The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mandatory speed limiter EU on all cars from July 2022 and retrofitted in every other car by 2024

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
And keep in mind, all of these countries permit motorcycles. Why is riding one of those ok in a civilized society intent on preventing unnecessary deaths?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
And keep in mind, all of these countries permit motorcycles. Why is riding one of those ok in a civilized society intent on preventing unnecessary deaths?
You make a very good point. There is a national beauty spot, (Grey Mare's Tail waterfall) near us and the road is used as a motorbike 🏍 touring hot-spot. In the summer months there is one death or serious accident weekly.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:54 AM
Reaction score
The law force no one to retrofit his car. New car (with first type approval after 2022, must have it from first day on the road after July 2024 and/or if a car was build after July 2024) the Ineos first type approval, and millions of other used cars, have not to be retrofitted. What is true is, that you get a discount on the insurance, if you car is equipped with such systems. The Audi S3 of my son get at new insurance and 30% discount, because the car had the full range of assistance system.
My may 2023 Grenny is equipped with nothing, and hopefully alive in 20 year. my company BMW 5series build July 23, is even without the full range of electronically assistance and I really miss them on long motorway travel.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
The law force no one to retrofit his car. New car (with first type approval after 2022, must have it from first day on the road after July 2024 and/or if a car was build after July 2024) the Ineos first type approval, and millions of other used cars, have not to be retrofitted. What is true is, that you get a discount on the insurance, if you car is equipped with such systems. The Audi S3 of my son get at new insurance and 30% discount, because the car had the full range of assistance system.
My may 2023 Grenny is equipped with nothing, and hopefully alive in 20 year. my company BMW 5series build July 23, is even without the full range of electronically assistance and I really miss them on long motorway travel.
Imagine them trying to enforce retrofit of millions of cars, many of which have no computer.
Retrofit a speed limiter on a Trabant???
Owner would say " I wish I could get up to that speed"

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
Nothing new.

We toured California in 1979 in a rental car (a Ford Fairmont, looked a bit like a Granada)
It had a speedometer that only went up to 85mph and a big circle round 55
If you exceeded 55mph there was a relentless bonging noise.

We eventually tuned out the noise in our heads after hours of driving on endless straight roads across deserts with the speedometer pinned against the end stop.

Back then you wouldn't see another car for hours out there. Not sure what the penalty would have been if caught, Electric Chair probably.

lt was the time of the film "Convoy" and there was talk in the car of "Kojak with a Kodak" and "Bears in the air" but we never saw anything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom