The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Mandatory speed limiter EU on all cars from July 2022 and retrofitted in every other car by 2024

Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
Not much to add except "Told you so!". :rolleyes:
I wonder how this will be fitted into the IG?.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
I dont live in the EU but I did do some digging and it looks like you might be overstating the facts. The speed limiter is coming but you will have the ability to turn it off. The car will not stop you from speeding but provide a warning that you are speeding via haptic or acoustic noise. if ignored, it will stop.

Here is a great video explaining the situation. Here in the US, it will never happen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u90uIuoqnQ0&t=356s
And when an accident occurs they will review how many times you made that alarm go off prior and apply the accident just have been caused by said violations prior. Off or not it will be following your every move. EU is slowly going towards the police state although faster than I thought.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So 20,000 people a year die on the roads in the EU, around 40,000 in the USA.

That's about the population of a medium sized town.

Supposedly the percentage of road deaths where excess speed is a factor is in the 70's.

While countries/states have ridiculous laws on bent bananas and transporting false teeth across state lines, it is absolutely their job to reduce those road deaths. I cannot see that being an infringement of civil liberty.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
The EU demands that there will be 0 (zero!) road deaths by 2050. 🥳

The only way to do is is doubtlessly to simply forbid individual traffic, or, to be precise, motor vehicle traffic at all.

Leaving aside the question of whether this is even possible, this objective gives the EU the opportunity to regulate motor vehicle traffic in a feudal manner according to their own (and therefore ideological) standards.

Yes, I absolutely consider this an infringement of civil liberty.

In Germany, we drove 215'208'034 Kilometers per road death in 2022. More than 215 million (!!) kilometers, more than 5300 trips around the world.

I don't argue against ADAS installations. But the way they do it is intrusive and not helpful. And one should always keep in mind how small the amount of road deaths is in face of the traveled kilometers.

I simply can't stand the do-gooder attitude any longer, which has no connection to reality or the actual numbers.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The EU demands that there will be 0 (zero!) road deaths by 2050. 🥳

The only way to do is is doubtlessly to simply forbid individual traffic, or, to be precise, motor vehicle traffic at all.

Leaving aside the question of whether this is even possible, this objective gives the EU the opportunity to regulate motor vehicle traffic in a feudal manner according to their own (and therefore ideological) standards.

Yes, I absolutely consider this an infringement of civil liberty.

In Germany, we drove 215'208'034 Kilometers per road death in 2022. More than 215 million (!!) kilometers, more than 5300 trips around the world.

I don't argue against ADAS installations. But the way they do it is intrusive and not helpful. And one should always keep in mind how small the amount of road deaths is in face of the traveled kilometers.

I simply can't stand the do-gooder attitude any longer, which has no connection to reality or the actual numbers.
I suppose that after 2050 nobody will be jumping out in front of a bus/wagon to commit suicide then, as it will still be a road death.

TXJOHN

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:58 PM
Reaction score
I find it amusing that in the US there were more deaths by firearms than by cars, but stricter rules on cars.
Those politicians know where the votes come from.
Well over 1/2 of gun deaths are by suicide, which has increased dramatically since COVID.

Local time
Reaction score
I suppose that after 2050 nobody will be jumping out in front of a bus/wagon to commit suicide then, as it will still be a road death.

By 2050 the EU would of banned personal cars, every one will be in 15 minutes cities, trucks and buses will be autonomous and will recognise people and everyone will be happy owning nothing.

ecohen2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
In the USA 2022 there were 3,308 people killed and and nearly 290,000 people injured in traffic crashes involving distracted drivers. (NHTSA) The number keeps going up...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

ecohen2

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:58 PM
Reaction score
I read 43.000 here (try google translate if necessary):

You are correct on the total number of deaths... My number is a subset of those related directly to distracted driving...

People in the US are complaining about driver insurance rates going up... I remind them that over 200k are almost 100% avoidable... That surely would impact insurance rates...

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
By 2050 the EU would of banned personal cars, every one will be in 15 minutes cities, trucks and buses will be autonomous and will recognise people and everyone will be happy owning nothing.

On a plus side to the 15 minute city, think of the benefits, when people consider a big trip to be an hour long and going on exotic holidays means catching a train to the nearest coastline. 👍

I used to work for the government and quite frankly I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could kick them.

The UK is about to hit a new low on 4th July, our American cousins will be celebrating their own holidays and the UK will be celebrating the toilet finally being flushed on anything reasonable. All the moaners think it’s bad now, give it until July 2025 and see what they think then 😂

Local time
Reaction score
They introduced a clean air zone and bus lanes in our nearest city people don’t bother going so the businesses moved out. They pedestrianised the streets by my friends city centre shopp killed all trade.

Last edited:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
They introduced a clean air zone and bus lanes in our nearest city people don’t bother going so the businesses moved out
In Seattle they keep threatening to do congestion charges, don't allow enough parking in new construction, keep raising business taxes, refuse to prosecute thefts or activist judges throw out the charges by reason of "crime of necessity" and wonder why businesses keep leaving. The goal of these 15 minute city proponents are in direct odds with all of their other political beliefs and the outcome is just more sprawl.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The very nature of this thread lends itself to political discussions and we try to avoid that around here. No harm no foul yet, but let's not let this one get away from us. We all know how quickly that can happen around here!

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Not much to add except "Told you so!". :rolleyes:
I wonder how this will be fitted into the IG?.
Except your thread title is wrong.

It is not being retrofitted in every other car. It is only to be retrofitted into any vehicle being retailed as new. For most car manufacturers, that won't be an issue as they have had one of the 3 allowable methods in place for over a decade, some for nearly two decades (the UK was a trial country that started over 20 years ago). The main difference is that it was set to off by default but will be set to on by default in the future.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:58 PM
Reaction score
Well over 1/2 of gun deaths are by suicide, which has increased dramatically since COVID.
Yes i saw that in the figures.
We had the same problem in Australia, now they have to find other means to commit suicide but it is still a large problem.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I would say all this retrofitting will kill second hand cars, but I know that everyone here knows that and it is exactly what they want it to do.

Wonder how the “working man” will get to work when they can’t afford the latest greatest car.

Local time
Reaction score
Protecting life is a trade off. I have a 1973 mgbgt that would certainly kill me in a wreck, 3 land cruisers, an old Isuzu, Gwagon etc. None are up to modern standards. Each society weighs freedom and enjoyment of life differently. The US has more deaths, but, I don’t think the risk or cost benefit is out of line. There are diminishing returns for each piece of legislation and if each life is to be considered more valuable than freedom, then the only answer is to eliminate cars and lock your doors. Life is a risk. Take it. The odds you’ll enjoy it are greater than dying, up to the point you actually do.

Back
Top Bottom