The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Let's get some perspective: Is your Grenadier AC working as it should?

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:56 PM
Reaction score
Who else's AC is batsh1t crazy and randomly blows hot air one day and cold the next on the exact same setting? I don't think the AC system got the attention it deserved during the 1.2 million miles of road testing, that's for sure. I love my new truck but it's the one thing that drives me nuts on pretty much a daily basis as I fiddle away at the controls and I'm surprised Ineos haven't found a fix for it yet. I gather it's down to sticky solenoid valves or such like and is probably an expensive warranty concern for them.

It would be useful to set up a poll on this forum and get an idea of what percentage and numbers of owners here have flaky AC. This forum must represent a decent amount of the Grenadier owner population, perhaps it would help sharpen Ineos' perspective on the issue if it popped up on every Google search relating to Grenadier AC issues. I don't have the ability to raise a forum poll but maybe @Stu_Barnes would consider it a worthy exercise

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score
My heat is good and the AC blows ice cold. However, if I get the hot-AC-out-the-rear-vents it is not easily reset by pushing buttons, shutting off for 5-minutes, or even shut-down-and-lock overnight.

Vote:
Upvote 0

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
I’m in a similar boat to others. I’ve had the following issues so far:
  1. Rear vents blow very hot when set to full cold. Happened once in July, hasn’t happened since.
  2. Very slow to engage directional flaps that are also noisy.
  3. “Auto” does not always blow the temp air selected.
  4. Yesterday for the first time the AC was making a strange noise. If I turned it off but kept the fan on it stopped. That combined with the power steering whine was pretty annoying.

Vote:
Upvote 0

HogRider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Haven't had issue since i went in to get my AC fixed, 3 separate times. 2 times they refill the Freon, final time they fix a hose.

To be fair though, I haven't really turned the heater on, so I'm not sure if i do that it would mess with the AC. But as of right now, last 4 month, AC's been working great. I have a condensation issue that they will need to address though.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Haven't had issue since i went in to get my AC fixed, 3 separate times. 2 times they refill the Freon, final time they fix a hose.

To be fair though, I haven't really turned the heater on, so I'm not sure if i do that it would mess with the AC. But as of right now, last 4 month, AC's been working great. I have a condensation issue that they will need to address though.
If you have condensation issue. That is on the outside of the windscreen (if I’m correct). Which demonstrates it’s not fixed because it’s blowing freezing ice cold air to the bottom of the windscreen when it shouldn’t through the demisters.

Blowing freezing cold air to the windscreen can cause it to crack (hot & cold thermal shock). Ineos has an issue with cracking windscreens spontaneously.

Vote:
Upvote 0

carpetman

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine is in the shop for the second time as it seems the refrigerant has leaked again! Some major design flaws in the AC system (hoses etc).

Vote:
Upvote 0

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I just had a new issue this morning, after filling up at the station, 2 messages popped up.

1 - “Climate Control Error”, and the fan would not turn on.
2 - “PDC Error”, and the parking sensors would not work (which I’m totally fine with, however the warning light is rather annoying).
3 - A third issue came up but I’m not sure what caused it, the auto start/stop button would not allow me to turn it off, which is part of my normal startup procedure.

Parked right now and waiting for my wife to get coffee, hopefully it resets and fixes itself.

Any thoughts???

EDIT: After letting it sit for about 15 min and restarting it there were no more warning lights/error messages and the Dan started working again. I wish they would figure this out and release a TSB or recall for the fix.

Last edited:
Vote:
Upvote 0

Dr. John

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine, a highly spect Trial Master, has ongoing heating and AC problems. Much as others have reported, control is crude and has random responses. I had the AC re gassed, which gave me some cool air, and the heating is less variable since the system was purged and pressure filled whilst cold. The irony is that I wouldn’t last five minutes in the heat of the town its colour was named after, Eldoret.

Vote:
Upvote 0

HogRider

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If you have condensation issue. That is on the outside of the windscreen (if I’m correct). Which demonstrates it’s not fixed because it’s blowing freezing ice cold air to the bottom of the windscreen when it shouldn’t through the demisters.

Blowing freezing cold air to the windscreen can cause it to crack (hot & cold thermal shock). Ineos has an issue with cracking windscreens spontaneously.
Yes correct on the outside. So are you saying if I have AC on auto, and AC is on (Cold Air). It shouldn't blasting freezing air onto the windscreen? I'll ask my dealer about it when i go visit. I got a long list of stuff for them on my next visit.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes correct on the outside. So are you saying if I have AC on auto, and AC is on (Cold Air). It shouldn't blasting freezing air onto the windscreen? I'll ask my dealer about it when i go visit. I got a long list of stuff for them on my next visit.
Basically Auto is temperamental. Sometimes it may blast freezing cold air to the windscreen causing condensation on the outside when you wanted warm air. Leave it long enough it will probably turn to ice. Put it on manual until Ineos find a fix. Currently there isn’t a fix but do take it to a dealer and updates us if there are any developments.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Basically Auto is temperamental. Sometimes it may blast freezing cold air to the windscreen causing condensation on the outside when you wanted warm air. Leave it long enough it will probably turn to ice. Put it on manual until Ineos find a fix. Currently there isn’t a fix but do take it to a dealer and updates us if there are any developments.
Agree ... Auto is very temperamental! All of a sudden you have gale force air blowing! I stick with manual ☺️ .

Vote:
Upvote 0

Defender77

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With ~1200 miles after 1 month of ownership, my AC crapped out today with the dreaded temperate air in the front and super hot air in the back. Since I was a couple hours from home, I stopped and restarted the truck several times. I was sitting on the side of the highway, reading the forum and looking for solutions. None worked.
This is the first issue I have with my IG.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My truck is at the dealer right now for the AC problem. Of course it worked great when I dropped it off. The service rep said they were told by Ineos they have to treat every vehicle as if it were a different problem even though 90% are the same issue. What this means is if they fix one vehicles AC issue because it was faulty when it was dropped off they can’t fix another vehicle that the owner says is faulty with the same exact problem as the one they just fixed unless they witness it themselves.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Jonsharon

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:56 AM
Reaction score
Who else's AC is batsh1t crazy and randomly blows hot air one day and cold the next on the exact same setting? I don't think the AC system got the attention it deserved during the 1.2 million miles of road testing, that's for sure. I love my new truck but it's the one thing that drives me nuts on pretty much a daily basis as I fiddle away at the controls and I'm surprised Ineos haven't found a fix for it yet. I gather it's down to sticky solenoid valves or such like and is probably an expensive warranty concern for them.

It would be useful to set up a poll on this forum and get an idea of what percentage and numbers of owners here have flaky AC. This forum must represent a decent amount of the Grenadier owner population, perhaps it would help sharpen Ineos' perspective on the issue if it popped up on every Google search relating to Grenadier AC issues. I don't have the ability to raise a forum poll but maybe @Stu_Barnes would consider it a worthy exercise
I have exactly the same problem ...

Vote:
Upvote 0

Gaston the Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Had mine in on Monday to diagnose A/C faults (mostly as described in this thread).
First thing they did was vacuum bleed the coolant system, as this is apparently responsible for many of the A/C problems (air locks).
Once bled, they tested the system and agreed that all was not as it should be.
A job request was then sent to Ineos who have to authorise the deeper search, which I’m told will take a couple of days as it involves ripping out most of the dash and interior.
My supplier has had a few in for A/C issues, and said that the coolant bleed cured most of them.

They also performed the latest software update (2 hours) which only came out last week.
I haven’t noticed any thing different.

Vote:
Upvote 0

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
Mine also does not working how it should.
It blows very hot or very cold but nothing in between. It seems that the rotation knob which sits in the middle only works in it's extreme positions. Left cold, right warm.
Very, very unsatisfying.

Vote:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom