The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Largest Functional Tire Without Mods

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
Did you fit a 285/75r17 on stock 17” steel wheels with no lift?
No, I went 285/70r17. I did consider going bigger but it would mean street parking from now on.

mikemadden

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:20 AM
Reaction score
No, I went 285/70r17. I did consider going bigger but it would mean street parking from now on.
Okay I saw your post on the garage height - I had the same issue with a 67 bronco - nightmare I couldn’t get it in had to deflate the tires…eventually had to increase the height to 84” …i think the 285/75r17 might fit.

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I got pizza cutters:
IMG_0443.jpeg

I went with the Duratrac RT in 255/80R17 on Method 703 wheels. The slightly smaller offset on the Methods maintained the same scrub radius for the taller 33” tires so I don’t feel any difference in steering compared to stock. The Methods and the Duratrac RT ended up weighing exactly the same as the stock alloys and KO2s at 81.2 lbs each. So other than the slight loss in gearing, I don’t feel much difference in acceleration or power going uphill. I’ve raised the garage opening to 7’ so the Grenadier will now fit the garage with the Leitner rack installed.

You may be wondering why I bothered getting the alloy wheels and KO2s. I originally ordered them and then changed my mind but I wasn’t able to change my order anymore. Should have got the steel wheels. I will be using the stock alloys with winter tires, probably the Hakkapeliitta LT3.

Commodore

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I got pizza cutters:
View attachment 7863191

I went with the Duratrac RT in 255/80R17 on Method 703 wheels. The slightly smaller offset on the Methods maintained the same scrub radius for the taller 33” tires so I don’t feel any difference in steering compared to stock. The Methods and the Duratrac RT ended up weighing exactly the same as the stock alloys and KO2s at 81.2 lbs each. So other than the slight loss in gearing, I don’t feel much difference in acceleration or power going uphill. I’ve raised the garage opening to 7’ so the Grenadier will now fit the garage with the Leitner rack installed.

You may be wondering why I bothered getting the alloy wheels and KO2s. I originally ordered them and then changed my mind but I wasn’t able to change my order anymore. Should have got the steel wheels. I will be using the stock alloys with winter tires, probably the Hakkapeliitta LT3.

That looks great. I’m very curious on the effect on gearing. It is a fairly significant difference in tire size.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score
That looks great. I’m very curious on the effect on gearing. It is a fairly significant difference in tire size.
255/80/17s are only about 4.5% larger than stock, so it isn't a vast change, at least not super noticed given the gobs of low end torque and 8spd transmission... Perhaps on 35s a regear could be considered.

From doing the same tire size change on several Toyotas in the past, it was much more evident and pronounced on those vehicles

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The Duratrac RT comes large in that size at 33.3” in diameter, so the difference is 5.4%, but that’s not too big. I wouldn’t consider regearing until 34” or 35” tires. I believe the Grenadier’s stock R&P ratio is 4.1:1. Common ratio after that is 4.56:1 which would be perfect for 35” tires. We’ll have to see who comes out with gears for the Grenadier.

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got pizza cutters:
View attachment 7863191

Hi TahoeGren, I like your thought process on rims and tire size and keeping the same scrub radius. What are your thoughts in regard to on road sound noise level vs the KO2's. DaBull

TahoeGren

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi TahoeGren, I like your thought process on rims and tire size and keeping the same scrub radius. What are your thoughts in regard to on road sound noise level vs the KO2's. DaBull
Noise level is about the same, maybe a little bit quieter but sounds different. I would characterize it as a different pitch. The original Duratracs get loud when they wear down. I’m hoping the RT stays a bit more quiet since they have compromised a bit with narrower voids now, making them more like a regular AT tire.

Commodore

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The Duratrac RT comes large in that size at 33.3” in diameter, so the difference is 5.4%, but that’s not too big. I wouldn’t consider regearing until 34” or 35” tires. I believe the Grenadier’s stock R&P ratio is 4.1:1. Common ratio after that is 4.56:1 which would be perfect for 35” tires. We’ll have to see who comes out with gears for the Grenadier.

My mistake, I thought you went with the 34 1/2 inch pizza cutters. That is what I want to do but I’m very concerned about gearing. My bronco with “35’s” has 4.70 axle ratios 10 speed auto, and similar power in a lighter vehicle. New gearing is expensive to install and who know when they will be available.

parb

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I too have the duratrac rt. A very nice tire, no rubbing at all. Fits in the rear door and still let's me close the small door without a relocation bracket. I have the Ineos 18" alloy rims, I actually like how they look.

Sourced a set of steel 18" rims for my k02 that I took off the alloy rims. Going to use that combo for longer off-road adventures where I care about function more than style...

Back
Top Bottom