The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Pan American Highway progress updates

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
@globalgregors : great to hear from you!
The pic. looks like prime waterfront location not far from downtown Tuktoyaktuk?:ROFLMAO::love: I looked it up on "trip advisor" while listening to "Roy & HG" 's take on the Paris Olympics.!!
Thank you for sharing thus far. Looking forward to more despatches from the wiles of the deep north. Stay safe!
Cheers
DM.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@globalgregors : great to hear from you!
The pic. looks like prime waterfront location not far from downtown Tuktoyaktuk?:ROFLMAO::love: I looked it up on "trip advisor" while listening to "Roy & HG" 's take on the Paris Olympics.!!
Thank you for sharing thus far. Looking forward to more despatches from the wiles of the deep north. Stay safe!
Cheers
DM.
Yes, correct! It was not swimming weather, regardless of one’s enthusiasm.

I think tomorrow is Day 60 and we’ll have ticked over 14,000kms covered since departing Long Beach.

From here (Yukon) we head to Labrador & Newfoundland, somewhat closer to major centres for much of that route.

The Dempster is generally pretty good, apart from where/when it’s not, as indicated by our new wrap. Most of it is a sharp, shale-like aggregate with soft shoulders, about equivalent to the Great Central Road in terms of present condition of both. Steady 80-90kmh in the Gren, average fuel consumption 15.8L/100kms between the aired-down tires and loose surface.

Amazing variable landscapes though… think Siberia, Greenland, Scotland except vast and largely empty.

IMG_2621.jpeg

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Still rolling, now approaching Toronto for a service.

Windscreen has been cracked for a third time, although none of the three hamper visibility so it’s staying for now.

We’ve had a ‘Brake Wear’ warning (see below) showing since the tail end of the Dempster which I am 80% sure is the result of damage to the sensor cable, not that I have been able to find said damage.

Pads are worn but not so much that one would expect an alert.

Also time for a rotation and wheel alignment after 2000kms or so of potholes.

After chatting with Ineos, and being in striking distance of an agent, we’ve decided to divert - noting Iggy will be slightly overdue wrt interval by the time we roll into Dilawri Ineos in Mississauga, Ontario.

Fuel economy on these long highway stretches is around 13L/100kms at 100kmh, with the boxes etc on the rack. Most of the roads we’re on have a posted 90kmh limit but local behaviour varies.

Canadians are no less friendly out here anytime we stop and it’s been a real pleasure chatting with folks who are roundly 50:50 split between interest in the Grenadier and interest in the wandering Aussies.

IMG_0322.jpeg

IMG_2679.png

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, so an update on the above issue which will be of interest to the long-rangers/remote area users on the forum.

The Gren is known to consume inside rear brake pads. We will be an extreme example as Iggy has done an unusual amount of high-speed backcountry/gravel roads… not to mention 1200 dunes at or near maximum GVM. This despite a comparatively low odometer of 43,000kms.

Inboard versus outboard starboard side rear caliper. The small notch is the mounting location for the brake wear sensor:
IMG_2748.jpeg

What little remains of the inboard pad:
IMG_2749.jpeg

…and the outboard pad from the same caliper for comparison:
IMG_2750.jpeg

What remains of the sensor which delivered the fault in my previous post:
IMG_2751.jpeg

Perhaps most importantly, what to look for on your own vehicle.
51b0dee9-044c-46a9-b733-0b73a0beb10e.jpeg

Ours was being held together by caked on muck, so be sure to clean things down properly before inspecting.

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:12 PM
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the update! the detail and pictures are super helpful. so the interior pads wore down almost completely and severed the sensor wire? Will be interested to see if there is some adjustment that everyone should make to avoid the wire being worn through?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the update! the detail and pictures are super helpful. so the interior pads wore down almost completely and severed the sensor wire? Will be interested to see if there is some adjustment that everyone should make to avoid the wire being worn through?
Yes, that’s correct. The accelerated wear could have been detectable at our previous service so it may be as simple as confirming that your agent/service provider have paid specific attention to those inboard rear pads.

Fronts meanwhile have >20,000kms left on them.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just got down and dirty at the local jet wash so the worst is sorted. Squirting through the rim apertures is clearly insufficient for this tenacious northern muck.

I’ll unpack the wash down outfit at Halifax and repeat the exercise hopefully without getting so wet and filthy again.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I just got down and dirty at the local jet wash so the worst is sorted. Squirting through the rim apertures is clearly insufficient for this tenacious northern muck.

I’ll unpack the wash down outfit at Halifax and repeat the exercise hopefully without getting so wet and filthy again.
Maybe you should have just worn your Baywatch swimming trunks. 😂

Xrford

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
@globalgregors Did they check/inspect that your calliper is functioning correctly? The only time I have seen a significant difference in wear between outside and inside brake pads was if the brake caliper slides were seized or the caliper piston was not retracting properly after being applied. Your pictures definitely show abnormal wear and should not be dismissed without finding the root cause.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:12 PM
Reaction score
@globalgregors I have driven quite a bit of BC and AK and your photo there in Post #23 just absolutely knocks me out of my seat.

On one hand, it's "typical" scenery there. As you know. But on the other hand, OH MY GOD I want to drive that road right NOW. 🥹 Keep On Truckin'.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:12 PM
Reaction score
OK, so an update on the above issue which will be of interest to the long-rangers/remote area users on the forum.

The Gren is known to consume inside rear brake pads. We will be an extreme example as Iggy has done an unusual amount of high-speed backcountry/gravel roads… not to mention 1200 dunes at or near maximum GVM. This despite a comparatively low odometer of 43,000kms.

Inboard versus outboard starboard side rear caliper. The small notch is the mounting location for the brake wear sensor:

View attachment 7867345

Ours was being held together by caked on muck, so be sure to clean things down properly before inspecting.

thanks!

do you also have a procedure for replacing the pads?

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@globalgregors Did they check/inspect that your calliper is functioning correctly? The only time I have seen a significant difference in wear between outside and inside brake pads was if the brake caliper slides were seized or the caliper piston was not retracting properly after being applied. Your pictures definitely show abnormal wear and should not be dismissed without finding the root cause.
I have a theory...
As fas as I can see there is no return spring under the park brake handle or at the adjustment point under the rear seat. The return force might only be from the short extension springs fitted on each rear caliper. Perhaps that's not enough.
The park brake looks like it operates via a lever onto the back of the inner brake pad on each rear caliper. Maybe through a cam? I have no experience with this arrangement or Brembo calipers so this is a guess.
Unusually for an offroad vehicle there are no shrouds to protect the rear discs from kicked up road debris and dust. Because of the low return force, it may be that the inner pad is always in light contact with the disc, or the gap is so small that it fills with dust and grinds away at the pad. It's a big amount of wear difference over 43,000km (25,800 miles) hence it's a theory and maybe a bad one. A quick Google does return stories about sticky guides and pins on Brembo products so that's definitely worth a look.

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes excellent question, rest assured this is now firmly on the radar.

For now the calipers tested normally.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
All brake pads replaced on mine at 18k. I did get the old ones back some more worn than others, I guess these were the back ones that were worn more.

Back
Top Bottom