥹 Keep On Truckin'.
Yep, amazing views on the Dempster… north Klondike Valley towards Tombstone Mtn.

IMG_2604.jpeg

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:25 PM
Reaction score
Well done mate and Iggy looks in fine fettle still 👍

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great news! glad all going well. Our forum colleague @IslandFalconer is "somewhere" in the Atlantic vicinity (Prince Edward Island)... but a small map represents a massive area😊
Oh, that’s good to know - we’re headed to Nova Scotia after Newfoundland. I’ll take a look!

Back
Top Bottom