The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Making a spare key?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
There are some pictures in this thread:

Bruce

Global Grenadier #51
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
Went to my local locksmith today and he said even if I provided the blank it takes a special machine to cut these “high security automotive keys“. Recommended I go to the dealer. Ugh.

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:25 PM
Reaction score
Went to my local locksmith today and he said even if I provided the blank it takes a special machine to cut these “high security automotive keys“. Recommended I go to the dealer. Ugh.
Ineos has a monopoly on keys then?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
Try another locksmith. My shop had no problems. $60 for 2 keys.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
After having no success finding the magic Renault blank at any locksmith I tried, I stumbled upon a workable substitute.

Grenadier KEY BLANK.JPG

It's a commonly available key blank available at most locksmith shops and even better hardware stores in the U.S. The blank is an Ilco KK12-P for various Kia and Hyundai vehicles. (The black tape is for privacy online.)

You will need to find a locksmith with a basic cutter as the programmable cutters can't seem to make heads or tails out of the Ineos fob. Different machines have returned varying chip/code numbers and still refuse to cut a blank. Additionally Ineos doesn't show up on the lists of known vehicles. Make certain whoever cuts the key is very meticulous.

When used in the driver's door lock the key will disable the alarm and unlock all five doors at once. When exiting the vehicle the key will lock all exterior doors. Inserted into the ignition it will turn the switch to the "on" position and all lights and pre-start functions will begin. Turned to the "start" position it has no effect until the fob (chip end) is placed adjacent to the key. The vehicle will then start normally and the fob can be placed elsewhere. Keeping the fob handy will allow for quick restarts if the vehicle is stalled, etc.

There is an unfortunate consideration with this blank. It is slightly too wide/tall. While the key length and thickness are correct, the width is approximately 0.015" too great. Five minutes of flat-filing solves the issue. Make a half dozen strokes on one side then switch to the other for a half dozen. Repeat until the desired width is reached. The new key should slide in smoothly. if it doesn't then the width may still be too great. Using a micrometer helps. You don't want to get the new key stuck in the lock or ignition. Good luck.

Last edited:

QRgren

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 PM
Reaction score
This also works - had a locksmith cut one and required a bit more shaving of the key closer to the fob for it to be inserted into the door all the way (as noted in post above).

Search Amazon:

SEGADEN Replacement Key Shell CE0523 Type VA2 Blade Compatible with Peugeot 1007 807 4 Button Keyless Entry Flip Remote Key Case Fob SS316

ipcrss

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
I posted on this a while ago, when I had one cut in the UK. There are a few issues but my very cheap Ebay emergency spare key unlocks the door if used with care.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
For those that don't find any of the above in stock when they drop by their locksmith's shop...

SIP22.jpg

SIP22 is another key blank that will work when thinned. It's only 0.010" too wide but the shoulder also needs to be moved back a bit. It's also used in some Ferraris.

Most of these keys can also be purchased with a blank chip or a way to add a chip after the fact. I'm pretty certain Ineos has used a Megamos glass chip.

unimogfrog

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After having no success finding the magic Renault blank at any locksmith I tried, I stumbled upon a workable substitute.

View attachment 7860006

It's a commonly available key blank available at most locksmith shops and even better hardware stores in the U.S. The blank is an Ilco KK12-P for various Kia and Hyundai vehicles. (The black tape is for privacy online.)

You will need to find a locksmith with a basic cutter as the programmable cutters can't seem to make heads or tails out of the Ineos fob. Different machines have returned varying chip/code numbers and still refuse to cut a blank. Additionally Ineos doesn't show up on the lists of known vehicles. Make certain whoever cuts the key is very meticulous.

When used in the driver's door lock the key will disable the alarm and unlock all five doors at once. When exiting the vehicle the key will lock all exterior doors. Inserted into the ignition it will turn the switch to the "on" position and all lights and pre-start functions will begin. Turned to the "start" position it has no effect until the fob (chip end) is placed adjacent to the key. The vehicle will then start normally and the fob can be placed elsewhere. Keeping the fob handy will allow for quick restarts if the vehicle is stalled, etc.

There is an unfortunate consideration with this blank. It is slightly too wide/tall. While the key length and thickness are correct, the width is approximately 0.015" too great. Five minutes of flat-filing solves the issue. Make a half dozen strokes on one side then switch to the other for a half dozen. Repeat until the desired width is reached. The new key should slide in smoothly. if it doesn't then the width may still be too great. Using a micrometer helps. You don't want to get the new key stuck in the lock or ignition. Good luck.

Thanks for posting this alternate Key info. I ordered the blank KIA key that You found and had a local Locksmith cut it for me and after a bit of fiddling with my Dremel tool, I was able to get it to fit the Door lock and got it working reliably as a spare.
At first, the key would not go into the lock, but after careful examination of the shape and some minor tweaking, I got it working perfectly in case anyone else needs one, they do work as a door spare. The Key Blank and cutting cost me about $60 total.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
We use the spare keys all the time. Keys don't seem to ramp up the electronics the way using the fob does. If you're in and out of the vehicle, say at a camp site, the batteries don't discharge as much as when using the fob. Of course you can't activate the alarm so there's a drawback. I just mentioned elsewhere that the vehicle is fairly secure being stolen without the alarm activated.

Back
Top Bottom