The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
I guess us 4X4 owners are our own worst enemy. Each person trying to 1-up the next and having to upscale tyres in the process. But it's true - gotta get the tyre that works.

bradb622

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:28 AM
Reaction score
285/75/17 KO3s. No rubbing noticed. Love the look and driving feel. Heck, I just love the vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_5934.jpeg
    IMG_5934.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5935.jpeg
    IMG_5935.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 92

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
285/75/17 KO3s. No rubbing noticed. Love the look and driving feel. Heck, I just love the vehicle.
And these are with stock 17inch steely wheels? No offset tweak?

Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Spjnr userid=8443805 postid=1332804641]

In all honesty, INEOS hasn't built this as a bronco/wrangler competitor. 35s are not needed for any workplace, overland trip, or other utility usage. The only place where big tires are NEEDED, are arctic expeditions etc. I had a wrangler on 35s, it looked great, but realistically never needed anymore than 33s to go anywhere.

35s with a small lift etc is still better than most other 4x4s. but ill be sticking with 33s on mine!

You're not lying. I think it's just cause I think I'll only be able to afford one new car in my life lol and it's so rare I want it to have everything... rock crawling AND towing, for example. But just like everything else... it's gotta be pros and cons, not pros and pros. BUT... I do think a vehicle that weighs as much as the Grenadier would do well with wider 35's... it's a HEAVY GIRL. 35's are the new 33's. I'll be satisfied with 33s... but do think the ability to place 35's without cutting should be built in.
[/QUOTE]
It would take some real ignorance to compare an Ineos to a bronco or jeep.

Local time
3:28 AM
Reaction score
You're not lying. I think it's just cause I think I'll only be able to afford one new car in my life lol and it's so rare I want it to have everything... rock crawling AND towing, for example. But just like everything else... it's gotta be pros and cons, not pros and pros. BUT... I do think a vehicle that weighs as much as the Grenadier would do well with wider 35's... it's a HEAVY GIRL. 35's are the new 33's. I'll be satisfied with 33s... but do think the ability to place 35's without cutting should be built in.
It would take some real ignorance to compare an Ineos to a bronco or jeep.
[/QUOTE]

I does take 35’s without cutting anything on stock suspension. Do your research on wider tires versus pizza cutters. When you air down a pizza cutter it gives a similar contact patch area to a wider tire aired down but the patch shape is different. The pizza cutter has a longer contact patch which is preferential off road. On road, the pizza cutter is substantially lighter and narrower both of witch help with fuel economy acceleration.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Adding to everything @Commodore said about pizzacutter advantages:
  • quieter
  • lighter, easier turning & better steering return (I have no desire for a steering damper now)
  • better wet traction
  • generally better snow traction
  • less drivetrain strain for a given diameter (rotational mass)
I would expect them to be worse in deep sand. Pros and cons, as you say, @WJG-GMT II (y)

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
Adding to everything @Commodore said about pizzacutter advantages:
  • quieter
  • lighter, easier turning & better steering return (I have no desire for a steering damper now)
  • better wet traction
  • generally better snow traction
  • less drivetrain strain for a given diameter (rotational mass)
I would expect them to be worse in deep sand. Pros and cons, as you say, @WJG-GMT II (y)
I tried out pizza cutters on my GU Patrol to specifically target better soft sand performance but I went back to 285s with the same 33“ diameter as I found the car a bit too „slidey“ on gravel compared to the 285s.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The pizza cutter has a longer contact patch which is preferential off road.
Along that same line of thinking, I expect pizza cutters have a disadvantage when off camber and on rocks, where the lack of width can make it easier for the tire to slip off a rock laterally. I have the DuraTrac RT in 255/80R17 which has been great in the Sierras. I’ll see how well they do in Moab.

Back
Top Bottom